PDA

View Full Version : parents

future_recon
01-26-03, 01:29 PM
how does everyone's parents feel about your choice of going into the corps? how many are enlisting right after high school?

:marine:

wrbones
01-26-03, 03:04 PM
OK. Read the forum yer in! Most of these folks have already posted those types of threads!

Can you kids read! Or is it only a few of ya ever learned how!

Come on here! Everything you need to know has already been posted!

Like I say, there's been a couple other threads just lately that address your question.

READ!

It ain't just you kid, I've seen it over and over and over.

It gets kinda aggravating after awhile.

firstsgtmike
01-31-03, 01:14 AM
future_recon

I agree with Bones. However I was searching around, found this, and thought it would be appropriate.

To Mrs. Kiera J Rustay of Suffolk, VA:

Ma'am, The hardest thing I ever did, as a 17yr. old kid, was look out the back window of that bus as I left AFEES, Columbus Ohio as my mother was watching me leave. She said the hardest thing she ever did was to open that box of personal belongings that you send home from boot camp incoming processing.

Wait until you see your new Marine standing tall in his uniform and realize that he is now a MAN. (Try to forgive him when he sits down to dinner and asks for the F***ing butter.)

Trust me you will never regret the look on his face when he knows he has made his parents proud as I and so many before us have done.

Once he has earned that title, United States Marine, he has joined the best brotherhood in the world and will never, as long as he lives, lack companionship again.

Semper FI
SSgt. Moore,J.C. 2389599
University of MCRD San Diego, 1967-1977

marinemom
01-31-03, 06:07 AM
I have to agree with you Bones, that there is information and threads posted on this.

But, as a parent, let me say this to the young man - most parents want their children to be better than others, to achieve to their fullest potential, to contribute to society and to leave thier mark in the world.

To parents of Marines - it's a given that it will happen - our children are the best of the best.

That answer your question, young man?

Snafu
01-31-03, 10:36 AM
Mom, God Love Ya, Ya aint changed a bit.......

USMCFOREVER
02-10-03, 09:13 PM
...I was afraid to tell my mom I wanted to join. At first she was very supportive, till 9/11 anyway. Now she's been trying to talk me out of it ever since. She just doesnt understand how much I want the title Marine and that there is nothing anyone can do or say to change my mind.

wrbones
02-10-03, 09:24 PM
I would say something about yer username, but I'm gonna address something else here.

As long as you've done yer research and know what yer gettin yerself into, then be firm, but don't burn any bridges behind ya. Family is important. Talk it out, calmly, quietly and be knowledgeable w/o being arrogant or pushy about it.

There has been info posted here for families of recruits. There might be something to clue you in on how to approach the converssation with yer family.

In additon, see if she will allow yer local recruiter to come over fer a visit after you have apprised him of the situation.

Now, about yer name....

I like yer entusiasm, but sooner or later one of these Marines is gonna give you hell over it 'cause yer not, as yet, a Marine.

The title is earned. Once earned you will feel much the same way as we do, and you will understand why folks are so adamant about non-Marines using the title in a username, however respectfully.

Sooner or later you'll get 'fragged' over it.

Chevy2233
02-11-03, 11:44 PM
My Buddy's dad was in the Marine Corps and was a machine gunner, then he did sea duty. He says he loved it. He has support for me, but when his son tried to join he threw a fit and told the recruiters not to speek to him. Maybe he doesn't think his son can handle it. I don't know. I've been pondering it for quite some time though.

wrbones
02-11-03, 11:50 PM
Interesting story Chevy.

Is there a point?

Chevy2233
02-12-03, 12:09 AM
No, just thought I'd share the story since this thread had to do with parents.

wrbones
02-12-03, 12:13 AM
Good place yo unload, but I thought ya might have a point or a question tied in there somewhere.

Chevy2233
02-12-03, 12:16 AM
Well, I don't know if you have a son or not, but if you do, or if you could have, would you want him to join the Marine Corps?

wrbones
02-12-03, 12:32 AM
My boy is 24 and working on his Master's Degree. If he wants to join the Marine Corps, that is his decision. I would be proud if he did. Proud of him for having done it.

Our reason's are are own and the accomplishment is ours, alone. The honor is shared with our Brothers.

Personal responsibility seems to be at the core of your question. We are each responsible as individuals for the decisions we make as adults. Some decisions require more forethought and knowledge. When making some decisions it is good to get opinions from others, but eventually, when we make any decision, whether it is to carry a hot cup of coffee between our legs when we leave the drive thru, to joining the Marine Corps to whatever the decision is, we are ultimately responsible for our own decisions. You are the one who will pay whatever price or reap whatever reward for your decision. We must consider others at all times, for our actions often affect those around us, but we bear responsibility for our decisions.

