PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas to all, and to all Semper Fi

thedrifter
12-10-06, 07:44 AM
MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO (Dec. 8, 2006) -- Marine Band San Diego shared their musical talent with an eager audience in an elaborate Tree Lighting Concert at Joseph H. Pendleton Hall, Saturday.

The band performed prominent Christmas selections like Feliz Navidad, Carol of the Bells, Greensleeves, Sleigh Ride and A Christmas Festival.

They began practicing for the concert nearly a month prior and were quite pleased with the final production and sound, said Master Sgt. Daniel W. Price, band master.

“Greensleeves was the most difficult piece because it is intricate, delicate and slow, and has a very wide dynamic range,” said Price.

Production Resource Group donated the lights for the concert and helped coordinate the light patterns shown on the backdrop of the stage. Brian Farris and Julie O’Malley of PRG from Burbank, Calif., and Aaron A. Rapp, former Marine Band San Diego member, helped with the production and dedicated their time to ensure the show went perfectly, said Rapp.

The performance was flawless and generated enough energy throughout the crowd that spectators clapped with the rhythm of the music.

“I may seem like I have a bias opinion about Marine Band San Diego since I’m the depot sergeant major, but they are some of the best musicians I have ever heard,” said Sgt. Maj. Bobby B. Woods, Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego and Western Recruiting Region sergeant major. “I significantly enjoyed seeing all the families come out.”

Guests were welcomed by MCRD San Diego and WRR Commanding General Brig. Gen. Angie Salinas to the depot for the concert, which marked the beggining of the holidays.

Speaking to the audience, Brig. Gen. Salinas called for the children to help her flip the light switch to begin the annual event. Responding to the call, children moved to the front and center of the stage where they helped the general power on the tree lights after a short 3-2-1 count down.

“I liked counting down,” said 6-year-old Akira Hidaka-Gordon, son of Bruce Hidaka-Gordon, Assistant Chief of Staff Communications and Information on the depot.

When asked if it was fun Akira replied, “No, it wasn’t fun, it was super fun.”

Marine Band San Diego’s narrator for the evening, Staff Sgt. Andrew Cox, even coaxed all the recruits in training on the depot like to prove which training battalion was the loudest. To amplify the voices, Cox provoked them give war cries toward the end of the concert.

Every battalion claimed to have had the loudest cry. According to Pvt. Justin A. Stein, Platoon 2041, from the graduating Company G, “Second battalion was definitely the loudest.” Yet Cox, from Vian, Okla., said 3rd Bn. won.

The families, lights, music and holiday spirit made the concert a relaxing break from training, said Stein, a Sacramento, Calif. native.

As the concert came to a close, recruits and guests joined together to sing Jingle Bells, Silent Night, Joy to the World and Deck the Halls.

Ellie