PDA

View Full Version : More Anti Military behavior...

Sgt Leprechaun
12-02-06, 09:31 AM
The link is here:

http://intraining.typepad.com/in_training/2006/11/you_are_not_wel.html
You are not welcome here

That's what the Walkabout (http://www.walkabout.eu.com/010/LIV/intro.html) bar in Liverpool, England told two Royal Marine Commandos who wanted a drink after their fellow Commando's funeral (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23375795-details/Soldiers%20turned%20away%20from%20bar%20after%20fu neral/article.do).
-- "Two Royal Marines were refused entry to a bar just hours after a colleague's funeral because they were in uniform. The two servicemen went for a drink at the Walkabout bar in Liverpool city centre following the funeral of Corporal Ben Nowak (http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/liverpooldailypost/news/regionalnews/tm_headline=funeral-held-for-hero-liverpool-marine&method=full&objectid=18147423&siteid=50061-name_page.html) at the city's Anglican cathedral.
Cpl Nowak, 27, who served with 45 Commando, was one of four people killed in a bomb attack on a patrol boat in southern Iraq on Remembrance Sunday. His two colleagues, who were among 1,000 mourners at yesterday's funeral, were turned away by staff at the door of the bar."
The only good part of the story is how the people around reacted:
-- "Stunned bystanders shouted at the bouncers and told them to show respect to the servicemen. Student Ben Booth, who witnessed the event, said he was shocked by what he saw. He told BBC Radio Merseyside's phone-in show: "I spoke to the bouncers and said their colleague had just died in the service of our Government. I am absolutely shocked that people would act this way to our soldiers."
You tell 'em Ben! What did the slimy gits have to say for themselves?

-- "As a responsible bar operator, we have a strict policy of refusing entry to anyone believed to be aggressive.
"Furthermore, Walkabout in Liverpool has a strict policy of refusing entry to anyone in uniform due to previous issues with uniformed customers. These policies are designed solely to increase the safety and comfort of all our customers.
"Two of the group were in uniform and doorstaff believed that other members of the group were behaving aggressively, so they were refused admission."
The spokesman offered his condolences to Cpl Nowak's friends, comrades and family and offered the group who were turned away a complimentary lunch. He stressed the soldiers must not be in uniform."
It's funny that the bystanders didn't seem to mind our brave troops going into the bar. It's funny that they said they should be able to go in. Didn't seem like they were frightened for their lives.
"Condolences" are not enough. What has the Walkabout done for our troops lately? Or ever. I don't happen to be over there quite yet, but when I am, I will never step foot in a Walkabout. And I'll make sure that nobody I know does either.
*** Update ***

I decided to give the Walkabout a call (http://www.walkabout.eu.com/010/LIV/intro.html) to see what I could find out. I spoke with Jack, and he assured me that they were turning away everyone that night, not just the Marines.
He also said that they've been having a terrible weekend. I'm so very happy about that because it shows that even in the U.K. (where they are not as patriotic and troop supportive as the U.S.) when you offend the troops who are fighting for our lives, you pay for it.
I tentatively suggested that the Walkabout do something supportive of the troops to show that they care about them and this was all a mistake - Jack said there was a big meeting with corporate soon to decide that very thing. We'll see, I guess.

