12-01-06, 03:35 PM
Atten-HUH! Chef caught cooking bug in Marines
By Judy Davis
Originally published 11:29 a.m., December 1, 2006
Updated 11:19 a.m., December 1, 2006

NAME: Geno Thurman

RECIPE: Sweet Potato-Pecan Stuffed Chicken Breast with Cranberry Cream Sauce

SECRET: Good bratwurst and the knowledge of a German grandmother

Geno Thurman, one of the Few, the Proud, the Marines ... who can also cook.

Thurman, executive chef at the Kennel Club, sparked his culinary interests with courses he took while in the U.S. Marine Corps, blossoming as he began cooking for friends.

"I basically followed my interest," he said. "My mom was a bus driver, so we learned to do some cooking for ourselves. I enjoyed it."

After leaving the Corps, Thurman started as a cook for the Radisson Hotel, now the Marriott, where he was promoted to executive chef after six weeks.

Thurman,43, has been at the Kennel Club for the last 10 years, where the membership can be discerning eaters. Thurman tries to keep them pleased and surprised.

"My biggest challenge is staying ahead of new trends," he said. "I try to offer a wide range of specials to suit different tastes.

"That's a main appeal of this club. A member can come in and order things a certain way."

Thurman plans nine specials each day, five for lunch and four for dinner.

"We try not to do the same things too often," he said. "We want diversity."

His own taste, acquired during tours of military duty in Okinawa, Japan and South Korea, runs to Asian food.

"It tastes good, and it's healthy for you," he said.

Thurman is married with three children and lives in Carmi, Ill. He thinks of the commute as his quiet time.

"I plan recipes and menus in my head," he said. "It's a nice, peaceful drive. It helps me get wound up on the way in and ready to go when I get to work, and it helps me unwind on the way home."

The recipe he shares is one he believes to be original.

"I winged this off a pecan-dressing stuffed chicken breast we did at The Red Geranium," he said. "I'm not saying no one has ever done this before, just that, as far as I know, it's one I've thrown together.

"We thought it would be good this time of year."

Sweet Potato-Pecan Stuffed Chicken Breast with Cranberry Cream Sauce

Ingredients:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

2 large sweet potatoes

2 ounces of chopped pecans

1/4 stick butter

6 ounces fresh cranberries

1 cup of granulated sugar

1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon, divided

1/2 cup of brown sugar

2 c heavy cream

4 6x6 sheets of puffed pastry (available frozen at groceries)

4 mint leaves for garnish, if desired

Directions:

For the sauce (which takes about 50 minutes including reduction), place cranberries in a heavy saucepan with two cups water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Add heavy cream and reduce by half (simmer). Strain sauce, add granulated sugar and 1/4 tablespoon cinnamon. Reserve and keep warm.

For the stuffing, peel and chop sweet potatoes; boil until tender. Drain off liquid, add butter, brown sugar, remaining cinnamon and pecans. Mix well. Thurman said it will be like a whipped sweet potato when done.

To assemble, divide sweet potato mixture into fourths, place on chicken breasts, fold the breast around the mixture, place stuffed breasts on puff pastry sheet and wrap. Thurman advises following directions on the puff pastry package, and said the pastry will have to be stretched a bit.

Place in a greased casserole dish and bake about 25 minutes at 375 degrees, or to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.

Place on serving dish, spoon sauce over.

Thurman said he serves sugar snap peas or green beans with the stuffed chicken.

Now I'm hungry! ;)

Ellie