View Full Version : Vietnam Cross of Gallantry Update

01-28-03, 09:20 AM
Vietnam Cross of Gallantry Update: The previous Bulletin article on the
Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm award was incomplete. Readers should
review the following before taking any action: The Vietnam Cross of
Gallantry can be an individual or unit award for bravery in combat. For
unit awards the RVN government distinguished between units serving in
combat support of the Republic and in civic action support (or both)
awarding the RVN Cross of Gallantry with Palm, Unit Citation to combat
units and the the RVN Civic Actions Honor Medal, First Class, Unit Citation
to logistic units. According to the Department of the Army General Order
DA GO 8 1974 the Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation with Palm was
awarded to Headquarters U. S. Military Assistance Command (MACV) and all
its subordinate units during the period 8 FEB 1962 to 28 MAR 1973. All
military personnel who were assigned to units serving in-country Vietnam
during this period were considered assigned to MACV and its subordinate
units, regardless of service or component. Under DA GO 43 1970 the Vietnam
Cross of Gallantry was awarded to all military personnel of all branches
who served in-country Vietnam between 1 MAR 1961 and 28 MAR 1973 and to
U.S. Army Vietnam and its subordinate units for the period 20 JUL 1965 to
28 MAR 1973. Both of these DAGOs should be listed in Army Pamphlet 672-3
which contains all units specifically cited and is the guideline used by
NPRC for making corrections to DD-214s.
This is a foreign award that was issued by the Army of South
Vietnam. When awarded to U.S. military personnel it was awarded with
Silver Star (the equivalent to the US Army Silver Star) or with Bronze Star
(equivalent to the US Bronze Star). It is also the equivalent of the
French Croix de Guerre. When awarded to units it was always with Gold
Palm. As with U.S. unit awards all personnel in the unit during the period
of action for which the award is given may wear the award at all
times. Individuals not in the unit during the designated period can wear
the award only while assigned to the unit. As a foreign decoration the
Vietnamese Cross may not be worn until the award is approved by the US
Department of State. That approval is then passed to the Department of Army
and a General Order for the award is published [i.e. DA GO 43 1970 & DA GO
8 1974]. If you never received a medal, ribbon, or certificate it cannot
be reissued by NPRC since this is a foreign award However, amended
discharge papers (DD-215) can be issued if the citation is not listed on
your DD-214. If you want to confirm your eligibility you can request an
amendment by submitting a Standard Form 180 (SF-180) to the National
Personnel Records Command (NPRC). This form can be downloaded at
www.fra.org/links , http://members.aol.com/forvets/htomr.htm , or
.. Veterans who cannot access the Internet may call 1-800-FRA-1924 to
request the form. Further information is also available from your local VA
Any individual who wants to have their awards and decorations
reviewed and a replacement (one-time) set issued can write to: NPRC, 9700
Page Avenue, St Louis, MO 63132-5000. Upon receipt NPRC will access the
appropriate records, attach the request, and send the case to AFPC to
work. Include name, Service Number, SSAN, inclusive dates in the service,
DD Forms 214 if available, and current mailing address. Ask that the
records be reviewed for additional unit or individual awards and
decorations not reflected on the DD Form 214, correction of the DD Form
214, and issuance of a complete replacement set of awards and decorations
if desired. Veterans should expect to wait at least four-six months for a
response. Any request for changes to a DD Form 214 should be accompanied
by the necessary documents to substantiate the claim. Questions regarding
Air Force awards/decorations can be emailed to
Georgia.Wise@randolph.af.mil . Queries on verification cannot be answered
unless your request was previously submitted in writing with the
requester's signature to NPRC.
Many vets never received their Vietnam Cross of Gallantry who were
eligible. The medal and ribbon can be viewed at www.campeagle101.com. A
certificate suitable for framing can be purchased for a fee
at CampEagle101@aol.com. [Source: Armed Forces News 3 JAN 03, FRA
News-Bytes 0 JAN 03, VWV President Claire Starnes www.campeagle101.com &
http://members.aol.com/bn61st/vcg.htm ]