Part II

You are not welcome here part II

This is a continuation of my previous post (http://intraining.typepad.com/in_training/2006/11/you_are_not_wel.html), about the two Royal Marine Commandos turned away from a Walkabout bar in Liverpool (http://www.walkabout.eu.com/010/LIV/intro.html) for being in uniform (they were in uniform because they had attended the funeral of a fallen Royal Marine).
I was at work when I read the article, researched a bit, wrote the post, and called the bar in England. Because of being at work, I didn't elaborate as much as I would have liked to on my conversation with Jack. Jack was the employee of Walkabout in Liverpool that I spoke with, my first reporting of that conversation follows:
-- "I decided to give the Walkabout a call (http://www.walkabout.eu.com/010/LIV/intro.html) to see what I could find out. I spoke with Jack, and he assured me that they were turning away everyone that night, not just the Marines.
He also said that they've been having a terrible weekend. I'm so very happy about that because it shows that even in the U.K. (where they are not as patriotic and troop supportive as the U.S.) when you offend the troops who are fighting for our lives, you pay for it.
I tentatively suggested that the Walkabout do something supportive of the troops to show that they care about them and this was all a mistake - Jack said there was a big meeting with corporate soon to decide that very thing. We'll see, I guess."
I'd like to add that Jack said that the Marines showed up at 10 minutes to 2:00 in the morning - 2:00 am being their closing time - and that the bar was turning everyone away. This strikes me as odd for two reasons:
1. The articles say that the Marines were turned away not long after the funeral of their fallen soldier. Jack says it was 2:00 am.
2. I've had experience with RMs, and though they are proud to wear their beautiful blues when the occasion calls for it, they absolutely dislike wearing them otherwise. The uniforms are hot and heavy, quite uncomfortable. I wasn't there to witness any of this, but the Royal Marines I know don't run around town in their dress blues. Not for long anyway.

Jack also said (when I asked) that the Walkabout would let uniformed soldiers in, and that they were "for the military." This is in direct opposition to the corporate office's official statement that has appeared in all of the articles:

-- "Furthermore, Walkabout in Liverpool has a strict policy of refusing entry to anyone in uniform due to previous issues with uniformed customers. These policies are designed solely to increase the safety and comfort of all our customers.
"Two of the group were in uniform and doorstaff believed that other members of the group were behaving aggressively, so they were refused admission."
The spokesman offered his condolences to Cpl Nowak's friends, comrades and family and offered the group who were turned away a complimentary lunch. He stressed the soldiers must not be in uniform."
I have personally emailed most of the contact emails on the Walkabout website (http://www.walkabout.eu.com/080contact.html), including the Liverpool branch, Liverpool@walkabout.eu.com (Liverpool@walkabout.eu.com). Haven't received an answer yet, but it was late England time when I wrote. If I do hear back from anyone, I will certainly post it.
I encourage anyone who has the time to email as well - let them know we don't just stand up for "our" guys!
*** 11/28/06 Update ***
Heard back from Walkabout via email, seems they are flip-floppers:

-- "Thank you for your recent correspondence concerning the incident that took place at Walkabout Liverpool last week. We have received a large number of emails on this matter and we will be reviewing them in the days that follow.
In order to provide you with a speedy response to your email, we sincerely hope that you will accept this open email as an explanation of the specific circumstances surrounding the recent incident in Liverpool and clarification of the company's policy towards uniformed service personnel.

The Licensing Act of 2003 places clear responsibility upon all of our venue teams to ensure that all of our customers can enjoy a safe experience. The careful screening of customers at the door entry point is critical to achieving this objective. Nevertheless, Walkabout does not have a nationwide policy concerning the admittance of uniformed service personnel. On any given night and at any given venue our door team, in consultation with the general manager on duty, is asked to make a judgement on safety grounds as to whether it is appropriate or not to admit any customer.

On the night in question, our door staff took the decision to refuse entry to the group in light of specific incidents that had taken place in the city that evening. Regrettably, in our experience, some members of the public do not always respond favourably to service personnel drinking whilst in uniform. To help put this recent incident into context, in the past six months the Liverpool Walkabout has had three incidents where the safety of both uniformed service personnel and other customers was compromised. Additionally, in October 2005 a serviceman (in civilian clothing) was involved in an incident which sadly resulted in his death.

We deeply regret that this incident has caused considerable upset to you, Cpl Nowak's family, friends, comrades and all British servicemen. We are extremely respectful of the work carried out by our service personnel at home and overseas.
We sincerely hope that you appreciate our position."

Once they make up their minds, I will STILL not be using their services. You can "regret" it all you want, but until I see Walkabout make an effort to SUPPORT their troops, I'm out.

Comment update - for those who didn't see in the comments in my earlier post - Charlie, a Royal Marine Commado wife (he has just left to serve in Afghanistan) and author of Baby Life Dog Days (http://www.cavilli.blogspot.com/) noted this:
"Walkabout have a rep for this, I know my 'royal' and his mates have been turned away from local ones because they looked too 'military.'"

