PDA

View Full Version : French Warfighting Effectiveness

wrbones
01-26-03, 11:58 PM
http://www.ndu.edu/inss/strforum/forum94.html

A loooooong read

Super Dave
01-27-03, 09:03 AM
I think the 1st lessons the Freanh teach their military is the proper ways to surrender!

MillRatUSMC
01-27-03, 01:50 PM
It doesn't take into effect many things of the performance of the French forces during Desert Storm.
At the offset of Desert Shield/Desert Storm, the French were relented to join in any attack on Iraq.
This was dued to the French having sold much of Iraq military ware, Exocet missiles, Mirage jets which the French had sold to Iraq.
The Iraqi tanks were supplied by the Soviets; T-72 tanks.
So any delay in the French joining Nato and the Allies has it orgin in those facts stated above.
This must be what the French High Command is dealing with at this point in time.
Also at the moment those two stated in this post have a great deal of investments with Iraq dued to their failing ecomonies.
This might be the reason for France treathing to veto any UN attack on Iraq led by United States and Britian.
Because there might be a repeat of the arms that they sold Iraq.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

PS I tried to estimate the performance of the French in the future from a military point of view.

k24io
01-27-03, 03:26 PM
Hi I'm a newbie from Uk.

The french are improving, but they have sold lots of shiny kit to many 'rogue states' - Argies etc. I think they are just reacting to the end of the cold war really.

The French Foreign Legion does have a few excellent units, I think there is one comprised mainly of ex Para's and Commandos ( proper commandos - RM). The French had political problems in 1991, I dont' think that was due to arms but to the sudden release of French hostages.

My 2p worth.

Rob Parry
01-27-03, 03:39 PM
Kev, don't let out all the Frogs secrets. They're great Chefs, Endex.

vance
01-28-03, 12:56 PM
I know a trooper who went into Iraq with French Armor during the Gulf War . He said his unit was impressed with professionalism of the French.