PDA

View Full Version : NJ governor makes surprise visit to NJ troops

thedrifter
11-29-06, 01:38 PM
NJ governor makes surprise visit to NJ troops

By TOM HESTER Jr.
The Associated Press

TRENTON, N.J. - New Jersey Gov. Jon S. Corzine on Wednesday completed a surprise visit to New Jersey troops in Kuwait and Iraq and lauded their work but also decried what he said was a "pretty threatening strategic environment" that doesn't lend hope to quickly withdrawing soldiers and Marines.

"There is a very serious deterioration of security conditions," Corzine said during a conference call with reporters Wednesday afternoon from Kuwait City. The Democrat, who as a U.S. senator voted against the war in Iraq, has visited that country twice before.

After receiving classified briefings at the Pentagon, Corzine arrived Tuesday in Kuwait, where he ate lunch with 81 New Jersey Army National Guard soldiers. He also was briefed by the U.S. Army Central Command and met with Gen. George Casey, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, and Zalmay Khalilizad, the U.S. ambassador to Iraq.

On Wednesday, Corzine traveled to Iraq to visit with soldiers from the New Jersey Army National Guard's 250th Brigade Support Battalion in Baghdad. He also toured Tikrit, where he discussed reconstruction with Iraqi officials.

"The level of professionalism, commitment and effort of our troops, including by the way New Jersey National Guard troops, is extraordinary," Corzine said. "It's pretty uplifting."

But Corzine said he was surprised to find such perilous conditions.

"I probably came here believing that we were in a better position than we are," he said. "I never thought we were in a great position, but it is significantly more unstable than I would have thought."

Citing what he described as obvious involvement by Iran and terrorist groups in promoting violence and waiting to fill any vacuum left by a U.S. withdrawal, Corzine said pulling troops out of Iraq doesn't seem like an option.

Rather, he said more troops and significantly more help from Iraqi forces and police are needed.

"I think the challenges are much more ahead of us," Corzine said.

Corzine traveled to Iraq in December 2003 and May 2005 while in the Senate. He said his movement was much more restricted this time.

"It's been a deterioration of security conditions that are pretty serious and tangible," Corzine said.

The governor said New Jersey Guard members in Iraq are mainly serving logistical and support roles with limited duty outside secure areas.

"No one is safe, but I think they're relatively secure positions," he said.

He said he will return to New Jersey on Saturday, but declined to detail where else he might visit, citing Defense Department restrictions.

Corzine's office said there are 5,325 New Jersey-based troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, including 351 members of the New Jersey Army and Air national guards. The governor said he asked when more New Jersey Guard members might be deployed but didn't get an answer, and said more will likely be sent.

"I would expect that at some point some element of the Guard might be called," he said.

Corzine was joined by New York Gov. George Pataki, Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman and Oregon Gov. Ted Kulongoski. He said he didn't know why he was invited to go by the Defense Department, but speculated it could because previous requests to visit were denied and because he had served on the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Lt. Col. James Garcia of the state Military and Veterans' Affairs Department said about 80 people with ties to New Jersey have been killed in the conflicts, including Michael A. Schwarz, a 20-year-old Marine lance corporal from Carlstadt who died Monday in Iraq.

New Jersey National Guard Maj. Gen. Glenn K. Rieth said Corzine held an awards ceremony with New Jersey soldiers and presented them with Purple Heart and combat awards.

"They were absolutely thrilled with the governor's visit," Rieth said from Trenton. "It meant a great deal to them."

November 29, 2006 1:51 PM

Ellie