PDA

View Full Version : Why I Serve

jinelson
12-04-06, 02:44 PM
Why I Serve:

Marine Recruit Learns Discipline, Leadership Lessons

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/2004110806a_72.jpg
Marine Recruit Joseph E. Solinger, 19, said Marine training has taught him discipline and valuable leadership skills. Photo by Gerry J. Gilmore

By Gerry J. Gilmore
American Forces Press Service

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT PARRIS ISLAND, S.C., Nov. 8, 2004 – "I wasn't disciplined enough for college," said Marine Corps recruit Joseph E. Solinger.

The 19-year-old Columbus, Ohio, native said he realized in high school about a year ago that his self-indulgence and spotty grades were taking him nowhere. He said his attitude and study habits were exceptionally poor.

After talking things over with his father, a former Marine officer, Solinger elected to join the Marines' Delayed Entry Program in October 2003.

Fast-forward to today. After completing 12 weeks of intensive training, the young recruit was slated to graduate on Nov. 5 and become Pfc. Solinger, U.S. Marine.

The Marine Corps, Solinger discovered, is "the place to get discipline and to work on my leadership skills."

Assigned to H Company, 2nd Recruit Training Battalion, Solinger learned his lessons well at Parris Island. He was selected as an honor recruit for his leadership, attention to detail, and other skills.

As a soon-to-be Marine, Solinger said he gained new perspectives on how people from different backgrounds can cooperate to accomplish difficult tasks. His Parris Island experiences, he said, also taught him "how to work with people from all over the country."

And, embracing teamwork "is essential" to becoming a Marine, he said. "There's not one recruit that can make it through recruit training," Solinger said, "without the help of another recruit."

Joining the Marine Corps, he observed, would be a good decision for many of today's young people who "are walking around in sloppy clothes."

The Marines, he explained, extol responsibility, good personal hygiene, manners, and proper posture.

Recruits who seemed to lack self-confidence and direction when they arrived at Parris Island, Solinger observed, are transformed by Marine training to embrace self-discipline and responsibility.

And discipline, he noted, "is something that you need in life."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/presserv.gif

jinelson
12-04-06, 02:48 PM
Why I Serve:

Recruit Joined Marines for Challenge, Opportunity

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/2004110901a_72.jpg
Marine Recruit Nina N. Garcia, 18, looks forward to her Nov. 5 graduation from Parris Island in a Nov. 2 photo. She said she joined the Marines for the challenge and opportunity. Photo by Gerry J. Gilmore

By Gerry J. Gilmore

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT PARRIS ISLAND, S.C., Nov. 9, 2004 -- "I wanted something more" out of life, Marine Corps Recruit Nina N. Garcia said a few days before she was to graduate from recruit training here.

Earning a college degree was definitely one of her goals as she was finishing up high school, but Garcia also wanted to challenge herself on another level, she said. So, last year, when she was a high school senior, the Fort Collins, Colo., native joined the Marine Corps Delayed Entry Program.

The 18-year-old Garcia was set to become a U.S. Marine Nov. 5, after completing 12 weeks of arduous training. Garcia said she learned "a lot of discipline" at Parris Island, which has trained Marine recruits since 1915.

Instructors on Parris Island rifle ranges taught her how to shoot, and she also became a better swimmer thanks to the Marines, she said. Embracing and employing teamwork, Garcia observed, provides the key for recruits to successfully complete the Marines' famously tough training. "Everything depends on teamwork," Garcia emphasized, noting, "There's no 'I' in team."

The Marine Corps offers young people "challenge, opportunity, and (a way) to serve our country with the best," she said.

And, Marines' proud personal bearing, Garcia noted, sets them apart "from any other branch of the military."

jackson07
12-04-06, 09:35 PM
Good moto, thanks for sharing Staff Sergeant.

jinelson
12-04-06, 09:41 PM
I thought it was also. I will be continuing this each day for a while with different Marines of different MOS's and their thoughts on why they serve. I just thought that it would be fitting to start the series off with a male and female recruit.

