PDA

View Full Version : She's Off to Boot Camp...

Davids Girl
12-11-06, 02:48 AM
My bestfriend just left this morning at 10am and caught a bus to San Antonio. Her flight leaves tomorrow for South Carolina. Parris Island.

I'm not a Marine. She will be. Though I have never been more proud, I am so scared, worried and fear for her. Any advice?

I've already started writing letters. I know this sounds ridiculous, but she's so little... 19 years old, 5'4'' and 111 pounds soaking wet if she's lucky. But she's stubborn as hell and determined to be a United States Marine. I know she'll do it and I'm sure this is harder on me... Well I say that now, but the more I read on Boot Camp and the "tactics" of the Drill Instructors... I think it's she, who is going through 13 weeks of a living Hell.

God be with you girl and all my Angels too!!

Sgt Leprechaun
12-11-06, 08:19 AM
DG, my wife went through Recruit training in 1986, at 5'0, 100 pounds. She loved every minute of it, and would go back in a heartbeat, she did 6 years active duty.

Keep those letters coming, they'll help motivate her. Recruit training is tough, but it has to be. It'll be done before she, and you, know it.

Heart is 90 percent of the battle down there....if she has it, she'll be going across the grinder a proud United States Marine!

v/r

Davids Girl
12-12-06, 05:49 AM
Thank you.
I keep hearing that it's the letters that will keep her morale out of the toilet and keep her chin up.

I'm just worried about my handwriting on the address, giving the DI's something to pick on her about lol. I hear they'll pick anything, especially sticks of gum or candy bars or anything like that, stickers, or hearts and such on envelopes, so I'm trying not to sneeze crooked while I write the letters or I'm afraid I'll find a DI up my behind. lol

I'm printing out wallet size pics to send and writing a letter every day. Thanks so much for the encouragment.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-12-06, 01:21 PM
Keep it up...and FYI, it doesn't matter how you write the letter, just the mere fact she is getting letters will be enough for them to give her 'remedial' training if they want too...LOL...it's what...

Davids Girl
12-12-06, 03:25 PM
Thanks... lol. JUST great... I don't think I'm a fan of this "remedial" training. And I'm pretty sure I'll keep my opinion of the DI's to myself right now lol. I keep saying I have to protect my girl...but friends tell me that she'll be protecting me when she comes back.

I just sometimes have a hard time with the methods... BUT I do know that Terrorists don't work 9-5, so we can't train 9-5... ugh.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-12-06, 03:48 PM
LOL..nobody is a fan of remedial training..but that's what it takes. And, yes, she'll be protecting you..and all of us, when she comes back. She'll be a different person, in a good way, I assure you.

Nope, we can't train on 'bankers hours' that's for sure.

I did 10 years, total. Trying to get back into the reserves.

iamcloudlander
12-12-06, 04:11 PM
sgt leprechaun
check your birthdate and graduation date from boot camp.
damn you were only 7 days old when you went to boot camp.

thedrifter
12-12-06, 04:14 PM
sgt leprechaun
check your birthdate and graduation date from boot camp.
damn you were only 7 days old when you went to boot camp.

:banana:

Ellie

Davids Girl
12-13-06, 02:00 AM
I guess I worry too much. That's one of my traits lol...
I know that she will very much be changed, and part of me is over paranoid and scared she won't even know who I am. However of course I know that's ludicris and it's just my brain going on overdrive and making up wild fears and bizarre stories LOL.

I can't wait until we get to see her on Family day and watch her Graduate. It's MAY 9!! But... um, not that I'm counting down or anything ;) lol

I thought for a TINY minute about joining some service, but I'm a nurse, and have been for 6 years now and I love it. I did think about going in to the 'Chair Force' though as a Registered Nurse and I understand you can go in as an officer.... and yes... between my girl friend and the "David" that my name is based after... I know about the "love/hate" rivalry between the different branches... or maybe it's just a "kind/hate" rivalry lol But I know for sure I'm not cut out for the Corps. Oh well I think I'm too old anyway lol. They don't want old people.

I can't wait to get the phone call from her saying she's arrived safely... but we still haven't gotten that call yet. Still waiting. Thanks for the help and answers and talking to me, I do appreciate it lots!

Sgt Leprechaun
12-14-06, 12:22 PM
:banana:

Ellie

Yeah, I know, I'm an idiot LOL:mad:

It should read 1964. I'm salty, but not THAT salty LOL

And, I can't change it, probably a moderator can do it? HELP! lol

drumcorpssnare
12-15-06, 11:28 AM
Sgt.Leprechaun- Damn...you should have played it out! "Yeah, I went through boot camp as an infant....but I'm a BAD MO%H#R F@*K#R!!! Sure kept the Sr. Drill Instructor busy though. Ya know...diapers, bottles, strained carrots..." LOL:yes:

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

Sgt Leprechaun
12-15-06, 11:33 AM
HAHAHAHAHA...yeah, I could have done it that way...that would have been pretty funny LOL

