PDA

View Full Version : Problem with running.

SamJohnston
12-03-06, 08:43 AM
For the past month I've been running one mile a day. I know thats not a lot but I'm in pretty bad shape so running a mile is quite a feat for me. However, for the past five days I've only been able to run a half mile at the most. Is there something I'm doing wrong or should I take a break for a few days. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

eipoth
12-03-06, 10:54 AM
Hi,
Have you been running everyday for the past month? If so, yeah, you're going to need to stop for a day or 2 for recovery time. Actually I think you're not supposed to run 7 days in a row either. I know for track we ran Mondays-Saturdays but not on Sundays, to allow the muscles to recover and regrow.

Marine84
12-03-06, 11:01 AM
I'm no runner either...........I got recycled in bootcamp for it too but, the one thing that kept me motivated for those 9 days I was in PCP was that next platoon (14A) that was going to graduate and I was hell bent to go out with them!

Find something that motivates you to do it. Reward yourself with something after you've done your run - be it a burger, beer or smoke - you know what I'm saying? Run with somebody that LIKES to run - it will motivate you not to quit (cause that's what you're doing). Bottom line is - the motivation has to come from within. The ONLY other thing that will motivate you is a DI in your face or on your heels yelling at you about NOT QUITTING - heard it too many times and they were right - it was all about me quitting, telling myself I couldn't do it. Once I told myself that I could and that I WAS going to make it out with the next platoon - things changed - and I only had to do 1 1/2 miles for a PFT. They have to do 3 now!

Good luck and utilize the time you have before you get to MCRD.

devildoghopeful
12-03-06, 01:43 PM
I try and run as often as I can and I've hit this same wall a couple of times. I put it down to a number of factors.

1 - Maybe your TOO motivated. I know when I'm psyched up and go for a run, I often forget to pace myself properly and burn out too quick.

2 - Like eipoth said, maybe you're just pushing yourself too hard and you're body cant keep up, make sure you occasionally take a day out but more importantly, stretch out before and especially AFTER a workout to prevent cramps, sprains etc.

3 - How's your diet? What you eat can be really important to how you perform when working out. Getting enough calories? Drinking enough fluids?

4 - This one may sound weird but it was a factor for me - are you getting a good amount of sleep? If you're sleep deprived and you're not in great shape, excercise can prove to be very difficult because your muscles haven't had a chance to relax and loosen up properly.

I hope this helped, you're right - 1 mile isn't very far but you've got plenty of time, what's important is that you're pushing yourself (and it's clear that you are) and if you continue to push yourself and stay motivated, you'll be a PFT Stud in no time!

Keep up the good work bro!

Alex

Accord
12-03-06, 03:16 PM
You're overtraining. You'll see quicker results running 3-4 times a week than you will running every single day. Running every single day just tears your body down without giving yourself any time to repair.

SamJohnston
12-03-06, 04:57 PM
Okay. Thanks for the tips and motovation everyone.

Wolfman07
12-03-06, 07:12 PM
Another thing you could try would be to run for time. Say set your goal for 15-20 min and dont even think about walking until the time runs out. I used to suck at running but recently Ive kicked it into gear and got my 3 mile time below 22 min. Honestly running is all mental, all you have to do is push through the pain and get the negative thoughts out of your head. The advice about running with someone who likes to run is great. I used to run with a PFC that loved running, he would sprint to the 1.5 mile mark and I would trail behind. He would wait for me there and when I got there he would sprint back and I would have to turn around get my butt back. This sucked physically but it pushed me and right before he left to catch up with his unit I was able to keep up with him for a fairly long time. That was great motivation. I am going to do this with another poolee I know from school who asked me to help him train and hopefully he will get the same motivation I did.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-03-06, 10:51 PM
www.runnersworld.com

Check their beginner forum.

hawks
12-04-06, 12:16 AM
Whats your stats like? Are you overweight or just out of running shape?

SamJohnston
12-04-06, 04:20 PM
I'm about 5' 9" and 196LBS. I'm not too overweight, but I do have a little extra baggage here and there.

Accord
12-04-06, 04:24 PM
I'm about 5' 9" and 196LBS. I'm not too overweight, but I do have a little extra baggage here and there.
Unless you have a lot of muscle, 5'9" and 196 pounds makes you a fat body. Lose 25 pounds and running will be a LOT easier for you.