Jim

jackson07
12-04-06, 10:15 PM
See if you can't find a linguist for me, eh Staff Sergeant? (Just kidding)

jinelson
12-05-06, 11:54 AM
Why I Serve: <br />
<br />
Tank Gunner Grows Up <br />
<br />
<br />
Marine Cpl. Anthony F. Nagle, a tank gunner with Company B, 2nd Tank Battalion, is second in command of his tank. Photo by Pfc. Lucian Friel, USMC <br />
<br />
By...

jinelson
12-06-06, 12:00 AM
Why I Serve: <br />
<br />
Keeping Lines of Communication Open <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Marine Sgt. Brian F. Shelton spends most of his day inside a wire cage, maintaining his unit's gear or working on their cryptological...

jinelson
12-06-06, 07:11 AM
Why I Serve:

'Brotherhood' Unlike Any Other

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/2004112409a_72.jpg
Marine Staff Sgt. Bradley J. Cress, who holds daughter, Isabella, is a member of New York's Seneca Nation. Assignments have taken him around the world.

WASHINGTON, Nov. 24, 2004 -- "I chose to serve in the Marine Corps because it has a 'brotherhood' unlike that of any of the other services," said Staff Sgt. Bradley J. Cress.

As a teenager, Cress was fascinated by the Marine Corps' gung-ho attitude, esprit de corps, high public esteem, fame, glory, loyalty and honor.

Now 27, the Marine is administration chief for the General Officer Desk, Special Projects Directorate for the Commandant of the Marine Corps.

"I also serve in the armed forces because I want to help people," said the Buffalo, N.Y., native.

Cress is a member of New York's Seneca Nation. His assignments have taken him to many interesting places around the world. He served as an orders and legal clerk with Marine Aircraft Group 12, Marine Air Logistics Squadron 12 in Iwakuni, Japan, then attended the Marine Security Guard School, at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va. In 1997, he was assigned to the American Embassy Copenhagen, Denmark.

While there, he went on temporary duty to Kampala, Uganda, to serve as personal security for President Clinton.

In March 1999, Cress was assigned to the American Embassy in N'Djamena, Chad. He next served as administration chief for the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the Pentagon before being assigned to the Directorate for the Commandant of the Marine Corps.

His advice to young American Indians who are thinking about serving in the armed forces is, "There are no handouts. You make or break your career. There are many opportunities that young (Native Americans) would not otherwise have coming from most of the reservations across the nation."

Cress said having American Indian Heritage Month is "a great concept. But I believe it counters the idea that we're all Americans -- whether citizens or not."

Even though societal attitudes toward Indians are changing for the better, the concept of "scalping" bothers him immensely, Cress said. "Scalping is the largest misconception about American Indians I've come across," he noted. "This was not a Native American 'invention or tradition.' We're taught this came from the Europeans who wanted 'trophies.'"

Being called an "Indian" is another word that bothers some tribal members, he said. "My father is not Indian," he pointed out. "My mother is 'Native American.' The term 'Indian' is offensive to the older types of our Nation.

jinelson
12-06-06, 10:33 PM
Why I Serve:

Hands-on Marine Finds His Niche in Corps

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/2004122308a_72.jpg

Marine Pfc. Jack H. Meese, a light armored vehicle repairman with the 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, said he learned the basic fundamentals of repairing engines and general mechanics in four years of high school auto mechanics, so his job in the Marine Corps is almost like a hobby.

By Lance Cpl. Lucian Friel, USMC
Special to American Forces Press Service

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C., Dec. 23, 2004 - "Looking back at why I joined, I realized I was never really good at English or science, but I loved working with my hands and the Marine Corps was definitely the place to do it," said Pfc. Jack H. Meese.

Meese said he loves working on engines. According to the 19-year-old, it's easy for him to get his job done and accomplish the day's mission.

The soft-spoken light armored vehicle repairman with the 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, said he learned the basic fundamentals of repairing engines and general mechanics in four years of high school auto mechanics.

"I learned about large and small engines and brake systems. The classes helped prepare me for the job I have now. I love working with vehicles, so my job is basically my hobby," Meese explained.

Joining the Marine Corps was something he wanted to do for several reasons. He saw his father, retired Sgt. Jimmy Auston Majors, and aspired to follow in his footsteps.

"As a kid, my dad told me stories of his days in Vietnam. At times, they scared me a little bit, but mostly they inspired me. Stories of men overcoming great odds to survive," he explained, caused his chest to swell with pride of his father.

Meese said he was very disciplined growing up, showing respect to those who deserved it and controlling his anger, which he said can be very difficult at times.

"Self-discipline depends on the person," he noted. "If I feel like I'm getting aggravated, I take time out and control my anger. The Marine Corps refined my discipline and made me a more successful and better person."

