PDA

View Full Version : Meade River 1968

yellowwing
12-09-06, 09:23 AM
Operation Meade River: Marine Search-and-Destroy Cordon of the Vietnam War
Operation Meade River in 'Dodge City' was the largest and most successful Marine search-and-destroy cordon of the Vietnam War.
By George A. Hill, Historynet.com (http://www.historynet.com/magazines/vietnam/3031116.html)

Called "Dodge City" by the troops because of its shoot-em-up characteristics, the area 10 miles south of Da Nang was familiar ground for the Marines. It was about five miles wide and three miles long. "It was low ground," says the official Marine Corps history, "criss-crossed with rivers and streams, honeycombed with caves and tunnels; each hamlet, with its bamboo and thorn hedges and its drainage ditches indistinguishable from fighting trenches, was a potential fortified position."...

...Intelligence had determined that remaining elements of the decimated VC Doc Lap Battalion, which had operated in the area against the Marines for more than three years, along with other understrength VC units and several hundred NVA (North Vietnamese Army) troops, were again massing in the area. Going northward through Dodge City were two major enemy infiltration routes used by the NVA to supply and assist the VC in the rocket belt, whose main objective had been, and continued to be, the destruction of the Da Nang airstrip. Intelligence also had information that an all-out attack against strategically located Hill 55, the 1st Marine Division headquarters on Hill 327, or the airstrip itself was imminent with this many enemy soldiers staging rapidly in the area.

On November 20, 1968, at 4 a.m., Operation Meade River commenced. The monsoons for this part of Vietnam had started in October. Temperatures were dropping, and the Marines often found the nights cold. The conditions were miserable, and the rains, averaging one inch daily, added to the misery.

The entire helicopter assets of the 1st Marine Air Wing were required to support the operation. Colonel Robert G. Lauffer, commanding officer of the 1st Marines, was designated Meade River commander. He personally supervised elements of seven Marine battalions the 1st Battalion, 1st Marines (1/1), the 2nd and 3rd battalions, 5th Marines (2/5 and 3/5), the 3rd Battalion, 26th Marines (3/26), and battalion landing teams (BLTs) from the 2nd Battalion, 26th Marines (2/26), and 1st and 2nd battalions, 7th Marines (1/7 and 2/7). The Marines surrounded an area 24,000 meters in circumference, with fire teams no more than 15 meters apart. This initial movement of 5,000 infantrymen into a tightly established cordon would be the key to the successful completion of Meade River. Twenty-eight hundred of the 5,000 troops were helilifted; approximately 2,200 more were moved by truck and on foot from Hill 55 and other company and battalion areas from along the north bank of the La Tho River, Liberty Road (Ambush Row), Highway 1 and Route 4. With the troops in place by 8:25 a.m., the cordon snapped shut.

Just prior to landing within the cordons boundary, a Boeing-Vertol CH-46 Sea Knight carrying one of the last elements arriving, a unit from the 3/5, was hit by enemy fire; it crashed and burned, resulting in six killed and nine wounded. In addition, as a truck convoy was moving toward the cordon, a command-detonated mine exploded halfway down the line of vehicles, destroying a 5-ton truck and wounding 19 men. Immediately, prepositioned dump trucks unloaded gravel and matting. The large hole was filled, the damaged truck removed, and the remainder of the convoy continued on into the area with little delay.

At 4:30 p.m. on the 20th, a recon team was inserted 1,000 meters south of the La Tho from the base on Hill 55 and immediately west of the cordon near Liberty Road to look for fleeing bands of the enemy. The team soon encountered enemy troops and opened fire, killing eight NVA and capturing an 82mm mortar from the enemy soldiers trying to escape the cordon. The recon team, with one wounded, was extracted back to Hill 55.

Later, it was learned from captured VC that news of the impending cordon and search operation had been received the previous day, November 19. The VC who reported this information were apprehended when villagers throughout the cordon were screened and sent to the refugee relocation center at the base of Hill 55. Fortunately, few enemy knew in advance of the cordon because of a breakdown in communication between the VC political arm and the Communist military units, a mistake that cost the enemy many lives.

