PDA

View Full Version : How to get in shape

SuNmAN
12-07-06, 12:26 AM
Hey guys, I'm about to teach you guys how to get in shape...When I was a freshman in high school in 2001 I was 6'2 and 135 lbs. Now I am 6'3 and 205 lbs. The same principles apply to gaining weight as they do to losing weight.

Just so you guys don't think I'm talking out of my ass and that I actually know something - here's a picture of my goofy ass taken this past summer in California:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/sunman01/california1.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, now lets get down to the chase here -

There are four essential elements to putting yourself into TIP TOP SHAPE.

1. Diet
2. Weight Training
3. Cardio
4. Dedication

All four of these factors are equally important, and if you are missing any one, you will not be successful.

I'm going to try and be brief here, so if theres any parts you don't understand, please PM me. I will write this article addressing a poolee who wishes to LOSE WEIGHT AND INCREASE STRENGTH AND ENDURANCE. If you wish to gain weight, PM me and I will help you out the same.

1. Diet:

Be disciplined and WATCH WHAT YOU EAT. It sounds very cliche, but if you are trying to lose weight, you need to eat a BALANCED DIET.

The most important aspects you should be watching in your diet are:

A. Calories - The only way you will burn fat is if you eat less calories than you burn. Restrict yourself to eating approximately 10x your bodymass in calories. Say you weigh 200 pounds, and you want to lose weight. You would thus eat 2000 calories a day or less.

B. Fat and Carbohydrates - Significantly reduce but do not attempt to eliminate your intake.

C. Protein - Eat protein. It will help stop you from losing too much muscle with intense cardio workouts. Also, if you sub in a protein shake or two with your meals, you will be able to reduce your calorie and far/carb intake as well.

D. Frequency - Eat 6 times a day. No, that doesn't mean go to Mickey Ds 6 times a day dude. Eat 6 SMALL MEALS a day. So if I weigh 200 pounds, I should be eating 2000 calories (or less) divided by 6 times a day, spaced approximately 3 hours apart for 6 x 330 calorie meals. This will enhance your metabolism and you will burn fat more effectively. If you want an explaination, google it. I don't feel like explaining it right now. Just do it.

Weight Training:

Weight Train 3 days a week. This will prevent the loss of muscle mass that will come with diet and cardiovascular exercise. Go for higher repetitions. Lower reps are for mass gains. Right now all we want to do is keep you from losing muscle while you're burning fat.

Sample workout:

Monday -

Bench Press 3 sets of 12
Incline Bench 2 sets of 12
Decline Bench 1 set of 12

Abs - 3 sets of crunches

Wednesday -

Parallel Squats 2 sets of 12, 2 sets of 10
Leg Press Machine 2 sets of 10
Dumbbell Lunges 2 sets of 10 (each leg)
Leg Curls 3 sets of 10

Friday -

Military Press 3 sets of 12
Pullups 3 sets (use assistance or add weight if necessary) of 10
Bicep Curls - 3 sets of 10
Tricep Cable Pulldowns - 3 sets of 10

Abs - 3 sets of crunches

If you don't have a gym membership...GET ONE. Go to your local YMCA, they usually have decent rates and discounted rates or even free membership for people in hardship.

3. Cardio:

Run twice a week - Tuesdays and Thursdays. Do not run of the days when you strength train. And have a little dedication. Do not stop when you are tired. If you can run only half a mile at first, so be it. Gradually bump your distance up every week until you hit the 3 mile mark (Marine PFT).

Time yourself every time you run, and STRIVE TO BEST YOUR PREVIOUS TIME EACH TIME YOU RUN.

If you can run 3 miles in 23:00 or less, thats an acceptable time. My persoal best is a 19:30. I hate long distance runs, I'm more of an explosive, sprinting type - but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Sometimes you can mix it up. You don't always have to go on a run. Ride on the recumbent bike for 15 minutes. Bump the resistance on the bike up every 5 minutes. Or play a few games of full court 5 on 5 basketball, or some tackle football (but give a good effort and run up and down the court/field !)

The essential thing is for you ti spice your workout regimen up so that you look forward to your next workout instead of dreading it !!

4. Dedication:

Be dedicated. Don't be a quitter. If you want to see the epitomy of dedication - watch the movie RUDY with Sean Astin.

Don't quit. You want to be a Marine. Not a worthless, bare minimum Marine either. You want to be a good Marine. It will require you to sweat.

And trust me - you don't wanna be in PCP in boot camp. 13 weeks is long enough. Lets not make it 15.

My fingers are tired. Any questions, PM me.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-07-06, 12:55 PM
Sorry but I can't have too much respect for anyone that wears a hat with the logo of a bull that has had its man parts removed.

And other than the comment about the high/low rep workouts being wrong (a muscle working is a muscle working- high weight low reps is just more effective) it all looks very well done. Good job.

SuNmAN
12-07-06, 01:12 PM
High weight low reps will build muscle

Personally I work in a range of 4-6 reps but I am bulking up to try out for the Fighting Illini Football Team.

If you want to prevent the loss of muscle mass and improve endurance, lower weight and higher reps is the way to go.

That is why swimmers always work on lower reps, as do distance running track athletes.

In this program I outlined, the goal is weight loss and improving endurace, not muscle gain.

If someone wants to learn muscle gain (too skinny?) then PM me.