PDA

View Full Version : Marine from Bullitt County killed in Iraq

thedrifter
12-06-06, 11:31 AM
Marine from Bullitt County killed in Iraq

Dec 6, 2006 12:13 PM

By Frances Kuo

(SHEPHERDSVILLE, Ky.) -- The war in Iraq has now hit home for one family in Shepherdsville. 20-year old Lance Corporal Thomas Echols, a graduate of Bullitt Central High, was killed Monday while serving with the Marines in Iraq. WAVE 3's Frances Kuo spoke to one of his friends about the person she remembers.

"He was a jokester, a real big jokester," said Heather Grider.

Thomas Echols and Heather were inseparable.

"We were always going out and doing stuff, movies, just hanging out places," Heather said.

For three years at Bullitt Central High, the two were in the ROTC program together. A few months after graduation, Thomas would go into the military.

"He always talked about going into the Air Force, but his brother went to the Marines and I knew he would follow in his footsteps no matter what he said," Heather told WAVE 3.

For the past three years, Heather lost touch with Thomas.

"I always thought he would come back ... always," she said.

Then this week, she heard the news that Thomas died in combat in Iraq.

"I couldn't hold it together for nothing. I mean, I tried and tried but it didn't work. I just wanted to crawl into a hole," Heather said.

Now, she relives happier times by clinging to memories in old yearbook photos.

"He just wanted to be around people, that's all he wanted to do. If you were just sitting here having a conversation with him, he was happy, he was happy as he could be," said Heather.

With the passing of lost time, Heather feels the regret.

"I just wish I'd talked to him a lot more. If I would've know everything that was going on, and kept in touch with his family a little better. But you never think about these things until this stuff happens," Heather said.

But with Thomas' death, Heather has a new perspective on life.

"Life's short -- live it while you can. And I know he was only 20 years old. He didn't get to live the life I know he wanted to live," said Heather.

Thomas Echols was part of the 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment. He's survived by his pregnant wife, an older sister and his older brother, Alex, who is serving overseas.

The Department of Defense has not released the circumstances surrounding Echols' death.

Online Reporter: Frances Kuo

Online Producer: Charles Gazaway

Ellie

FistFu68
12-06-06, 11:47 AM
:usmc: ALL GAVE SOME~SOME GAVE ALL!!!:usmc: