PDA

View Full Version : Fundraiser Being Held For Paralyzed 3/25 Marine

thedrifter
12-01-06, 07:24 PM
Fundraiser Being Held For Paralyzed 3/25 Marine

A young Ohio Marine's life was changed forever by wounds he suffered in Iraq, and now his friends and family are hoping to raise the money needed to improve his quality of life, NewsChannel5 reported.

Though he can no longer speak, Gail Ullerie remembers her son's voice and what he said before he left for Iraq.

"He said, ' Mom, this is my job and I have to go. I'll be alright.' He told me, 'Don't worry, I'll be alright,' " Ullerie said.

Last year, Sgt. Shurvon Phillip was on patrol when his Humvee hit a roadside bomb. The Marine took the brunt of the explosion.

Phillip, a member of the Brook Park-based 3rd Battalion 25th Marines, is now confined to a wheelchair, trapped in a body he cannot control.

"It's difficult in a way, but then on the other hand, I'm so thankful that he's here with me," said Ullerie.

Phillip understands everything going on around him. To respond favorably, he flares his nostrils or blinks his eyes. He keeps his face deadpan to show that he's thinking about something or to respond unfavorably.

NewsChannel5 caught up with Phillip and his mother at the VA hospital but their home is an apartment in East Cleveland.

Ullerie said it is now too small to properly care for the retired Marine. With a fundraiser this weekend, they're hoping to raise $100,000 for a handicap accessible house in Richmond Heights.

It's one more way life has forever changed for the 25-year-old Marine. Still, his mother has not given up hope that she will hear the comfort of her son's voice again.

"I'm hoping that one day a miracle is going to happen where at least I can hear my son say, 'Mom it's going to be alright,'" said Ullerie.

The fundraiser will take place Saturday afternoon at the Lakeside Yacht Club, on North Marginal Road in Cleveland. Donations can also be made through the Three Deuce Five Marine Foundation.

Checks can be made payable to Three Deuce Five Marine Foundation and can be sent to: Brennan, Manna and Diamond LLC 75 East Market Street Akron, OH 44308

Donations can be earmarked for Phillip.

Ellie