SmokeyBandit
12-04-06, 07:06 PM
The best thing I can think of is what the Drill Instructor on Ears, Open, Eyeballs, Click tells one recruit during the hump. It always motivates me...

"I ain't seen you puttin out! Freakin motivate yourself and get the freak up there. Baby ****, how about that? How about that? How about puttin out? How about that! We shoulda joined the freakin Army, that's what we shoulda done, we shoulda joined another branch of service, because I tell ya what baby **** you aint puttin out to the damn standards. That means RUN, RUN if you wanna freaking earn the DAMN TITLE! AND YOU DON'T STOP AND YOU DON'T STOP AND YOU DON'T STOP!...Save the drama for your god damn Momma Son!"

Least I think that's what he said, sometimes it's hard to understand what he's saying with his back to the camera.

Good Luck

Barrette
12-04-06, 08:46 PM
if you have the makeing of a Marine handbook given to you when u become a poolee they have have a good physical conditioning setup in the back of it they give you four different workout they wouldn't put them in there if they wern't tested i did the first workout because i am a very fast sprinter but when in come to endurence i lacked it so i did the physical conditioning I... It did out u start out by running for 1 min then walking for 4 min u do this for 20min then after 2 days you go to 2 min run 3 min walking for 20 min then 2 days latter you do run for 3 min walk for 2 min for 20 min then on and on then you run for 5 min and walk for 5 min two rotations of that for 20 min then you keep goin up by the time your done after 30 days you can run 20 min or more straight

Barrette
12-04-06, 08:56 PM
Start off with a 5 min warm up walk then stretch then do routine then after routine do a 5 min cooldown hopefully it helps you it did wonders for me.... Goodluck let me know how u make out if you try it....

Marine84
12-04-06, 09:32 PM
"I ain't seen you puttin out! Freakin motivate yourself and get the freak up there. Baby ****, how about that? How about that? How about puttin out? How about that! We shoulda joined the freakin Army, that's what we shoulda done, we shoulda joined another branch of service, because I tell ya what baby **** you aint puttin out to the damn standards. That means RUN, RUN if you wanna freaking earn the DAMN TITLE! AND YOU DON'T STOP AND YOU DON'T STOP AND YOU DON'T STOP!...Save the drama for your god damn Momma Son!"

Sounds dead on the money to me............you would be surprised what it does to you - HAAHAHAHAHAHA!

Christiansen
12-05-06, 08:07 AM
If you ever take psychology in high school or college, you'll definitely hear something called fight or flight syndrome among other terms that describe your minds reaction to stimulation(motivation or stress). Without a doubt, stress of any kind (fighting with a friend, obviously a drill instructor in your face or even loud rock/rap "in da' clubs") will cause changes, as you probably know, in your physical state. (common example - adrenaline glands produce a hormone and make your heart kick in gear) This is pretty general stuff, but it's basically another (and longer) way of saying: "It's all mental".

Once you get yourself over the hill each day (depending on what your daily goal is) - then it'll be a breeze going downhill the rest of the way. Set yourself a goal. Not something impossible but not something too possible. I suggest bringing an IPOD or CD player if you have either and listen to something that'll make you wanna kick someone's ass. (rock, rap or even a few USMC cadences if you can find the means)

Keep a constant thought process going...don't think too much about what you're doing. (but keep an eye out if you're on the road)

You're a MACHINE, damm*t! ... Don't let anything get you to quit your goal or slow you down. If a car or tractor trailer cuts you off, dont try to pick em up and throw em off the road... forgive them, for they know not what they do.

Now go to it, ROBO!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/lilmilkshake04130/other/dancingrobot4.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);) http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q109/ice99_photo/th21585ead.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);)

drillinstructor
12-05-06, 09:34 AM
I must be a bad person. I will apologize now but when I seen this thread I wanted to puke. Here is some advice

Run until your heart explodes...go ahead and keep quitting on yourself because I will send you right back to your momma. You probably quit everything you have started in life and running is no different. Don't bring your sob story here. Push your body past the limits. One mile? Are you freakin kidding me? run run run longer, harder, faster. Give 100% of yourself at all times and never quit or give up. And oh by the way try running every other day and eat right.

DI sends

JoeSzynal
12-05-06, 10:38 PM
However, for the past five days I've only been able to run a half mile at the most.

This sentence doesn't make sense to me. What happenns at the half mile point? Do your feet fall off?

