PDA

View Full Version : Dress Blues For Recruits

jinelson
12-02-06, 11:43 AM
By General Conway The Commandant Of The Marine Corps - 4 - Young Marines will be issued Dress Blues, and it may cost the MC money to do this, but they should have them. Currently they are not issued Dress Blues upon boot camp graduation. Young Marines are being buried in borrowed Dress Blues, they should have them as their own.

Read some more of the new Commandants decisions for change at this link:

Jim

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37856

1stRad2671
12-02-06, 05:04 PM
Now that's a change I like. :thumbup:

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-02-06, 06:00 PM
They stopped doing that not too long before I enlisted. We all know it won't cost the Corps any money, they'll just deduct it from they pay you receive at the end of recruit training. And every Marine should have a set of Blues to wear while on boot leave. But, it does mean that will be that much more you have to have inspection ready at all times.

TylerA23
12-02-06, 07:18 PM
will Recruits still get the Dress Blues Free upon Graduation who have given 3 referals? or will that incintive cease to exist, and when does this go into action?

Accord
12-02-06, 11:44 PM
Does anyone know when this is supposed to take effect? Also, does this mean that all Marines will be graduating in blue trousers like they used to do it?

I ship on January 8th, hopefully it will go into effect before then!

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-03-06, 01:28 AM
I hope they don't go back to Marines graduating in Blues. The campaign cover looks retarded with Blues.

TylerA, if you have lived up to an obligation that promised you free blues, then you will get your free blues.

Kildars
12-03-06, 02:32 AM
Makes me want to be in the Marine Corps even more now.

Good change in my opinion, though I wonder what honor Marines will get now if everyone graduates in blues? Maybe a medal?

iamcloudlander
12-03-06, 02:35 AM
question will the Marines that have already graduated from boot camp be issued blues as well? If not this would create a real morale problem throughout the Marine Corps.
Does anyone out there remember Admiral Zumwalt CNO of the Navy in the 70's he tried to change the Navy along the same vein as this CMC and it didn't work very good either.
I think he had better do a little more thought on some of his ideas for the changes he is proposing.
I was in for almost 10 years and never once had an occasion to wear dress blues.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-03-06, 02:55 AM
They didn't seem to have a problem when they did this in the 90s, so I doubt they'll have one now.

And they will not be giving a medal to the honor grad. We're not the Army, you have to earn a medal in the Marines. He will probably get a plack of some sort. The pride isn't in getting the Blues, it is in being the honor man.

jinelson
12-03-06, 02:58 AM
I remember Admiral Zumwalt and his changes we actually thought that some may apply to us but the Corps won that one. We especially liked the hair cut regs.

Kildars
12-03-06, 03:45 AM
They didn't seem to have a problem when they did this in the 90s, so I doubt they'll have one now.

And they will not be giving a medal to the honor grad. We're not the Army, you have to earn a medal in the Marines. He will probably get a plack of some sort. The pride isn't in getting the Blues, it is in being the honor man.

Very true Corporal, well said.

Old Marine
12-03-06, 09:33 AM
question will the Marines that have already graduated from boot camp be issued blues as well? If not this would create a real morale problem throughout the Marine Corps.
Does anyone out there remember Admiral Zumwalt CNO of the Navy in the 70's he tried to change the Navy along the same vein as this CMC and it didn't work very good either.
I think he had better do a little more thought on some of his ideas for the changes he is proposing.
I was in for almost 10 years and never once had an occasion to wear dress blues.

Ah Yes, Admiral Zumwalt and his "Z" Grams. Amazing. I really liked the ones on facial hair and the one on the wearing of the Navy work clothes or what ever they were called. Those people used to sit at the bus stops in San Diego with those cruddy clothes on and really looked squared away.

They finally figured out about the facial hair and not being able to get a good sel on an OB mask and had to start shaving.

ggyoung
12-03-06, 11:18 AM
The part about facial hair was the best of all the things the adm.Z sent. I was on a lot of operations in Vietnam were you would not shave untill it was over. I always felt more dirty with a beard. Remember water at that time was for drinking not shaving. In "Ape school" with the old 1st brgade we were tought not to shave in the jungle(SP it's bad today) becouse of liver fulks and other things. All Vietnam Vets that was out in the bush still has a lots of little bugs in there system that there is no name for.