PDA

View Full Version : New park sign unveiled: City's James Street Park to now be called Veterans Memorial P

thedrifter
12-11-06, 11:19 AM
New park sign unveiled: City's James Street Park to now be called Veterans Memorial Park

By ROB MONTANA - STAFF WRITER

HORNELL - The City of Hornell's veterans will now have a place to call their own - or at least a place honoring them.

The city's James Street Park has been renamed Veterans Memorial Park, and now a sign is up at the park to prove it. Mayor Shawn Hogan and Billy Manry, a veteran of the Marines, took a moment Friday morning to acknowledge the sign - and the change.

“It's something I'd wanted to do for the last few years,” Hogan said, adding that Manry was one of the people pushing him to do it. “He's the one; he's been talking to me about it for a long time and kept pushing the idea.”

That's why Manry was on hand for the sign unveiling.

“I thought it would be great for a former Marine and veteran, the guy who was instrumental in pushing this through to be here today,” Hogan said.

Manry was pleased the city finally made the change, saying it gives veterans something honoring them.

“There was nothing in the city named for veterans,” he said. “Most people don't know James Street Park was named that because James Street used to run through here.

“I thought, let's name it Veterans Park,” Manry added.

His idea stuck with Hogan, who announced the change would take place during Veterans Day ceremonies in the Maple City. It was later approved by the Common Council.

Ellie