Along with discipline, the Marine Corps helped Meese in other areas, such as his personal life. "My family has grown happier and healthier, because of the benefits the Marine Corps offers," he said.

The young husband and father provides heath care and housing for his family, which is something many young families have trouble with. "We are very fortunate," Meese said about his family. "I'm so thankful for everything the Marine Corps provides for my family and me. I know I made the right decision to sign up."

After making the commitment to serve his country, Meese made the decision to not only be the best at what he does, but have fun doing it.

"Why go through life stressed out? I just do my job. I'm fortunate to have a job I want to do for the rest of my life, and I have professional training under my belt," he explained. "I can continue my career in automotive repair even after I get out of the Marine Corps."

As the family man prepares to deploy to Iraq to make his mark in Marine Corps history, just as his father did, his thoughts naturally fall to his family.

"I just want them to know I will do my best to come back safely and I will make them proud, especially my father, who is the reason I am what I am today," he said.

(Lance Cpl. Lucian Friel is a combat correspondent with the 2nd Marine Division.)

Achped
12-06-06, 11:11 PM
These are outstanding Staff Sergeant. Please keep them coming.

jinelson
12-06-06, 11:16 PM
Will do glad you like them. I think they are great info and moto.

Jim

jinelson
12-07-06, 08:20 PM
Why I Serve:

Young Marine Motivated by Discipline

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/2004121612a_72.jpg

Marine Pfc. Timothy A. Spreder applies an arm bar on a fellow Marine during martial art training.

Photo by Lance Cpl. Lucian Friel

By Lance Cpl. Lucian Friel

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C., Dec. 16, 2004 "I just want to be successful at anything I do and I want to always be able to support myself," explained Pfc. Timothy A. Spreder. "That's why I joined the Marine Corps so early in life." The Boone County, Ky., native became a Marine at age 17 with his parents' permission.

As a young man attending Simon Kenton High School, Spreder wasn't involved in many activities. As a 16-year-old without any direction in his life, he joined the Army National Guard's Bluegrass Challenge at Fort Knox, Ky. The challenge, which is a six-month boot camp-like program, helped Spreder receive his General Educational Development diploma.

"I knew the military was my only option, because high school wasn't working out for me, and I wanted the discipline the challenge offered," Spreder explained. "It put me on the path to success, because you can't go anywhere without a high school diploma."

Upon completing the challenge program, Spreder's parents signed his four-year contract with the Marines. He said his parents, Monica and Dale Spreder, provided him with the support he needed to accomplish the goals he wanted to reach.

"My mom and dad always supported me," Spreder said. "They knew I understood what I was getting into," he noted. "They taught me how to show respect for others, which was fine-tuned by the Marine Corps."

The receptions clerk is responsible for checking all new Marines into the 2d Marine Division. "I come in contact with all different types of Marines, so this job has enhanced my skills in dealing with people," Spreder said.

He said his aspirations are similar to most people's. "I just want to be successful at anything I do, and I want to always be able to support myself," he explained. "That's why I joined the Marine Corps so early in life."

As a Marine, Spreder has come to realize that a schedule can be more beneficial than he ever imagined. "Before I joined, it would take about two months for me to actually get things done," he said. "But now, life seems so much easier, because I get everything done ahead of time so I'm not rushed to complete it.

"I wanted to serve in the military. I knew it was what I was meant to do, and as a Marine I strive to be the best."

(Marine Lance Cpl. Lucian Friel is a combat correspondent with the 2nd Marine Division.)

semperfiman
12-07-06, 08:37 PM
its nice to see that the field wireman is still used wiredogs oorah thanks bro

jackson07
12-07-06, 09:48 PM
Good Moto Sergeant.

Hectic
12-08-06, 06:52 AM
Thank you Staff Sergeant

jinelson
12-09-06, 08:25 PM
Why I Serve:

Marine Made 'Conscious Decision'

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/2004120311a_72.jpg

Marine Cpl. Jonnah Gonzalez prepares to fire the 40 mm multiple grenade launcher during a training exercise with the 8th Marine Regiment at Camp Lejeune, N.C. Photo by Lance Cpl. Lucian Friel, USMC

By Lance Cpl. Lucian Friel, USMC

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. Dec. 3, 2004 "I wasn't feeling college, and it was hard to balance school and work. So I made the conscious decision to serve my country," explained Marine Cpl. Jonnah Gonzalez.

In 2001, a year after graduating from high school, Gonzalez, 22, was attending Westchester Community College when he enlisted in the Marine Corps' Delayed Entry Program.

