Forum Owner <br />
<br />
Special Report: Countering New Dangers <br />
ARTICLE 04 <br />
http://www.sftt.org/dwa/2003/1/15/4.html <br />
http://www.sftt.org/dwa/2003/1/15/4.html <br />

GyG1345
01-26-03, 03:16 PM
If this is straight scoop? It's a helluva way to get things done!

Get it on the Internet, and hope the **** flows down to your level quick enough--but....who knows what to believe anymore.

DickG

GyG1345
01-26-03, 03:19 PM
Matter of fact--I recall seeing Col hackworth--I think it was--on TV the last few days w/a story like this.

DickG

wrbones
01-26-03, 03:30 PM
Sent it to everyone in my address book, so some of you are gonna see that twice!

GyG1345
01-26-03, 03:33 PM
Good!!!
The Internet--e-mail/Messageboards, etc. are really something!

I am always amazed at how my own e-mail comes back to me--and from whom!

DickG

wrbones
01-27-03, 02:25 AM
IIP Home | Africa Issues Tuesday 14 January 2003

U.S. War Against Terrorism Waged From Shipboard in Horn of Africa

General Sattler's shipboard briefing stresses coalition effort

By Susan Ellis
Washington File Staff Writer

Washington -- On board the USS Mount Whitney off the coast of Djibouti, Marine Corps Major General John Sattler said that the ongoing war against terrorism will be an extended war but one which will be won with the assistance of the coalition partners. "We will press the fight at every turn as long as it takes; and with the help of our coalition partners, we will win this fight," he said.

Speaking live via telephone from the Red Sea January 10, Sattler, commander of the Combined Joint Task Force Horn of Africa, gave the Pentagon news media an overview of the task force's plans and efforts in the region. The coalition naval flotilla - designated CTF-150 -- is made up of French, Spanish, German, British and U.S. warships that patrol the Red Sea, the Gulf of Aden and Indian Ocean areas around the Horn of Africa.

Sattler and his staff have visited all the sovereign nations in the region, with the exception of Somalia, "meeting heads of state in Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea and Ethiopia," and also coalition military leaders. Later will come Sudan and Kenya. He said the first in a planned series of exercises and operations between CJTF Horn of Africa and the CTF-150 maritime forces has just been completed.

Sattler's staff of about 400 people on board the USS Mount Whitney, plus 900 personnel at Camp Lemonier in Djibouti and a small liaison group in other parts of the region, "have the capability and will act upon credible intelligence to attack and destroy and capture terrorists and their support networks," Sattler said. Their job is to collect information and turn it into "actionable intelligence." What "action" they take depends on the target. One possible scenario could involve a military attack-and-destroy mission "if we couldn't arrest (the terrorists) to bring them to justice," he allowed.

"Our mission was very broad -- to track transnational terrorism across the Horn of Africa, going from Yemen, across the Gulf of Aden and then through the entire Horn," Sattler said. "We do have some areas that we're concentrating on -- a couple of the border areas, some of the coastline areas. We're taking not a broad casting of the net approach, but we're honing in on certain areas. The porous border with Somalia (is) one of the areas we're taking a very hard look at; as well as the coastlines coming across the Gulf of Aden."

He would not discuss any intelligence that has been gathered and any possible response, but said, "quite a bit of intelligence has come in and has been shared" among the coalition partners and other appropriate groups. "Let's just say that we are developing an intelligence network which is really critical in a fight against terrorism; and it's becoming more refined every day . . .We need to be patient because we need to be absolutely correct when, in fact, we come forward and identify a particular location as a training site or camp harboring terrorists. The good news is that defeating the terrorists is the ultimate goal."

Secondarily, he said, "we feel very confident that by breathing down their neck; by looking at them through multiple intelligence sources...that we're in fact disrupting them and keeping them off balance so that we can go to that next phase, which is defeat and bringing them to justice."

He emphasized that this is not a unilateral effort of the United States, saying, "Many of these countries have very capable armed forces and very capable internal security mechanisms. They can certainly prosecute many of these terrorism targets on their own. And our role in that would be to assist them with intelligence and information and, if they so request, possible training and even some equipment over the period of time here."

The third part of their mission, Sattler said, "is to enhance long-term stability in the region." Mentioning the recent drought and widespread famine in the Horn, he said his group will assist both government agencies and non-governmental organizations "to go in and enhance the quality of life and shore up where we're asked to." This would include civil-military operations such as road building, building schools and humanitarian assistance, he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This site is produced and maintained by the U.S. Department of State's Office of International Information Programs (usinfo.state.gov). Links to other Internet sites should not be construed as an endorsement of the views contained therein.

wrbones
01-27-03, 03:07 AM
Last years Marine Corps birthday. Camp Lejeune. Should be able to find a bio on the USMC Homepage. I can't seem to access it fer some reason.

wrbones
01-27-03, 03:15 AM
http://defendamerica.mil/awt/aug2002/awt080102a.html

wrbones
01-27-03, 03:18 AM
Mon,February,19,2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All nuts and a bunch of wimps

On the afternoon of February 8, Lt. General Earl Hailston, commander of the US Marine Corps in Okinawa, went to the prefectural offices to apologize to the Governor of Okinawa Prefectural Assembly chairman Kokichi Iramina, in the wake of the revelation of the content of a private email.