Classy.

Part III

You are not welcome here part III

And hopefully final update. Unless there are good things to report!
Background: Part One (http://intraining.typepad.com/in_training/2006/11/you_are_not_wel.html)
Part Two (http://intraining.typepad.com/in_training/2006/11/you_are_not_wel_1.html)
I emailed Walkabout, they emailed back, I emailed back to tell them their email wasn't good enough (the Walkabout email can be found in Part Two). I was a little surprised this morning to find another email from Walkabout in my inbox. Here it is:
Dear Kathy
Many thanks for your recent email to our website. We have posted a statement (http://www.walkaboutinns.com/12uniformed.html) onto the homepage of the walkabout website clarifying our policy, expressing regret for the upset caused and welcoming the marines back for a free lunch, in uniform.

It reads as follows:
CHANGE OF POLICY REGARDING UNIFORMED PERSONNEL
In light of a regrettable incident that occurred in Liverpool last week when two Royal Marines were not allowed into the bar, we wanted to clarify our policy:
There is no national policy banning uniformed service personnel. There was a non-uniform policy in Liverpool due to three incidents in the last six months where the safety of uniformed personnel was compromised. However, further to recent feedback we have revised this policy and the uniform ban in Liverpool has been lifted, bringing it in-line with the rest of our bars.

Futhermore, we welcome the group of marines that were turned away back to the bar for a free lunch in full uniform.
We deeply regret that this incident has caused upset to Cpl Nowak's family, friends and comrades and want to re-iterate that all service personnel are welcome at all of our bars.
------------------------
Whilst I understand the fierce reaction to the misinformed reports that there was a blanket ban on service personnel across our business, I hope you will welcome this clarification of our position.

Kind regards
Simon Kaye
Commercial Director
Regent Inns
I added the website with the policy change statement (http://www.walkaboutinns.com/12uniformed.html) into the first paragraph.
I kinda hope that any and every Royal Marine Commando in the local area shows up in their beautiful blue blues - even though I know they only wear them on genuinely special occasions.
It is nice that they took the trouble to email me back, again. I definitely was, as Mr. Kaye says "fierce." And that is the way that I will always be in regard to our fighting best! Thank you to everyone who posted about this, and everyone that took the time to contact Walkabout! They just need to offer a military discount to make me really happy :o)

And, lastly, from an American reader of "Blackfive" (link is here: http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/11/unwelcome_in_am.html#more )

So, yeah. It's still going on. And, no doubt, will continue.

Hi Grim,
I read your posting today about the Royal Marine being refused service in a local pub. My son was refused service in his hometown when he showed his military ID. He was home after his 1<SUP>st</SUP> deployment to Iraq (he has been 2 more times) over the 4<SUP>th</SUP> of July. I will never get over what happened to him. I did raise hell and the bartender was terminated but the damage was done as far as my son looking at his hometown the same. I was ashamed. He was also called a baby killer by someone in the very same bar that saw his ID…….Unbelievable. I find myself getting upset once again writing this. I have nothing but the deepest respect for what our fine young men and women are doing; they should not have to put up with some of the garbage they are facing. Nothing makes me angrier or more ashamed of some of my fellow Americans. Thank you for what you do, it gives me hopeJ God Bless America and our soldiers. Robyn Giacoletti

<!-- technorati tags -->

<!-- technorati tags -->

10thzodiac
12-03-06, 04:00 AM
To bad they don't have an ACLU in the UK

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/03.gif

Sgt Leprechaun
12-03-06, 06:06 AM
Do you really think the ACLU in this country would take up this case??

I personally doubt it...

Besides, the "American Communist Liberals Union" is about 100 percent worthless. They only thing they are good for is rabble rousing and anti American behavior.

10thzodiac
12-03-06, 02:42 PM
Do you really think the ACLU in this country would take up this case??

I personally doubt it...

Besides, the "American Communist Liberals Union" is about 100 percent worthless. They only thing they are good for is rabble rousing and anti American behavior.