Camper51
12-15-06, 11:56 AM
I just spit my coffee all over the keyboard and had to clean it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Osotogary
12-15-06, 01:27 PM
I'm printing out wallet size pics to send and writing a letter every day.
Davids Girl-
Is it possible for you to create a word document and insert a picture or two in that document and then print that document out and sent it to your daughter? This way, your daughter will have only one document/picture to handle.
I don't know if this has been mentioned to you but, if you can, try to be as brief as possible in your letters. Just let her know that you love her and support her in large, easy to read, print.
Here's a tip: Download/printout the training schedule matrix that should be available at each MCRD website. (You may have to "search for it".) This will show you the different stages of your daughter's training environment. When you write your daughter you will have a good general idea what phase of training she has gone through and you the can ask her, how was Grass Week, etc. She will then know that you have been tracking her progress, which I think is good.
Well, adios for now.
Gary

Davids Girl
12-15-06, 02:13 PM
That is a good idea to put the picture into a letter and print it out, however I'm making it my goal to hand write the letters and she said she'd prefer them in my handwriting.

As for them being short... lol I'm a bit long winded and I tend to tell her about episodes of Grey's Anatomy which is her favorite show and I figured it would be something to take her mind off Boot for a bit. I don't know if shorter is better, or if longer is. There's a lot of things I don't know, but I'm doing the best I can.

Does anyone know... I figure the Drill Instructors know every move and breath they take, even to the point of reading their letters... but I don't know if they're given any privacy at all. I can hope... but what's reality is a different thing... I guess I don't want to think about shower time...

Camper51
12-15-06, 02:51 PM
Drill instructors do NOT read private mail.

As to privacy, you have little or none. You shower with the other 79 recruits in your platoon, you brush your teeth with them, etc., etc., etc. (Yes there are at least doors on the stalls), however you will NOT have any time alone by yourself. The purpose of boot camp is to instill TEAM spirit and a willingness to immediately respond to orders. Hiding in your room is not conducive to that kind of need.

Keep your letters short and to the point. She does NOT need to hear the damn details of her favorite TV show. What she needs to hear is how the world is doing while she is undergoing training. She needs to know you are still there and she needs to know that her family cares.

In reading your posts, and I might be wrong, you sound a lot more concerned than just a friend.

Davids Girl
12-15-06, 07:33 PM
Well thank you for the information. Having not been to Boot Camp myself, I don't know what it's like :)
It's nice to have the folks on here as references for information and encouragment.

She is a cross between my sister and my bestfriend. She means the world to me and I would do anything for her or to ensure her safety. I worry about her. But worrying is my nature. I know she'll be just fine. I'm sure it's easier for her being that she is kept busy and doesn't have time to worry, meanwhile I'm the one here at home with too much spare time.

Teamwork is a good thing.

It is good to know that Drill Instructors do not have access to the recruits private mail.

sgt tony
12-15-06, 08:36 PM
:flag: Well I am proud that you are going to support her she will need to draw from all and we will be pulling for her as we do all. Keep us up on how she is doing.
I just hope that when she comes home after bootcamp that she do put a whopin on you ;)

Davids Girl
12-15-06, 08:55 PM
Thanks so much! Everyone who's answered my silly questions, due to my lack of knowledge regarding the Corps and Military has been great.

As for that 'whopin' I am very worried about that when I see her next. I am afraid I must start hitting the gym and get my butt in shape! I could overpower her before she left because I'm larger in size than she is, but we are the same height. I'm afraid I'm in trouble lol:scared:

I can't wait until March when I get to see her Graduate!

LeonardLawrence
12-15-06, 11:42 PM
DG- Sounds like you have the tough job here;)

You said "But she's stubborn as hell and determined to be a United States Marine"....in my limited experience that will be enough!

You know her best, so do what you think is right. My only advice would be to keep your concerns to yourself until May 10th ;)

Until then just let her know that things are okay with you and you are pulling for her...that should be enough.

:banana: And whatever you do....don't tell her Grey's Anatomy has been on rerun mode for two weeks

Sgt Leprechaun
12-16-06, 07:20 AM
DG, when I was in Recruit Training, long ago LOL....my parents and grandparents always wrote me mulitple letters each week, and I loved getting them; they basically just kept me up to date on what was going on at home and on the farm...even sent me pics of the new tractor...BOY, was THAT a mistake....paid for that one a good long time....

Point I'm trying to make, is, don't write anything that will cause her to worry. Your job, at this point, is to provide support in any way possible, which is basically by writing good things and even just mindless chatter about 'back home'.

Your questions aren't silly, don't sweat it. That's what this forum is here for. Keep us all informed!

v/r

Davids Girl
12-16-06, 11:44 AM
And as for the mood of the letters...trust me, watching out for her well being and making sure that her frame of mind is where she needs it to be, so that she can focus on doing what she needs to do so she can get through Boot Camp is my number one concern!

I've put out explicit threats to anyone who should dare to write something pessimistic lol

And sometimes I think that I have the rough job staying here at home... and then... :evilgrin: ... lol I'm glad I'm not in her shoes ;) Because I'd probably be standing in a puddle!
[/B]

dvldog4611
01-05-07, 07:54 PM
Just thought I would add my 2 cents on the Letters...

I LOVED getting lots of mail, still have them tucked away somewhere :)
Free time is VERY limited, so I wouldn't suggest novels every day. From experience don't do this ... I got a letter saying someone in my family was pregnant, but they didn't say who till the next letter, that about drove me nuts!