PDA

View Full Version : One kid to another: PCS moves have a bright side

thedrifter
12-05-06, 03:48 PM
December 11, 2006
One kid to another: PCS moves have a bright side

By Kay Pollard

Your first and most basic reaction when you’re told your family is moving is likely to be anger. It’s natural to be irritated or even infuriated with your parents when they tell you your life’s going to be relocated.

But remember, the fact that you’re moving isn’t their fault, and it’s not the Marine Corps’ fault. So when they hit you with the news, stay calm — maybe go into another room and blow off steam constructively so you don’t say something you’ll regret later.

After you relax a bit, start thinking about the positives involved in moving.

First, you get a new start. A fresh beginning can be the best thing to happen in your life. Let’s face it, we’ve all done things we’d rather not remember. Or that we’d rather other people didn’t remember. Moving makes it possible to leave embarrassing incidents behind. You can reinvent yourself. You can completely change who you are if you want.

Leaving your friends can bring you down. It’s understandable that you’d be depressed thinking about saying goodbye. When I move, I think about how I’m getting the chance to meet even more people. It’s not really goodbye if you have the mind-set that you’ll see them again later in life.

Keep in contact. Even the strongest friendship can’t survive if you don’t work hard to keep it up. And sure, things between you and your friends will change — it’s inevitable. But if you talk and focus on the present rather than just the past, you’ll stay friends.

Another thing that comforts me when I know I have to move is realizing that my family is going to get stronger. When you move, it’s just you and your family being transported into a foreign world. This means that the bonds between you will be tested and ultimately strengthened. You’ll become closer to your brothers, sisters, parents and grandparents.

So before you panic when you realize your entire life is about to shift halfway across the country, think about the positive. Focus on the good aspects and how you can change for the better. Imagine all the new people you’re going to come in contact with. And look forward to the strengthened relationship between you and your family.

The writer is the 15-year-old daughter of a Marine master sergeant. Her brother recently joined the Air Force, and she also plans to join the military.

Ellie