The Montrose, N.Y., native's decision to join the Marine Corps was also influenced by the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. "The whole situation made me extremely upset. I know that everyone in America was furious, but for New Yorkers, it hit home just a little bit more," said the machine-gunner with the 8th Marine Regiment.

Before he adopted the lifestyle of a Marine, Gonzalez went to school from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays, and worked as a patient registration clerk at Phelps Memorial Hospital from 4 p.m. to midnight, Sundays through Thursdays.

Even those long hours as a student and employee didn't prepare Gonzalez for the Marine Corps' way of life.

"You have to work hard to get ahead in life, especially in the Corps. Sometimes you have to work 16- to 18-hour days. You have to do anything it takes to accomplish the mission," he noted.

According to Gonzalez, he uses the same drive to accomplish the mission to train his Marines to the best of his ability.

"Through leadership, I always set the standard for my Marines. They look up to me, and I never deprive them of the training they need," he continued. "I give 110 percent at every firing range we go to. If they see my effort and desire, they will follow."

Gonzalez has continued to grow as a person, toughing it out through deployments to the Middle East. He was in Iraq with the regiment's 2nd Battalion during Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003.

"During my time in Iraq, I was involved in the battle for An Nasiriyah, and we also helped out with humanitarian missions, delivering food and water to the Iraqi people. All of our Marines came back safe, which is always a priority," he explained.

Returning safe is not only on the Marines' minds, but also on the families' minds back home. Gonzalez's parents support him through his journey in life, though they have different ways of expressing it.

"My mom cries every time I leave, but she knows I make good decisions, and she's always behind me," Gonzalez said. "My dad thinks I'm the greatest kid in the family and is happy every time I get to experience something new. He always tells me how proud of me he is."

Gonzalez and his parents have noticed a change in how he acts and carries himself since joining the Marine Corps. "I have a lot of responsibility. I had to grow up faster than my peers, which was a challenge, but I love a good challenge," explained the squad leader.

According to Gonzalez, outstanding leadership from fellow Marines and his own hard work has helped him out in the Marine Corps. He explained how joining was the best thing he did.

"I found out who I am while maturing as a man," he said. "The Corps has helped me realize who I am today and who I'm going to be as a person in the future."

(Lance Cpl. Lucian Friel is a 2nd Marine Division combat correspondent.)

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/presserv.gif[/IMG

jinelson
12-10-06, 11:09 AM
Why I Serve:

Instructor Pilot Discovered Talent Early

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/2004101312a_72.jpg

Marine Maj. Brent Camron Reiffer is a UH-1N helicopter instructor pilot with the Marine Corps Aviation Weapons and Tactics Squadron One based at Marine Corps Air Station, Yuma, Ariz. The instructor pilot, who wanted to be a Marine since he was 10 years old, is now an Operation Iraqi Freedom combat veteran.

By Samantha L. Quigley

WASHINGTON, Oct. 13, 2004 "I take great pride in knowing that I am doing my duty as an American protecting our freedoms," Marine Corps Maj. Brent Camron Reiffer said. "I have had the opportunity to travel to multiple countries and have confirmed that while our country has some issues, it is still the best on the planet."

The roots of Reiffer's American pride were put down early on.

"Back when I was 10 years old, I joined the Young Marines," said Reiffer. "I did really well and quickly learned that I was good at basic military stuff – marching, rappelling, rafting, camping, patrolling, (and) following and giving orders."

It was then that he realized he wanted to be a Marine.

After graduating from East Kentwood High School in Grand Rapids, Mich., his hometown, Reiffer headed off for boot camp at Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, Calif. A bachelor's degree in aviation management technology from Eastern Michigan University, Officer Candidate School in (1990) and flight school (1995-1997) followed before he went off to the fleet.

Reiffer is now a UH-1N helicopter instructor pilot with the Marine Corps Aviation Weapons and Tactics Squadron One based at Marine Corps Air Station, Yuma, Ariz. He said his duties allow for exposure to "all the different backgrounds that make up Marine Corps aviation."

"Typically, an aviator will only get exposure to the other aircraft type communities during (weapons and tactics instructor courses)," Reiffer said. "I can talk to, and learn from, a wide range of Marines - from an FA-18 pilot to an airfield services officer to a low-altitude air defense officer - on a daily basis."