What have you decided?

MarineBratt
02-12-03, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by wrbones
OK. Read the forum yer in! Most of these folks have already posted those types of threads!

Can you kids read! Or is it only a few of ya ever learned how!

Come on here! Everything you need to know has already been posted!

Like I say, there's been a couple other threads just lately that address your question.

READ!

It ain't just you kid, I've seen it over and over and over.

It gets kinda aggravating after awhile. Get a grip! Some of us are new here and don't know how threads work. You could be a little nicer and just explain where to look, thanks

wrbones
02-12-03, 02:08 AM
I do explain dear. Look around. POOL-ee Hall and the Mentor forums. Good place to start.

Some folks post this stuff two or three times on two or three different threads without lookin around first or listenin the first time. Kinda like Future recon, Rogue and CLash and a couple others have done lately. That's what I came down on him so hard. He didn't listen on the other threads he posted this on.

Pay attention. I'm one who's doin' a lot more than most to help you folks around here. If I tell ya somethin', please listen the first time.

If ya think those words are hard, you ain't ready for the Marine Corps. Reality is gonna get ya! ;)

wrbones
02-12-03, 02:10 AM
In addition, if you want a question answered, ya might ask nice the first time maybe. ;) Click the forums tab at the top of the homepage, scroll down untill you see POOL-ee Hall and Mentor forum. Everything you need to know is there.

wrbones
02-12-03, 02:20 AM
Just so you know, kid. I'm the one that'll stay up all night with ya when you need someone who'll listen. I'll be the first to help ya out when ya ask an intelligent question and I'll spend hours tryin to find the answer for ya if I don't know it. I'm here to do what I can to help.

Ask around. You'll see.

USMC-FO
02-12-03, 05:03 AM
For all you youngsters, and even some older Marines, that want to read a good book on this very topic; pick up a book titled "KEEPING FAITH". Published a few months ago by John and Frank Schaeffer. It is a quick and good read on how non military parent(s) reacted when their son--John Schaeffer--bypassed college and joined the Corps.

USMCFOREVER
02-12-03, 07:24 AM
Ok wrbones, I'll change my user name as soon as I get home, I cant log into my email from school or I'd do it now. :(

wrbones
02-12-03, 07:26 AM
NP. Kiddo. It's just that sooner or later someone's gonna be in yer face about it. Didn't want ya catchin hell is all.

ktriplett
02-12-03, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by MarineBratt
Get a grip! Some of us are new here and don't know how threads work. You could be a little nicer and just explain where to look, thanks

Nicer? What the hell? He was being nice! You ought to take a look around, everything is explained somewhere. When the same issue has to be explained over and over, it gets a little old. This is a MARINE community afterall, not a poolee or wannabe community. We're the guests here and the initiative should be upon us to learn the rules and customs of the board, and to READ the previous posts. Learn! This is no game.

wrbones: I try to keep these poolees and wannabes in line for you guys, but sometimes one will slip through...

02-12-03, 02:00 PM
Ok wrbones, changed my name like I said. Is there anyway I can delete my other account so I can use the email on that one?

(was USMCFOREVER)

RoboRobinson17
02-12-03, 10:50 PM
MarineBRATT - - -

From what this wannabe reads, "nice" is what gets people killed. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have to explain to a buddys' mother that her son got killed becuase I wanted to be "nice". This ain't the cash register at McDonalds. Listen up the first time, it's thier site; not ours.

wrbones
02-12-03, 10:57 PM
Just so you kids know, Avatar wasn't ignored.

There were a few PM's exchanged gettin' him the info he needed.

RoboRobinson17
02-12-03, 11:01 PM
My parents weren't to thrilled. My old man was a Marine for eight years, stationed mostly in 29 Palms and Bridgeport. When I told them I wanted to join, my mom walked away, and my dad tried to talk me out of it (I don't know if it was fear, or the brain injury speaking). They eventually gave thier blessing, and they are supportive. I think they are as excited as I am now that the day is drawing close. Everynight when I call my parents, my dad asks me what I am doing to prepare for Boot Camp. After I tell him, even if it was more than the day before, he still says "Not good enough". He pushes me; he is my driving force. I want to prove that I can make it, not only to him; but to myself.

Yours in Intensity,

Joe

leroy8541
02-15-03, 10:12 AM
My son keeps telling me he is going to be a marine, I guess I am to blame for this attitude he has gotten. As his father and from being on the front lines of a conflict I have to admit I am a bit worried about it, on the other hand If I were to see him wearing a set of dress blues I would probably burst into tears from pride!