As well as handing over a letter, the general said, "I have no excuse and used inappropriate language to express my views." He was referring to the local response to crime committed by US service members and how politicians reacted to that response.

Gov. Inamine responded, "I recognize you have come here to apologize. There is a serious lack of consideration and understanding on the part of the US forces here as to the historical background, and the cumulative effect of Okinawan suffering over the last 56 years of our history.

"I deeply regret that you do not appreciate that background. As the representative of the US forces here, the wording that you choose should be very carefully considered."

Hailston replied by saying, "I greatly respect you, your vice governors, the Mayor of Kin and the members of the prefectural assembly. I sincerely hope that my apology will be accepted by the people of Okinawa."

Inamine commented on the email and the criticisms in it. "The Prefectural Government and the Prefectural Assembly are two different bodies, so there is no justification in assuming that their positions are always coordinated. Okinawans have been standing on a magma dome for 56 years, and it is quite natural that if a new crime is committed, there should be a marked reaction. Pressure is being exerted on our society by the military bases," he said.

Iramina commented, "I would like to respect your visit to us to express your regrets. The assembly is a body that reflects our people's opinions. I want you to understand that that is our function."

During the meeting, the governor did not allow his eyes to meet those of the general. The general repeatedly expressed his respect in what was an extremely tense atmosphere.

While the general was still trying to explain himself, and following Mr Iramina's remarks, the governor got up and left without allowing the general to finish what he wanted to say. The governor had arrived late at the meeting.

There is no information as to who broke into the email system or how it was done. (Feb 9 am ed.)

See the column below right for the text of the email.

― ― ― ― ―

Email indiscretion

What follows is a transcript of the email which led to the row.

Original Message: From Hailston LtGen Earl B

Sent Tuesday, January 23, 2001 12:27 PM

Subject FW This Weekend

Commanders and Acting Commanders

I tell you that this latest incident in Kin has been blown out of proportion. The anti-base reformists have been given the freedom to attack with no cover or counter remarks by any of the locals who falsely claim to be our friends. This situation went from the Governor, both Vice Governors, Mayor Yoshida, and a Diet Member separately telling me in person last week that "while this is bad we understand and appreciate your efforts" to all of them standing idly by as the OPG Assembly passed an inflammatory and damaging Resolution. I think they are all nuts and a bunch of wimps. I have enjoyed telling them so. Still the damage is done. Involved leadership can help this situation. We bought into this organization 24x7.* Fire up those closet NCOs.† Kick the lieutenants and captains in the butt. They are responsible too. Stop this flood of underserved discredit that has our Marine Corps decks awash. The Commandants deserves all this and more from us. Do something and keep doing it. Stop those 5%'ers. ‡

more: http://www.cosmos.ne.jp/~ryunosuk/us/no8.html

wrbones
01-27-03, 03:24 AM
Stars and Stripes
Letters to the editor
July 22-28, 2001
Pacific edition

A record of good conduct
In response to 鄭nother American outrage on Okinawa, by Sheila K. Johnson, commentary, July 12: Last year, Americans on Okinawa, both military and civilian, were involved in 53 of the 6,226 crimes committed. This total includes traffic accidents and speeding violations.

Americans, approximately 4 percent of the population on Okinawa, account for less than 1 percent of crimes. To put this into perspective, in San Diego, 36 crimes are committed per 1,000 people, while on Okinawa, 1 crime is committed per 1,000 U.S. citizens.

Ms. Johnson is wrong in saying that U.S. military leaders delayed handing over the suspect in the alleged rape incident. The current Status of Forces Agreement requires the U.S. military to turn over to Japanese authorities any suspect who has been indicted. In this case, the suspect was turned over to authorities prior to his indictment. The U.S. military leaders actions on Okinawa simply reflect their duty to protect all Americans individual rights within U.S. law and international agreements.

Lt. Gen. Earl B. Hailston痴 Marines have maintained an exceptional record of discipline and conduct and have the lowest misconduct rate among all comparable Marine Corps populations. Americans can be proud of the service and sacrifices being performed on their behalf by all uniformed and civilian personnel who serve on Okinawa. We are now, and will continue to be, good neighbors and custodians for peace in the region, just as we are the world over.

Gen. James L. Jones
Commandant, Marine Corps