PDA

View Full Version : 'Just Marines helping Marines'

thedrifter
12-08-06, 06:40 AM
'Just Marines helping Marines'
December 8, 2006

By DAN MORAN DMORAN@SCN1.COM

WAUKEGAN -- R. Lee Ermey was 15 minutes from going live on a 50,000-watt radio station Thursday afternoon when he warmed up with some choice words that can't be said over the public airwaves.

His inspiration? A reporter prefacing "Merry Christmas" with the phrase "happy holidays."

"'Happy holidays' -- what a bunch of bull---," said the retired Marine and current host of The History Channel's "Mail Call." "You know what I say when I'm in line at the store and they say that to me? 'What the ---- is that? It's Merry Christmas!'"

The Green Room at the Genesee Theatre erupted in laughter that might have been heard upstairs in the auditorium, where Ermey was scheduled to join the Roe Conn Show for a guest segment. Ermey was acting in his capacity as national spokesman for the Marine Corps' annual Toys for Tots campaign, which was the beneficiary of the day.

"The Marine Corps retired me in 1971, and I just keep showing up," Ermey said. "I am a humble spokesman. We've been doing this every year for as long as I can remember, maybe eight or 10 years.

"I came into Chicago yesterday, (and) I was in Kansas City before that with the Unmet Needs campaign. They help out service families who need a hand," he added. "I'm going to hook up with a reserve unit and hang out with them tomorrow, then I'll head down to San Diego (and) go home around the 22nd. Then I run out to Wal-Mart and get my Christmas shopping done."

Looking boot-camp trim and relaxing with a cup of black coffee, the 62-year-old Ermey lit up when visited by Chicago-based Marines, Sgt. Christopher Smith and Lance Cpl. Victor Jimenez.

"The task force is here," he said, greeting them with handshakes. "Don't (screw) with me now."

Ermey also introduced his guests to Staff Sgt. Michael Michalski from Elk Grove Village, who served as his driver for the day -- in a Humvee, not a limo.

"It's the best assignment I've had so far," said Michalski. Ermey smiled and said "that's just Marines helping Marines."

Ellie