It's won and lost in your head. Figure that out before you DEP in.

drillinstructor
12-06-06, 09:57 AM
Damn Joe you are a Cpl now? I remember you in boot camp in the up-north chow hall. Semper Fi!!!!!

JoeSzynal
12-06-06, 08:21 PM
That's right Gunny, picked up meritoriously yesterday. And i'll never forget that day in the chowhall, talk about unwanted attention!! Bwa ha ha. Good times though.

jinelson
12-06-06, 08:37 PM
ROTFLMFAO that was the talk of this site and one of the funniest things thats ever happened to Poolee here. Im editing my favorite quotes for you new Poolee's and the link for the whole thread is below for those that are not afraid to research. Also check out the Corporols Blog especially the early 2005 entries. http://www.neocongonemarine.blogspot.com/

Jim

3-22-05 drillinstructor - just looked him up he is in 2077 haha

4-17-05 drillinstructor - OK recruit szynal...you may remember this day it is april 17th and I just had your DI bring you to the DI table at the chow hall up north and we were giving you a ration of **** for your blog you have started....no pun intended and quit talking like a lil b-----. Have some confidence recruit.....I was the GySgt asking you the questins and told your DI that you had pictures of wrestling on your site and he started with the gay jokes..ahhh it was funny and I know you are going to get slayed today..hey no worries in 1 1/2 months I will call you my bro but right now you are still nothing......

4-17-05 LivinSoFree - He's got a new post up as of last week...

4-17-05 drillinstructor - yea I read it and he and his DI were on their way back to the house from the chow hall to read it also and he is getting slayed today.....I think I may just pop over their and slay him myself. You know I want to give him something to write about in his blog...haha

4-20-05 drillinstructor - no you didn't read it correctly, he sends the message in a letter to his brother and his brother post it for him.............

4-20-05 drillinstructor - yes Syznal is here and is paying for his blog...he is a good recruit though and will probably end up a squad leader after it is all said and done.........

6-02-05 JoeSyznal - Wow. What a trip that was. Do not know where to start so I will address the good Gunnery Sgt.

Quote:
OK recruit szynal...you may remember this day it is april 17th and I just had your DI bring you to the DI table at the chow hall up north and we were giving you a ration of **** for your blog you have started....no pun intended and quit talking like a lil b-----. Have some confidence recruit.....I was the GySgt asking you the questins and told your DI that you had pictures of wrestling on your site and he started with the gay jokes..ahhh it was funny and I know you are going to get slayed today..hey no worries in 1 1/2 months I will call you my bro but right now you are still nothing......

Yes Sir I do remember this day like it was yesterday. One minute I'm sitting there at my table in the chowhall, ferociously scarfing down my chow when I hear "SZYNALLL!!" screamed across the room. There was no mistake, I was being summoned and there was definately an "oh ****" bell ringing in my head. The next thing I know i'm being marched over to the Drill Instructor table. Packed. That's when I think I actually verbalized an inaudible "oh ****". If it wasn't that moment it was the next when I heard someone say the word "blog". I knew then it was going to be a long day.

Allow me to specifiy that the blog started as an effort to keep family and friends posted on what was going on with my journey through boot camp and beyond. There was no way I was going to write everyone back that sent me letters so the blog served as more of a catch-all for those who never got a letter from me.

Then one day, before shipping, I discovered this site and shared the URL in this thread, probably getting a bit ahead of myself, but maybe not.

Yes I did get slayed but strangely enough not that same afternoon if my memory serves me correctly. I'm laughing about it now becuase I'm assuming I can but what I remember is Drill Instructor Staff Sgt. T, after the verbal onslaught at the Drill Instructor table, marching me back to the duty hut and standing at attention while he read out loud many of the posts on the site.

I was not slayed immediately however becuase I believe Drill Instructor Staff Sgt. T, after dismissing me from the duty hut, wanted to take the time to carefully comb through all the material and gather whatever ammo he could on me. He did.

I'll just say this. Everytime I got slayed after April 17th, the word "blog" was always tossed around.

The post about "From Chow to Chow" was my last but not because any fear existed through continuing with it. Matter of fact I was approached later by my Senior Drill Instructor who encouraged me to maintain it when I had time, expressing that he enjoyed my writing.