The Marines were fortunate to have trapped many more of the enemy than anticipated. Found in the objective area was a sizable, well-organized and well-trained enemy force that chose to fight, utilizing solid fortifications throughout the area of operations.

Many NVA and VC would try to break the cordon along the northern boundary of the operation area and slip into the La Tho River, which ran along the base of Hill 55. The sniper platoon based at Hill 55 and expert riflemen from numerous combat and support units field artillery, anti-aircraft artillery, supply and engineers maintained firing positions day and night. These marksmen operated mostly from various sites that reached down to the river. Besides using Starlight scopes, the FLC sent two searchlight teams to the hill, which aided the American snipers. The searchlights would scan the river and the riverbanks, leaving little escape area for panicky enemy forces. The snipers kept a number of the enemy from escaping.

[article continues (http://www.historynet.com/magazines/vietnam/3031116.html)]

Operation Meade River looks like a text book operation where every element of the Marine Team contributed to its success! Intel, Ops, Grunts, Recon, Scout Snipers, Arty, Engineeers, Air, all did their jobs.

FistFu68
12-09-06, 09:48 AM
:usmc: THE BATTLE OF MEADE RIVER-WAS THE LARGEST HELICOPTER ASSULT;BY THE USMC~OF THE INTIRE VIETNAM WAR!THE USS.NEW JERSEY PUMPED~151 RND'S INTO THE AWAITING NVA-VC-REGT.MY S/SGT.KARL G.TAYLOR SR. WHO WAS K.I.A.ON THE 8TH.OF DEC.~EARNED THE CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR~HE GAVE HIS LIFE FOR HIS COUNTRY,AND HIS FELLOW MARINES OF INDIA CO.3d.BN.26TH.MARINES!AFTER 19 DAY'S OF HEAVY FIGHTING~H2H~INDIA PLANTED OLD GLORY!!!:iwo:

yellowwing
12-09-06, 01:37 PM
"Operation Meade River looks like a text book operation where every element of the Marine Team contributed to its success! Intel, Ops, Grunts, Recon, Scout Snipers, Arty, Engineeers, Air, all did their jobs." -
Oops can't forget Motor-T! :evilgrin:

FistFu68
12-09-06, 04:25 PM
:evilgrin: YOU MISSED A HELL'UVA PARTY MARINE~THE LEAP FROM THAT SEA STALLION;IN A HOT LZ~IN 28FT.OF ELEPHANT GRASS~WAS A PUCKER FACTOR~SON~(LOL):iwo: GUNG-HO-OOHRAH!!!

Dave Coup
01-06-07, 09:42 AM
Yeah Fist. I missed Meade River but can definitely relate to the pucker factor going out of a 46 into a hot LZ.

SF

Dave
:flag: :flag:

docusmcrvn
01-09-07, 12:12 AM
After I Finished With B,1/7. I Went To The Bas,on Hill 37,on Dec 8,68,me And 2 Other Doc's Went Out To A Co,1/7.replaced 3 Doc's That Were Wounded, Meade River.after We Linked Up With 1st Plt.. We Loaded All The Kia's Onto An Arvn Apc.at First The Arvn Sgt. Wouldn't Let Us Load The Bodies,but This One Sgt,opened Up The Back Hatch And Threw The Arvn Out The Top Hatch.then We Loaded All The Kia's Into The Track.
I Will Never Forget This,but I Never Knew The Sgt's Name.

Semper Fi!
Doc Kirkpatrick

JimmyWire
02-23-08, 07:59 PM
It would be an honor to hear from any Marine who was there with my brother Bill. Cpl. William C. "Bo Bad" Wirick - KIA Dec 8, 1968 Ops Meade River - Navy Cross - Also Mortarman Hill 881 Khe Sahn. We miss him so ... Thank You All, I feel you are my brothers too Semper Fi !!!

Wyoming
02-23-08, 08:17 PM
:evilgrin: YOU MISSED A HELL'UVA PARTY MARINE~THE LEAP FROM THAT SEA STALLION;IN A HOT LZ~IN 28FT.OF ELEPHANT GRASS~WAS A PUCKER FACTOR~SON~(LOL):iwo: GUNG-HO-OOHRAH!!!

