PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Harbor survivors commemorate heroes

thedrifter
12-08-06, 07:45 AM
Pearl Harbor survivors commemorate heroes

By: SHANNON WINGARD - For the North County Times

OCEANSIDE ---- A small, somber group of local survivors of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor 65 years ago paid tribute to those who survived the horror of that day but have since died.

During a special ceremony Thursday, a group of about 30 survivors marked the placing of a new monument near the small fishing pier in Oceanside Harbor. The black marble memorial mounted on concrete contains the names of 146 local Pearl Harbor survivors ---- all members or former members of the Tri-City chapter of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association.

"This is the culmination of four years of work of quite a few men who are no longer with us," said Joe Walsh, the 87-year-old president of the local chapter.

Walsh said the chapter, which has 38 living members, created the memorial to help "people remember the day we got caught, and to not let it happen again."

A few simple words ---- "Remember Pearl Harbor" and "Keep America Alert" ---- adorn both sides of the memorial. It also reminds people of the day, Dec. 7, 1941, when more than 2,400 Americans died in the attack.

The seven local chapter members who died this year were honored during Thursday's ceremony ---- their names were read aloud as bells rang. Participants also placed flowers in the harbor in remembrance.

Oceanside Mayor Jim Wood said the memorial was fittingly placed in a "military town," adding that it was an emotional ceremony for him because his father served in the Navy during World War II.

"I was always involved with this group of heroes," he said. "As we've always said, this is the greatest generation."

Wood also described the "beautiful and serene location" as a fitting place to "remember those people."

Ted Roosvall, 86, a member who served as a Marine for 22 years, said remembering what happened at Wai Momi ---- Hawaiian for "Waters of Pearl" ---- creates a "bridge to the past."

"This is what history is about --- what happened and why it happened," the San Marcos resident said. "You have to have history so you can learn from it."

John Quier, a member of the association from Fallbrook, said he had the "honor" of reading the names of the survivors who died this year. He said he hopes the tribute "helps us remember the military people who are fighting now, and who fought in World War II."

He added that he hopes people remember the sacrifices others have made for the nation.

"We have to join together as a nation to protect this country, because freedom is not free," Quier said. "That's why we recognize these men."

Ellie

thedrifter
12-08-06, 07:47 AM
Pearl Harbor survivor recounts story for students

By: NOELLE IBRAHIM - Staff Writer

SAN MARCOS ---- History came to life at San Marcos Middle School on Thursday as Pearl Harbor survivor George Coburn held students spellbound with his story of the "date which will live in infamy."

"It was Sunday, 65 years ago, and I was working, getting my equipment ready for inspection ..." began Coburn, a fire controlman in the Navy who was assigned to the USS Oklahoma on the day the Japanese bombed the U.S. naval base near Honolulu. The attack plunged the United States into World War II.

About 40 students in Larry Osen's seventh-grade honors world history class were wide-eyed as Coburn recounted where he was when the first torpedo hit the nearly 600-foot-long battleship and how he managed to escape.

"The Oklahoma was totally caught by surprise ... totally unprepared for any action," said Coburn, 87, a Vista resident. "We didn't fire a single shot because all our ammunition was in magazines. The best description for what we were was a sitting duck."

Gesturing with his hands toward a nearby world history map, Coburn described how panic broke out after the lights went out on the ship and how he and six others climbed over a jumble of lockers, bunks and other loose items and through a 14-inch porthole to escape.

"It was right about here," said Coburn, as he took off his navy blue USS Oklahoma cap after class to show eighth-grader John Deaton where on the ship he was able to make his getaway.

Once the men made their way into the water, they braved gunfire and witnessed the explosion that sank the USS Arizona and set oil floating on the water's surface on fire, he said.

"It didn't last too long, but it was really devastating when it was going on," he said. "It was a mess ... the destruction was horrific."

Coburn said he wanted to speak to students on the 65th anniversary of the attack because he thought it was important for youths to remember the historic event.

"If we don't know and understand history, we're more likely to get in the same unprepared situation again," he said, adding that more than half of the ship's 1,200 crew members died in the attack. "I won't say it doesn't drudge up old memories ---- it does ---- but it's good for me to review the whole situation, too."

Twelve-year-old Carlos Gutierrez said while he has visited Pearl Harbor and seen the USS Arizona Memorial, the final resting place for many of the battleship's 1,177 crew members who died that day, seeing a survivor of the attack in person made it all seem more real.

"I think it's amazing he went through that experience," said Carlos. "It was cool to listen to him explain (the day) in detail."

Bringing history to life was precisely the goal Osen had in mind when he organized the special discussion for his students. He said reading about Pearl Harbor in a textbook doesn't convey the emotions involved to students.

"George is an eyewitness to history and represents the last of a generation that was engaged in a defining moment of history, similar to 9/11 for this generation," said Osen. "I feel privileged and grateful that he accepted an invitation to share his experiences with my students. Hopefully it will leave them with a deeper impression of that day."

Contact staff writer Noelle Ibrahim at (760) 761-4404 or nibrahim@nctimes.com.

Ellie

thedrifter
12-08-06, 08:28 PM
Lone survivor of 20-Mounted Horse Marines recalls Pearl Harbor

Dec 7, 2006 07:52 PM

CORPUS CHRISTI - Unfortunately, one local Pearl Harbor survivor was not able to attend any of Thursday's observances because poor health wouldn't allow him to leave the hospital. But thanks to his fellow marines, it was an anniversary he will never forget.

"As a general rule, I get a little uptight, a little tense," Ben Blackmon, Pearl Harbor survivor, said.

Sixty-five years have passed since Pearl Harbor, but Blackmon's said his feelings are still present.

"Memories flood back into my mind that I have put out all year long," he said.

But this 86-year-old survivor is re-living the painful memories stuck in the hospital, with pneumonia.

However, two young, fellow marines visited Spohn Shoreline to hear his story.

"I was a staff sergeant, staff sergeant, uh huh," Blackmon said.

He was one of 20 marines mounted on horseback. His job was to guard the Navy's ammunition. After spending 30 months in Oahu, Staff Sgt. Blackmon was supposed to leave before Dec. 7, 1941.

"They come over our speaker, at that time," Blackmon recalled, "that this is no drill, this is the real, real thing."

As the two marines listened, the connection felt even closer.

"He set the footsteps, the bar for us," Sgt. Jonathan LeBlanc said. "We're following in his footsteps, hoping we'll do him proud."

The visit was topped off by a gift from the young Marines to thier new friend - a token of thanks from one marine to another, in the hope to carry on the story of the sacrifices that have been made for this country.

"Never forgotten, never leave another marine behind," LeBlanc said.

Blackmon is the last of the 20-Mounted Horse Marines still living.

Online Reporter: Erin McLemore

Ellie