As an instructor pilot, he helps to instruct and certify all of the instructors in Marine Corps Aviation units. In addition to holding semiannual WTI courses, he said, his unit provides specific training called "Desert Talon" to units heading to Iraq.

As part of his responsibilities, Reiffer, who also serves as the assistant operations officer, plans for the WTI and Desert Talon courses.

While his job affords him the opportunities to lead and advance his career, it doesn't come without strings. Reiffer said that being away from his family – both overseas and at home - has been the biggest sacrifice associated with his duty to his country.

"The length of time away from my children will never be able to be made up," he said.

Though the time may never be made up, Reiffer will have stories of his time away to share with his children – ages 5, , 2, and 7 weeks - as they grow.

"Of all the various memories that I have of being in the Marine Corps, one that will always stay with me is the night I was in the jungle of the Philippines when Mount Pinatubo erupted in 1991 and the resulting aftermath," he said. "We dug ourselves and others out of the rain-soaked ash at Subic Bay Naval Base without running water, toilets (or) hot food for three weeks."

When faced with a situation like the one in the Philippines, it's Reiffer's pride and patriotism that get him through.

"I … take great pride in knowing that while patriotism comes and goes with a lot of people, mine is deeply entrenched," he said. "When I retire, I can always look back and know that I contributed in numerous ways, always gave my best effort and served my country honorably."

Reiffer was activated with the 1st Battalion, 24th Marines during Desert Storm and served in Operation Iraqi Freedom Phase I. On March 26, 2003, during OIF-1, he piloted his aircraft to a hard landing. The crew suffered injuries, but all survived.

jinelson
12-11-06, 12:22 PM
Why I Serve:

Preparing Marines for Deployment

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/2004111711b_72.jpg

Petty Officer 3rd Class Shandon E. Torres, the senior corpsman of Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, helps a Marine get bloody for the combat lifesaver course practical application at Onslow Beach, Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C. The practical application was to test Marines' ability and knowledge of the lifesaving steps instructed during the course. Photo by Cpl. Adam C. Schnell, USA

Pfc. Lucian Friel

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C., Nov. 17, 2004 "I knew I would be good at what I do, and I love helping people. I'm glad I joined because it gave me the opportunity to work with Marines and teach them what they need to know to get ready for deployment," explained Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Shandon E. Torres.

The Roosevelt, Utah, native instructs the Marines of 2nd Marine Division as they participate in the Combat Lifesavers Course, which teaches the basics of treating wounds in combat.

The elements of this division are now serving in Iraq.

Torres begins with the heartsaver portion of the class, which is comprised of cardiopulmonary resuscitation. During the class he also teaches the symptoms of heart attack, cardiac arrest, stroke, and choking; instructing the Marines on the chain of survival, the steps taken to treat victims of various heart and respiratory problems.

"The beginning of the class is important, because it's the foundations of learning how to treat a wounded Marine in a real world scenario," explained the senior corpsman of Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment.

The Union High School graduate teaches the mechanisms of an injury to help Marines better understand what causes them such as blast related traumas, stab and gun-shot wounds. To assess the casualty with minimal mistakes, the Marines learn different ways to determine a life-threatening hazard or if a combat wound was severe enough for a medical evacuation, which Torres recalled was something a Marine in Haiti had to do.

While Torres was deployed to Haiti from March to July, a young corporal, whom he instructed, came across a civilian stabbed in the back during a riot. Because of the knowledge he learned in the course, he was able to treat her until Torres reached the scene.

"It's that type of situation that makes this course worth teaching for me," he explained. "When a Marine is able to treat someone who is seriously injured and save their life, it's an unbelievable feeling."

Knife, gun-shot wounds and illnesses were the most common injuries the 22-year- old was faced with in Haiti, but being a former emergency medical team specialist he had dealt with those types of injuries long before he joined the Navy.

Being an EMT in Roosevelt sparked Torres' interest in becoming a Navy corpsman because he knew the medical field was something he could excel in and enjoy doing.

Torres is assisted in the course by fellow corpsmen who have served in Iraq. They instruct Marines on burns as well as heat and cold injuries, which is the last indoor instruction period during the course.

"The most relevant information in the class, is the section dealing with heat injuries, because that's what Marines will most likely face in Iraq," said Petty Officer 3rd Class Jeremy M. Shelton, a corpsman with Headquarters Battalion. "Marines need this class so it's not a shock when they are faced with the injury."

"The end of the course is the best time for the instructors to see how well everyone learned the material. If someone makes a mistake, we correct it so they don't do the same thing in a combat zone," Torres said.