Jack, those were CH-46's, which I proudly flew over the beautiful skies over SE Dump, er, Asia.

Semper Fidelis MY Brother, and I know you are tired of hearing this - Welcome Home!!!

Jeez, those were 2 words we DID NOT hear, at ****ing all!!

Dave Coup
02-24-08, 10:56 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Aint that the sad freakin' truth. I heard it for the first time from another Nam Vet about 4 years ago. Brother I don't get tired of hearing it or saying it.
WELCOME HOME MY BROTHERS and SEMPER FIDELIS

Dave
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Jack, those were CH-46's, which I proudly flew over the beautiful skies over SE Dump, er, Asia.

Semper Fidelis MY Brother, and I know you are tired of hearing this - Welcome Home!!!

Jeez, those were 2 words we DID NOT hear, at ****ing all!!

FistFu68
02-24-08, 01:32 PM
:usmc: LIKE DAVE ONLY HEARD IT A COUPLE TIMES IN MY LIFE,BUT WHEVER I MEET ANY YOUNGER VETERAN ALL THE WAY BACK;TO DESERT STORM OR A CPL.OF THE MARINES FROM BERUIT I MET.I GIVE THEM A WELCOME HOME,ESPECIALLY THE ONES COMING HOME NOW.THANK YOU DAVE AND BIG AL,WELCOME HOME MARINE :usmc: :thumbup:

unsung songs
07-02-10, 01:31 AM
Jim,

I knew your brother Bo "I'm so Bad I don't even want to talk about it cause I might scare myself" Wirick.

Miss him still. Would like to share stories with you. Things I think you'd like to know.
Please contact me through site or 310 699 3463.

Richard Tannenbaum

Mongoose
07-02-10, 07:34 AM
From the time I hooked up with 3/26. We went from one operation into another. With only short periods of time in our rear area ( Rock Crusher) I will say that of all the operations we were part of, Meade River was the biggest memeory maker. None of it good. It was like a bad dream you couldnt wake up from.

Lynn2
07-02-10, 08:02 AM
"criss-crossed with rivers and streams, honeycombed with caves and tunnels; each hamlet, with its bamboo and thorn hedges and its drainage ditches indistinguishable from fighting trenches, was a potential fortified position."..."

This Operation was after my time but the area is one we worked a lot.

I am pretty sure this is where our Company got its first MOH awardee. Real close for sure.

Like much of ICorps a tough area.

advanced
07-26-10, 06:22 AM
From the time I hooked up with 3/26. We went from one operation into another. With only short periods of time in our rear area ( Rock Crusher) I will say that of all the operations we were part of, Meade River was the biggest memeory maker. None of it good. It was like a bad dream you couldnt wake up from.

I agree with you Billy about the memories, beautiful down town Dodge City. I was there with the 3/5. We got a lot of fng's after that one.

Mongoose
07-26-10, 07:54 AM
I couldnt beleive nva had that many bunkers in one area. One bunker covering another bunker. Had to have close air support constantly. We had to fall back and regroup several times. Those mutha fvckers wouldnt quit. Fought to the death. Fistfu will tell you. We paid for every square inch in blood. Text book operation makes it sound like a plain ho-hum job. Tell that to all our brother Marines that spilled thier blood there.

Lynn2
07-26-10, 08:13 AM
"Those mutha fvckers wouldnt quit. Fought to the death"

They say you are measured in some way by the quality of the enemy you fought.

I doubt the Marine Corps has ever fought a more worthy and tougher adversary in all its history.

Smart and tough these guys were.

They would quit and melt away when it was in their interest to quit and melt away. Then a while later the tough buggers would hit you all over again.

And just think of the stuff we threw at them.

I would be proud to have allies this tough and this good.

fquinonez
09-06-11, 03:09 PM
Does anyone on this board remember L/Cpl James W. Heagy? He was with Weapons Plt., Echo 2/26. I have an uncle who was real tight with him who is trying to find out his actual date KIA during Meade River. frank.quinonez@usa.net

fquinonez
09-07-11, 12:51 AM
So in going through further records, I have found an entry regarding LCpl Heagy that shows him as KIA 6 Dec 1968. The issue is that my uncle swears LCpl Heagy was KIA before the battle of LZ Margo in September 1968. My uncle was wounded and Med-Evac'ed to Okinawa on 16 September 1968, and he swers that LCpl Heagy was already KIA.