Noteworthy, recently the ACLU has given Lectures in the Peoples Republic of China on Constitutional Law explaining the American constitutional system including the protection of rights guaranteed to individuals under the American Charter of Liberty.

Contrary to popular opinion, the ACLU is the most "conservative" organization in the country because it stands up for the nation's oldest document - the Constitution, and "laws ... in Pursuance thereof" enforcing civil liberties as "the supreme Law of the land."

Our county's founders were skeptical that the federal government would abide by the restraints on power mandated by the constitution and they were especially gloomy that the government - any government - would respect individual rights against what Alexis de Tocqueville was later to term "the tyranny of the majority." The Bill of Rights, the first ten amendments to the constitution, was designed to protect individual liberty but as James Madison expressed to Thomas Jefferson, historically governments abuse individuals to satisfy the popular will. Jefferson's prescription was that a learned and independent judiciary with life tenure was the best hope of protecting individual liberty.

History has proven Jefferson right and the system works. That's why ACLU frequently turns to the judges to protect ordinary people from the inevitable abuses of the authorities. Government has to be constantly reminded that individual liberty is the most cherished theme in the American constitutional constellation and judicial readiness to protect that liberty has been the most effective means of conveying that message.

SF
10th

OLE SARG
12-03-06, 06:06 PM
I CAN NOT BELIEVE ANYONE ON THIS SITE WOULD DEFEND THE LOWLY SCUM OF THE aclu!!!!!!!! They have sunk so far to the left it is pathetic!!!! When you defend the right of a child molestor to entice children, YOU ARE SCUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

10thzodiac
12-03-06, 08:05 PM
http://www.anecdotage.com/pics/boyscouts.jpg

SuNmAN
12-03-06, 08:21 PM
I, too, Have been denied access to "watering holes" while in uniform.

I have also been denied service at resteraunts, gated communities (even when I was with the person who lived behind the gate) and entry to parks.

The same thing happens here in the USA.

not recetnyl right?

maybe post Vietnam?

SuNmAN
12-03-06, 08:23 PM
I CAN NOT BELIEVE ANYONE ON THIS SITE WOULD DEFEND THE LOWLY SCUM OF THE aclu!!!!!!!! They have sunk so far to the left it is pathetic!!!! When you defend the right of a child molestor to entice children, YOU ARE SCUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

I do agree that the ACLU is very far left...I'm not a big fan myself

I think the intentions of the organization is good though - to protect the civil liberties of American citizens...but yeah I agree they have become far too highly liberal.

greensideout
12-03-06, 11:05 PM
Quote; "I think the intentions of the organization is good though".

Dig into their history and who they really are.

ErikHeiker
12-04-06, 12:51 AM
I, too, Have been denied access to "watering holes" while in uniform.

I have also been denied service at resteraunts, gated communities (even when I was with the person who lived behind the gate) and entry to parks.

The same thing happens here in the USA.

Where in the US is this? I've never had my uniform be an issue in the US and as aircrew I go TDY all the time (I know, it's TAD in the Marine Corps!) Lots of times we check into our hotel and then go to the bar for a drink or two in uniform. At home, I normally eat out for lunch and have never been made to feel uncomfortable while in uniform. I thought those days ended with Vietnam.

OLE SARG
12-04-06, 08:39 AM
I agree, their intentions were GOOD at one time. You can't say all the BS they defend now is good for the U. S. AND US!!!!!!! Just like the press in this country, they have carried EVERYTHING TO THE EXTREME!!!!!

Can you defend the way they FEED on small communities with all their liberal BS lawsuits. They have enough money, thanks to all the weird Os who support their unjust cause, they can SCARE these small communities AND INDIVIDUALS into settling dumbass lawsuits!!!!! RESULTS - no cross on a building, 10 commandments are a no-no, no God in schools, NO DISCIPLINE IN SCHOOLS (which is and will be the downfall of our educational system as we know it), etc.

SEMPER FI,

10thzodiac
12-04-06, 12:35 PM
I agree, their intentions were GOOD at one time. You can't say all the BS they defend now is good for the U. S. AND US!!!!!!! Just like the press in this country, they have carried EVERYTHING TO THE EXTREME!!!!!

