View Full Version : WWII Marines honored

thedrifter
11-30-06, 07:55 AM
WWII Marines honored

Veterans of Pacific campaign receive Victory Medal
By Lindsay Moore
Contact
November 29, 2006

More than 683,000 veterans in the U.S. and Puerto Rico died in 2005, according to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

"That's why we want to give all the honor we can to these guys when we could," George King, past commandant of the Marine Corps League, said.

The Marine Corps League recently held an awards program to honor nine members of the Walter Singleton Detachment with the United States Asiatic Pacific Victory Commemorative Medal.

"I feel like this is a long-overdue honor," King said.

Between 1941 and 1945, an estimated 87,000 Marines were either killed or wounded during the Pacific Island Campaigns against the Imperial Japanese forces, Michael Zingale told the crowd after receiving his medal.

"And by the grace of God we're still alive," Zingale said.

Only six of the nine Marines, Frank Glankler, Charlie Henry, Malcom Keep, Robert Landress, John Winsler and Zingale, were on hand to receive their medals from Maj. Gen. Albert C. Harvey.

For these Marines receiving a medal more than half a century after their service invoked strong emotions.

"It's something special to be recognized after 65 years," Henry said. "It's deeply appreciated."

"It means a whole lot. It's the nicest thing that's ever happen to me," Winsler said.

"It's very gratifying. It's nice to get recognized when it seems like everyone forgot," Keep said.

Posthumous awards were presented to Becky Pearce, the only daughter of Pope Taliaferro, and to Julia Fisher, the wife of Ashley "Bill" Fisher.

Taliaferro died in 2005 while Fisher died in February.

Receiving Taliaferro's award moved Pearce to tears.

"It's such an honor. He was my hero. He was a real role model for the whole family," Pearce said.

For Fisher's wife, Julia, words could hardly explain what the medal meant to her.

"Well, it means that the work that the Marines have done has not been forgotten."

Ellie