However, when he was released from the hospital in Okinawa, he received orders to transport LCpl Heagy's body home to Pittsburg. This is where all of the confusion comes in.

We are looking for any information or eye witnesses to LCpl Heagy's KIA date and circumstances, or anyone with information regarding how to get in touch with his family.

frank.quinonez@usa.net (frank.quinonez@usa.net)

sempidr
09-07-11, 03:41 PM
Frank,
You should probably try and get a hold of larrymuse690@sbcglobal.net. He states the date as Dec 6, and it looks like he was there.

Good luck on your search
sempidr

FistFu68
09-07-11, 04:12 PM
:usmc: If that does not work for You,give HDQS,Marine Corps a call in Quantico and they will send You a Casualty Report from The Unit He was in.I also served with the 26Th Marine Regt,3/26 in 68;hope You can put some closer to this.You should Be Very Proud of Him.GodBless You and Your's,Semper Fidelis :iwo:

David R 1968
09-07-11, 09:22 PM
www.VirtualWall.org Profile http://www.virtualwall.org/js/profile.htm Page 1 of 1
James William Heagy
Lance Corporal
PERSONAL DATA
Home of Record: Pittsburgh, PA
Date of birth: 06/06/1949
MILITARY DATA
Service: United States Marine Corps
Grade at loss: E2
Note: Posthumous Promotion as indicated
ID No: 2281346
MOS: 0311: RIFLEMAN
Length Service: 01
Unit: E CO, 2ND BN, 26TH MARINES, 1ST MARDIV, III MAF
CASUALTY DATA
Start Tour: 12/14/1967
Incident Date: 12/06/1968
Casualty Date: 12/06/1968
Age at Loss: 19
Remains: Body recovered
Casualty Type: Hostile, died outright
Casualty Reason: Ground casualty
Casualty Detail: Gun or small arms fire
URL: www.VirtualWall.org/dh/HeagyJW01a.htm
ON THE WALL Panel 37W Line 050
VIRTUAL WALL ® www.VirtualWall.org

fquinonez
09-08-11, 01:55 AM
:usmc: If that does not work for You,give HDQS,Marine Corps a call in Quantico and they will send You a Casualty Report from The Unit He was in.I also served with the 26Th Marine Regt,3/26 in 68;hope You can put some closer to this.You should Be Very Proud of Him.GodBless You and Your's,Semper Fidelis :iwo:
This is a great idea! I didn't know that we could get copies of the actual casualty reports. Do you know what section at HQMC would be best to contact? S1?

FistFu68
09-08-11, 09:27 AM
:usmc: Personal Records Branch,"Awards&Decorations"...just call main SwitchBoard and the Base Operator will connect You.I think they will send You a Company Roster,they did Me but since they have limited Personal working that Section try and pin it down too about 90 day's of when He was KIA,The Company Roster will help You find Men that actually served with Him!GodBless You,Walk Tall believe Me He did.Semper Fidelis...India 3 out~~~:thumbup: :iwo:

neilbsc
03-08-12, 02:06 PM
Good afternoon,
My wife's father, Sgt or SSgt Richard Berger, was in 3/26 during this time, however we know very little about his service. After his retirement he didn't talk about the RVN very much and he passed on without sharing any memories. Can anyone give us any information about what company he was in, where he was at, and any personal stories involving him at that or any other time in his 20 years in the Corps. I came into the Corps after Vietnam, joining in 1979 and serving in the 2nd MAW with VMFA 333 and 115.
Any information is greatly appreciated. Semper Fi my brothers,

Devildoc25
11-28-13, 03:02 PM
My most memorable Thanksgiving was 1968 while on Operation Meade River they flew hot chow out to us in the bush. Happy Thanksgiving Marines, Semper Fi!

