PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson Co. Marine severely wounded in Iraq

thedrifter
11-30-06, 06:53 PM
Jefferson Co. Marine severely wounded in Iraq
Cpl. Bradley Walker was in Iraq about two months before he was wounded.

November 30, 2006

By TIM MILLER
6 News Anchor/Reporter

JEFFERSON COUNTY (WATE) -- A Jefferson County Marine is hospitalized with severe wounds he suffered in the war in Iraq.

Cpl. Bradley Walker, a veteran reserve Marine, was driving a Humvee in Haditha, Iraq Monday when it hit an improvised explosive device. Both of his legs had to be amputated at the knees.

Three other Marines in the Humvee were also injured in the attack.

Cpl. Walker volunteered to go to Iraq. He was there about two months before he was wounded.

He's in Germany Thursday waiting for a flight to Bethesda Naval Hospital in Washington, D.C. That's where he'll continue to recuperate.

The Marine's father, Charles Walker, says he and his other son, Ivan, are devastated by the incident but thankful Bradley is alive.

Charles described his first phone call to his son after he was wounded. "I talked for just a few minutes and I told him that we loved him and to hang tough and me and Ivan would be there with him to see him and be with him just as soon as we could make arrangements."

Charles and his son expect to be flown to Washington Friday by the military to see Bradley.

He says Bradley is on a ventilator. He had surgery on his pelvis and to remove his spleen.

Ellie