No I stopped becuase I developed an attitude of excessive letter writing was a sign of weakness. I'm not sure if this attitude was widespread amoung other platoons but in 2077, recruits who used all their square away time writing letters were perceived as being homesick mama's boys who couldn't cut the cord. I adopted these feelings and the letter writing/blogging dropped off without regret. After all, why write letters when you could attack the nights mini-missions. Why spend Sunday morning burried in your notepaper when you could be prepping for field day or go to religious services and reflect etc. I remember towards the end of second phase and third phase whenever we'd gather for mail call, i'd subtly shake my head at those recruits who were consistantly receiving 5 to 10 pieces of mail every call. I couldn't help thinking "****, who is going through boot camp? you? or those ten relatives who won't let you get after it?"

Those feelings may change when I'm on long deployments and I am TRUELY cut off, but seriously, we're in the states here gents. Try going without the stupid mail for a week.

Anyhow, thank you Gunnery Sgt. It took April 17 to show me the light. This was my journey. There will be plenty of time to bull**** and tell war stories after i've actually done some **** overseas. I'm sure you agree Sir.

I'll be active here on this board during my leave for sure.

I'll also be blogging! I've been working on something I think you'll enjoy that i'm going to post tomorrow if time allows. I'm still entertaining family members who are in town so it may be later on.

Thank you for the kind words Sir. You were correct. I was able to finish strong as 1st squad leader. If you attended the graduation today you would have also seen me marching with the follow series guidon.

Thank again to you Sir and your staff for everything. I truely believe we had the toughest and most disciplined Drill Instructors in all of Hotel Company. Looking back I would not have traded them for anybody else. Feels good to be a Marine!

oooRaaaaa!!!!!!

Pfc. Szynal.

6-02-05 drillinstructor - Yes I did see you marching proudly yesterday......Good Job Marine....

6-02 05 drillinstructor - an oh by the way April 17th was kinda funny....

6-03-05 JoeSzynal - Absolutely Sir. There were some clever zingers tossed at me in the chowhall that day. I can laugh now but i'd be lying if I said there were no sweat beads on my brow as I made my way to the Drill Instructor Table. Good Times.

Link as promised: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18924

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/muttley-vi.gif

irizavrima
12-06-06, 10:29 PM
i was under the impression that running is the only thing a person requires to keep their legs in excellent shape...I attend the gym frequently but never squat. i attempted to squat my own body weight but could hardly do it 8 times...it turns out i can bench press much more then i can squat properly and im wondering if this plays a factor in my inability to run as fast as i want to? currently i have a 6 minute mile but I know that im better then this.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-06-06, 11:15 PM
I am sure it does.

Accord
12-07-06, 12:06 AM
i was under the impression that running is the only thing a person requires to keep their legs in excellent shape...I attend the gym frequently but never squat. i attempted to squat my own body weight but could hardly do it 8 times...it turns out i can bench press much more then i can squat properly and im wondering if this plays a factor in my inability to run as fast as i want to? currently i have a 6 minute mile but I know that im better then this.
Marathon runners probably can't even squat their own bodyweight one time, they have literally no muscle at all. I used to do heavy leg training in the gym and it did wonders for my ability to sprint and run short distances, I could easily run a mile in 5:25 but my endurance and 3 mile runs suffered as a result because I was carrying a lot of muscle on my legs so my legs were needlessly heavy which just killed my endurance, so I cut back to just doing some light bodyweight stuff and no more heavy squats, extensions, etc. and my endurance improved significantly and now I consistently finished either first or second at the runs we do at poolee functions at my RS.

Take a look at the physique of an Olympic sprinter and one of the long distance runners, they're total opposites. The sprinter is absolutely ripped with massive legs and the long distance runner is skinny with barely any muscle. The Marine Corps wants long distance endurance runners, not 100m sprinters, that doesn't mean you have to be extremely skinny with no muscle, but just be solid. Not 200 pounds of muscle, but also not a 130 pound twig, just a good solid physique.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-07-06, 01:05 PM
Accord, I don't know that I agree with your statement that the Marine Corps doesn't want sprinters. In honesty, in a combat situation running a 100 meter sprint is more important than a three mile run. But, it isn't as if we're talking about marathons... it is THREE MILES. Less than a 5K. You can perform well in a three mile run and still be in great shape in other ways as well. Now, I don't know that you need bodybuilder quads, but I have squatted at least once a week since 7th grade except for times I was recovering from an injury and while in boot camp. I managed to run just fine. If anything, I believe more leg strength would have helped me on the PFT.