Mongoose
11-29-13, 07:02 AM
We also had Thanksgiving dinner choppered out to us. Although I remember this.....it's nothing compared to the memories of the following 2 weeks.

advanced
11-29-13, 07:55 AM
I was supposed to be pulled out from Meade River during the beginning of Dec to go on my R&R to Sydney (roundeyes), but they cancelled my R&R. Lucky me. So I spent my R&R in beautiful downtown Dodge City. Oh, the memories, all bad.

Bros EEM DWM
01-31-14, 11:27 PM
Just curious if anyone here knew my uncle, Donald W. McBride. He was killed Nov 20th 1968, in what I believe is the helicopter crash mentioned in the article.

FistFu68
02-04-14, 12:18 PM
Not right off hand Guy but I shall Pray for His Soul and Yours cause You wanna know about Him that's an Honorable Thing Go Easy

advanced
02-04-14, 12:27 PM
We also had Thanksgiving dinner choppered out to us. Although I remember this.....it's nothing compared to the memories of the following 2 weeks.

Y'all were being fattened up for the ..............

advanced
12-01-14, 10:58 AM
On this date in 1968 during Operation Meade River we encountered a place that was called the Hook, which was a compound of 250 reinforced bunkers. Most of y'all have never heard of it but it was a Hell of a place and even after 46 years bad memories ever since.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/35614f6f/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Mongoose
12-01-14, 04:41 PM
Russ, we were close enough to throw rocks at each other. The Hook was as close to hell as you'll ever get. Top Brass deemed it the Iwo Jima of Viet Nam. It was one hell of a fight. Something we'll never forget.

FistFu68
12-01-14, 05:31 PM
We are History my Fellow Meade River Survivors I'm thankful 2 my Maker my fellow Marines oh & 2 that Airedale that Medivacted & Medicated my young butt when I find ya I'm gonna Kiss Ya lol Yup Godbless Ya Go Easy Semper Fi

Devildoc25
12-01-14, 07:32 PM
Try to contact Jim Cava he was a Corpsman with India 3/5 and on that chopper. I was on the one right next to them and saw them get hit and go down. Last I heard Jim was a motivational speaker, google him by name or Operation Red White and Blue . com.

Good Luck.

Semper Fi
Doc Connally

FistFu68
12-01-14, 08:15 PM
Thanks Doc I do remember it was a 34 old Korean War era Chopper GodBless Ya Go Easy Semper Fi :thumbup:

Devildoc25
12-01-14, 08:36 PM
No we all went out on CH-46's. As I recall the 34's were only used as Medivac not primary troop transport. Only rode on a CH-53 and that was on the start of Operation Taylor Common right after Meade River. The prop wash from the main rotor on that bird blew my scrawny a$$ around like a Styrofoam peanut in a wind storm.

FistFu68
12-02-14, 12:15 PM
Yes I flew in2 the Battle in a 46...India 3/26 3plt 3rd Sqd...Got snatched Up outta there By a 34 most Beautiful Bird I've Ever seen looked like A Green Angel

dturnertoo
06-27-15, 10:54 PM
we seem to always get left out. got my first Heart on Thanksgiving

chulaivet1966
08-07-15, 11:16 AM
we seem to always get left out. got my first Heart on Thanksgiving

Ha....well, Happy TG to you!
I got mine (only) on 9/11/66....not good day for us.

Respect to all you Meade River participants.
Vietnam was quite the picnic. :)

Carry on....

advanced
12-05-15, 03:04 PM
It's that time again my Meade River Brothers. Today is the day that we in the 3/5, while on a walk in the park, encountered that place that we so fondly came to know as the "Hook." For those not there simply imagine one moment you are OK and the next moment you stepped into Helll. The NJ battleship was pounding the ground, B52's, napalm runs from the F4's and all the artillery they could muster. I truly thought that I had finally met my end, and I hadn't even screwed all the women I was supposed to yet.

Billy and Jack from the 3/26 took 3 days to fight there way into us as we were soon to be goners. Together, reinforced we took that son of a ***** and killed a bunch of hard core gookers.