Can you defend the way they FEED on small communities with all their liberal BS lawsuits. They have enough money, thanks to all the weird Os who support their unjust cause, they can SCARE these small communities AND INDIVIDUALS into settling dumbass lawsuits!!!!! RESULTS - no cross on a building, 10 commandments are a no-no, no God in schools, NO DISCIPLINE IN SCHOOLS (which is and will be the downfall of our educational system as we know it), etc.

SEMPER FI,

I believe in separation of church and state is a good idea, whose fault is it there is no discipline in schools, is it the ACLUs ?

No! I'll tell you whose fault it is: It's the stupid ignorant pig parents !

Do you really think our wealthy politicians really care about our blue collar kids ? No, they don't ! I voted for George Herbert Walker Bush, because he said, "I'm going to be the education president." Lol, Just Like Jimmy "peanuts" Carter promised everybody in the county $100 if he became president, I'm still waiting. I actually thought I was going to get a $100 and voted for him. Hows that for being John Kerry naive ?

Do you think our wealthy politician's would ever consider sending their privileged kids to our blue collar schools ? Do you think they care about our blue collar schools ?

After all, if everyone is going to college and getting smart, that would please John Kerry and we certainly wouldn't want to do that now, would we ? Who would be left to fight the neo-cons brain fart wars, Viet-Iraq ? Someone has to make money and someone has to be a dummy !

The rich get richer and the poor have children, nothing will change.

The trick in America is to get smart earlier enough, so it'll do you and your offspring some good, before it is too late.

Try an 'Epiphany', and get on the right end of the 'American Flag Pole' - the clean end; thats what is has been and will always be, no matter where you are or what you do in life.

Have you ever considered, maybe you are not making enough money or controlling peoples life's enough, unless the ACLU is suing you ? I'm sure this is a private joke among the wealthy powers to be, while they're laughing all the way to the bank with our sweat and blood.

Will anyone tell you, like your father will ?

SF
10th

drumcorpssnare
12-04-06, 01:17 PM
10thz- Let's see if you and I can agree on the "BASIC PREMISE" regarding the seperation of Church and State.

The "church"...any church or organized religion...will not dictate to the Govt., how that government will be run.

The "government"...our Democratic Republic, will not dictate how, or where or to whom, it's people worship. i.e. FREEDOM of RELIGION.

Religions in this country are of course, very opinionated. But do they hold any concrete power directly over our Govt.? No.

Does the American govt. dictate matters of religious worship? Yes. You can't worship in public schools...because there are many different Gods. If you do worship in a public school, you can't speak...you must do it silently.

Our money says, "In God We Trust." It doesn't say which God...just "God."
Yet, people get their panties in a bunch over a nativity scene, or freak-out over a Jewish menorrah, or a mosque in their neighborhood.

Let's not forget that one of the leading reasons people came to this country in the first place was for "RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE."

SEMPER FI:usmc:

drumcorpssnare

10thzodiac
12-04-06, 02:01 PM
drumcorpssnare, without a doubt I sympathize with your point of view.

As for me, I can care less what the other guy is doing as long as he respects the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

To me, religion enslaves minds and hardens hearts; though it professes tolerance and good will to all men. Well now, we know all about that, don't we ?

Does believing make itself ?

If and when the Messiah decides to return, do you think he will still be an Orthodox Jew, like when he left ?

SF
10th

drumcorpssnare
12-04-06, 02:20 PM
10thz- Somebody told me he converted to the Church of Scientology a few years ago!:D

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

SuNmAN
12-04-06, 03:26 PM
wow we are actually having an educated conversation on leatherneck.com

sweet

10thzodiac
12-04-06, 06:38 PM
wow we are actually having an educated conversation on leatherneck.com

sweet

Sh*t happens !

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yfnc_tabledata1 noWrap align=middle></TD><TD class=yfnc_tabledata1 noWrap align=right></TD><TD class=yfnc_tabledata1 noWrap align=right></TD><TD class=yfnc_tabledata1 noWrap align=right></TD><TD class=yfnc_tabledata1 style="TEXT-ALIGN: right" noWrap></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>