He and the other corpsmen are continuing to teach Marines how to save lives in combat to prepare them for deploying to Iraq.

"I love Marines' mentality to excel at everything they do," explained Torres. "It's the same mentality I have, and it makes it easier to teach them."

(Pfc. Lucian Friel is a combat correspondent with 2nd Marine Division.)

jinelson
12-12-06, 09:32 AM
Why I Serve:

Movie Influences Marine's Decision to Enlist

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/2005012114a_72.jpg

Marine Cpl. Justin Morris, with the 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force Headquarters Group, waits for the next group of servicemembers to check in at the military's registration desk at the Ambassador City Jomtien hotel in Pattaya, Thailand. Morris has deployed to Thailand to participate in support of the military's efforts in the disaster relief operation. Photo by Samantha L. Quigley

By Samantha L. Quigley

UTAPAO, Thailand, Jan. 21, 2005 "I made the decision to come in (to the Marines) in 10th grade," said Cpl. Justin Morris of the 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force Headquarters Group. "But they wouldn't take me until I was a senior."

The influence that drove Morris to join the Corps is a bit unusual.

"I saw 'Born on the Fourth of July,'" Morris said. The movie flipped a switch. "It was something in Tom Berenger's speech at the beginning of the movie." The 1989 film was about a paralyzed Vietnam War veteran who became an anti-war activist.

Currently stationed at Okinawa, Morris, originally from the Pittsburgh area, is on orders to Thailand to assist in the tsunami relief effort. Oddly enough, Thailand is part of the Marine's favorite memory of his service. He was sent here in 2003.

"I'd never been out of the country," Morris said. "(The military) sent me to Okinawa and then Thailand. It blew my mind."

But his favorite part of his job as an administrative clerk is "the Marines I work with," he said, noting it's "just the atmosphere that's provided being there."

While Morris has decided not to make the Marine Corps a career -- he's due to separate in July -- he said it's given him great opportunities to develop his interests.

"You spend a lot of time by yourself," he said. And he's used that time to write. He is planning on attending Bowling Green State University in Ohio beginning in August. Morris said he chose that school in particular because it has a good creative writing program.

jinelson
12-13-06, 08:09 AM
Why I Serve:

A Family's Sense of Service

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/2005021402a_72.jpg

Marine Sgt. Mandy L. McCammon, with Headquarters and Service Battalion, Marine Corps Base at Camp Butler in Okinawa, was deployed to Utapao, Thailand, in support of the Combined Support Force organizing the relief effort. She said that as she grew up, it seemed service that services was something everyone was supposed to do. Photo by Samantha Quigley

By Samantha L. Quigley

WASHINGTON, Feb. 11, 2005 "It just felt like service was something everyone was supposed to do," Marine Sgt. Mandy L. McCammon said in Utapao, Thailand, recently.

By Samantha L. Quigley

WASHINGTON, Feb. 11, 2005 "It just felt like service was something everyone was supposed to do," Marine Sgt. Mandy L. McCammon said in Utapao, Thailand, recently.

Her mother, a Canadian citizen, instilled a sense of service in her, McCammon said. She was encouraged to give back to others through church and community, but not military, she added.

But she followed the lead of her grandfather, a World War II veteran and her brother who served in the military for 12 years.

McCammon, however, said conveying the message of why she serves isn't always easy when she's talking to civilians. "It's hard to explain to people who don't serve," McCammon said. "I really like the responsibility."

She's assigned to Headquarters and Service Battalion, Marine Corps Base at Camp Butler in Okinawa, where she is the central bureau chief for the Okinawa Marine newspaper. Her deployment to Utapao was in support of the Combined Support Force offering relief to the tsunami disaster victims.

McCammon wasn't always been in the news business, however.

At 22, she became a Marine Corps combat instructor, an assignment she said she took very personally. "Teaching young Marines to survive combat," she said, made her "very proud."

Though she's been a Marine for seven years, she doesn't anticipate making it a career.

"I have two kids now, so I feel like my priorities are shifting," she said.

The Utapao deployment was the first away from her children.

"It's really hard to explain to the kids (when they ask) 'Why do you have to leave me to go help somebody else?'" McCammon said.

But she said her deployment helping the disaster victims would help her explain. The stories she gathered from her time in Thailand would add to stories from her years in the Marine Corps that she would tell her son, 5, and her daughter, who is about to celebrate her first birthday.