My brothers, Billy and Jack, are forever dear in my heart. Thank you again both of you for getting my young asss out of there.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/aedab484/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Mongoose
12-05-15, 04:59 PM
Russ my brother, we couldn't leave the 5th Marines most famous gigolo behind. Never forget the ground shaking like hell from all the 16 in. shells from the New Jersey. Coupled with the B52's bombing. I think you'll had 70% causalities and we had 60%. But we took out a hell of a lot of NVA's. Jack and I was both wounded there. You was one lucky Marine, my brother. We were all lucky to still be breathing. So many of our brothers didn't make it.

cyberghostx13
04-02-16, 07:51 PM
Hello. I'm a FNG here as I just registered here because of OP Meade River. I was with Foxtrot Co. 2/26 from 5/68 thru 12/68, and involved in the whole OP. I have many memories of Vietnam and a few involving this OP. F/26 3rd MarDiv were all over the place while I was assigned with them, however it was after Khe Sahn. Started @DaNang>Quang-Tri, Dong-Ha, Rockpile, Gia Lihn, and Camp Carol. Then late summer early fall we went afloat. LPH5(USS Princeton) and LPH8(USS Okinawa) mostly, but I also recall the USS Debuque. We flew off up, up, and away and landed in a hot or cold LZ. Well flying then running around the jungle, beach, river, and ville areas was really something and heck we got a ride instead of having to hump everywhere. Anyway the "Afloat" thing had us mostly south of DaNang places like Hoi An and An Hoa. Big difference this area had all kinds of booby traps, unlike the area just under the DMZ. Many Marines were WIA and KIA by all these mines and traps. The DMZ area didn't have as many, but had a lot more "In-Coming" and NVA, and higher hills, not so much sloshing in the paddies. Well enough for now, I'll write some more later on. Hey, I use H&P Typing and am 66 yrs old, so not so fast. Salute to the Heroes of Vietnam War, including the WIA, POW, and KIA. Semper-Fi.

cyberghostx13
04-02-16, 09:15 PM
Hello. I remember we(F/2/26) got steak and potatoes flown in on the USMC Birthday. Nothing else but, but who cares it was hot and sure beat the hell out of C-Rats. Now I remember Thanksgiving 1968, and I thought the menu was steak and potatoes flown in as well, but I guess it could have been turkey. I ate the steak with my two-edged dagger with a bakelight handle. Ahhh... The memories. Semper-Fi.

Jersey
04-20-16, 07:37 AM
Hotel company 27,the guys who came out to feed us, just slopped all the food on top of each other. But it was hot chow, they just wanted to get the hell out of there, and as fast as they could.
Jersey.

advanced
12-06-16, 04:49 AM
It's Meade River time again gang, and somehow I'm still here. A special thanks to my brothers Mongoose and FistFu for coming to our rescue, to this day I still believe that I'm alive because of them. Anniversaries can be a *****, just wish I didn't have so many of them.

Mongoose
12-06-16, 04:50 PM
Russ, I was just thinking about Meade River before I logged on. On this day in 68, we were up to our ass with NVA. We were tired, filthy, hungry, and under constant fire. 9 straight days of blood, death, and misery. It was called by the Corps .....the Iwo Jima of Viet Nam. We were all lucky to get out of their alive, brother.

advanced
12-08-16, 08:18 AM
Billy, I don't know if you remember but I once told you how I got screwed out of my R&R when they cancelled all R&R's because of Meade River. So there I was, laying on my belly for days, eating dirt and starving and freezing realizing that this time I was a goner for sure, all the while knowing that instead of being there I was supposed to be in Sydney hooked up with some beautiful round eyed girl.

But, I later realized that I was where I was supposed to be with my highly developed Marine Corps talents and all. I sure was glad when you all showed up, we sure gave them sum payback. By the way, don't feel sorry for me because I more than made up for lost time with the round eyes later on. Just saying.

Believe it or not, while I was writing they just played an old Box Top's song, ohhhhhh the memories.

PhilN
09-26-17, 03:20 AM
My brother (Sgt Fred Nigh) was KIA just before Meade River kicked off -- just south of Da Nang -- Quang Nam. He was looking forward to finishing his time and getting an education. He was in 1/1 Alpha -- from everything I've read, 1968 was a difficult year for this company -- Khe Sanh, Hue City, Da Nang.

Thank you all for serving.

advanced
09-26-17, 06:59 AM
My brother (Sgt Fred Nigh) was KIA just before Meade River kicked off -- just south of Da Nang -- Quang Nam. He was looking forward to finishing his time and getting an education. He was in 1/1 Alpha -- from everything I've read, 1968 was a difficult year for this company -- Khe Sanh, Hue City, Da Nang.

Thank you all for serving.
S/F to your brother. Yes, 1/1 was at Hue with us, I was in the 1/5 at that time and I had just gotten in country. Be proud of your brother as he was in the thick of it. Sorry for your loss.

Mongoose
09-26-17, 07:55 AM
When I think of Nam....the first thing that always pops up, is Meade River. I could write a thousand page book, from just nine days. The Valor, Honor, and Loyalty I witnessed in those days, is beyond a normal persons ability to comprehend.

advanced
09-26-17, 09:47 AM
When I think of Nam....the first thing that always pops up, is Meade River. I could write a thousand page book, from just nine days. The Valor, Honor, and Loyalty I witnessed in those days, is beyond a normal persons ability to comprehend.
So I am in your book after all. Thanks.

Mongoose
09-26-17, 04:16 PM
Russ, your name and deeds will appear in Chapter One, Brother.

advanced
11-30-17, 07:13 AM
Well gang, guess what time it is again. That's right, it's Meade River time again and we're still here. I once again salute my brothers Billy and Jack for saving my life as come this Monday or Tuesday back in 68 I was supposed to become dead. What a ride it's been, I'll tip a couple in yawls memory this evening my dear brothers.

Mongoose
11-30-17, 08:20 AM
Russ, just think brother.....50 years ago, on this day, we were full of pizz and vinegar and had on our war face. Who would have thought, that in just 10 days, the 3/5 would suffer 65% casualties and the 3/26 would suffer 50% casualties. As we moved from the Hook to the Northern bunker complex, fighting was so intense, that in many cases it became hand to hand combat. Jack and I would not make it to the Northern bunker complex, as we were both wounded at the Hook. I Salute all those Marines who gave it all and those who live to tell the story. The 3/26 was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for it's action. In 10 days the 3/26 was awarded 1 Medal of Honor, 2 Navy Crosses, 10 Silver Stars, 33 Bronze Stars with " V ", 64 Navy Commendation Medals with " V ", 84 Navy, Marine Corps Achievement Medals with " V ', The Navy Unit Citation Medal, and God only knows how many Purple Hearts. The 3/5 was so battle torn and combat depleted, it was deemed ineffective for further combat operations. It would take a long while for the 3/5 and the 3/26 to get back to combat ready. God Bless all those who died and all those who remember.....

FistFu68
11-30-17, 05:38 PM
It was that Young Marine with the Rifle that had too ferret those die hard Commies out and Kill them...Hell im a Lover Boy can’t believe I survived that Chit Love All Marine Brothers & Devil Docs I really Do Aye Aye Semper Fin

FistFu68
11-30-17, 06:08 PM
Brothers ForeVer Semper Fidelis

advanced
11-30-17, 06:23 PM
Thank you 2 my forever brothers that went through that Shvt with me. We were truly life takers and heart breakers, at least for me. Just saying.

Mongoose
12-01-17, 03:53 PM
32083I think I'm a heart breaker ......

FistFu68
12-03-17, 09:03 AM
Got your Ears on Gunny ? It’s gonna be a Grand Reunion someday Rest In Peace Semper Fi :beer: :beer: :beer:

advanced
12-06-18, 10:26 AM
I'm a couple of days late but once again it's Meade River time again, 50 years and I'm still here. I salute my brothers once again for what they went through and for saving my life.

FistFu68
12-06-18, 10:36 AM
Rockin & Rollin still after all these Years...Rock On India 3/26 Aye Aye Semper Fi

FoxtrotOscar
12-06-18, 11:07 AM
Bravo Zulu Meade River Marines...

You made it home...

Well done, Semper Fi...

Mongoose
12-06-18, 04:45 PM
We're still smoking hot, Jack. 50 years ago, on this day, we walked into the Mouth of the Dragon and lived to tell about it.....Thank the Good Lord.