PDA

View Full Version : Poolee Guides

sams6
11-29-06, 12:33 PM
I am the Guide at my Recuiting Station. I have been having a blast with it, but seeing is how I am the first female guide that the RSS has had, i feel that sometimes i am not respected as much as I should be, and i dont want to act like a ***** all the time to my other poolee's but sometimes i have to. I wonder how i should change the way I am doing things to get some more respect.:flag:

Semper Fi

Sam

poolie13
11-29-06, 01:57 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I'm the Poolee guide at my RSS and first off I would like to say it is awsome to be the guide. 2nd- if your going to change just be more of a *****! Sometimes the only way to get to my Poolees is to push them a bit! But I got to remember that I'm a Poolee too, just the leader of the group. I think it's awsome that you are a female guide. It's hard to find females to join. Keep up the hard work.... It will pay off in the end. </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

devildoghopeful
11-29-06, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure if this will help but here goes:

I'm a Sergeant Major in my schools Combined Cadet Force (like a British version of JROTC as far as I'm aware). I've been given the post of Head of Training Section which basically means that all new cadets that enter the organisation (about 70 each year) are directly under my command (as well as a few Training Section NCOs). Having to deal every year with a new batch of bratty 13 year olds has really helped my leadership, confidence etc. but most importantly, I feel that I can relate to people better and find out how to make them conform to what is expected of them in the CCF. In effect, I'm a Drill Instructor (although I know ain't got nothing on the USMC Drill Instructors).

Now I understand that my 13 year olds are probably pretty different to your 17+ year old poolees, but I find the most important thing is to lead by example. To expect your poolies to live up to a certain standard, you most definately have to live up to that standard and even surpass it (I have no doubt that you do - you wouldn't have been made Guide if you didn't, right?).
Second thing, and this diverts from the traditional Marine Corps boot camp way (those Poolies aren't in bootcamp yet though), is to first try to make them understand why they are doing whatever they are failing to do properly, and why it is important that they succeed.
If this fails, then being a ***** might be just the thing to get their a$$ in gear.
In the CCF, if THAT fails (which it rarely does), we can give physical punisments such as push-ups or if there are no officers around, put them in various stress positions until they agree to make an effort (thats only for the real a******s though).

Again, I hope this helped. Maybe if you could provide a specific example of the problem itself, it might become clearer as to what possible solutions there are.

If anyone is interested in the CCF, I try to write a blog after every camp for myself and fellow Seniors who are involved, please feel free to read (only if you're bored and have a lot of time on your hands - I tend to go into unneccesary detail).

http://bermsccfstuff.blogspot.com/

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-29-06, 04:02 PM
I don't know what the responsibilities of a guide would be as a poolee, so I don't know what to tell you. But, congrats to both of you for being given the position.

chrisnica
11-29-06, 04:55 PM
Hey, you're the guide for a reason right...and you will hear that when you get to the Island... if you are the guide, than you earned it, it's not just given to you... don't baby the rest of the poolees to get them to respect you, but you can always lead by example and they will follow... congrats devil-pup!

sams6
11-29-06, 08:59 PM
Hey thanks! yea its kinda complicated though b/c we have like another RSS that is with us but we only see them on all hand saturdays and they are the ones that dont listen and their recruiter sticks up for them even if they are wrong...like if i yell at them he tells me i need to be nicer, but my recruiter tells me to be harder...idk but im just gonna keep pushing them to the best of my ability! But i hope it didnt sound like i was complaining, i was just trying to stick up for myself when i felt disrespected. But thanks once again.

Semper Fi

Sam

poolie13
11-29-06, 09:03 PM
Thanks all of you! Iv'e worked so hard to becoming the guide for my fellow Poolees. I'm hoping that being a guide for my RSS will help give me the leadership skills I will need at bootcamp. It is alot of hard work, I have to maintain being physicaly fit and I have to "order" other Poolees what they need to be doing. Another task is to make sure everyone is 10/4 between Pool functions. Like I said before I think it's awsome that their is a female guide.
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 206326" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Echo_Four_Bravo</TD><TD class=alt2>I don't know what the responsibilities of a guide would be as a poolee, so I don't know what to tell you. But, congrats to both of you for being given the position.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

My responsibilities are to: *lead fellow Poolees in exercise
*lead them in a march or run
*Keep them out of trouble
*Calling them and up date them about upcoming events
*Be a fine example of a Poolee
*Always being physicaly fit
*Being a leader and some they can depend on

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-29-06, 09:04 PM
Sams6, Below are the rules of the forum. Rule number 8 is in bold, you need to read it.

Welcome aboard Leatherneck.com, its important that you be advised that we have rules here that will best help you prepare to enter one of the two MCRD's. Your failure to comply with any of them will get you in trouble.

Rule One you are not a Marine and this is a Marine site therefore you have no rights and are merely a guest that we wish to help achieve your goal!

Rule Two before you post a thread make darn sure that you have researched the forums so that you are not embarrassed by the fact it was asked a week ago!

Rule Three when using the words Marine or Corps on this site they will be capitalized at all times!

Rule Four make sure that you have a completed profile less than that is unsat and will get you banned for a period up to and including permanently!

Rule Five be courteous at all times with your peers and especially with Marines, if you verbally attack someone you will be dealt with severely and disrespect to a Marine will not be tolerated!

Rule Six never use the words Semper Fi, Semper Fidelis or OORAH you do not rate that here until you have earned the title of United States Marine!

Rule Seven the forums are not social a chatroom if you want to speak to a peer in that way do it on PM or by email or in the chatroom!

Rule Eight when you post make sure that it looks like you are submitting it to your english teacher for their determination whether you pass or fail!

Rule Nine make sure when you post a thread its in the proper forum, you do not rate to post in a Marine forum at any time prior to earning the title. Read the headings over the recruit forums for a guide!

Rule Ten there will no political threads or posts of any kind in the recruit forums, you are here to concentrate on the yellow foot steps not politics!

Rule Eleven be ready and flexible to accept any and all new rules and criticism at all times. Use your time here to prepare yourself for the greatest challenge you will ever face!

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-29-06, 09:07 PM
My responsibilities are to: *lead fellow Poolees in exercise
*lead them in a march or run
*Keep them out of trouble
*Calling them and up date them about upcoming events
*Be a fine example of a Poolee
*Always being physicaly fit
*Being a leader and some they can depend on

I don't see what part of that description would have you yelling at another poolee. It seems to me it is a time to show how you can lead your peers, not to show you can use a billet to force people to do things.

Wolfman07
11-29-06, 10:01 PM
Leadership positions over poolees can be very hard at times. I have been appointed a squad leader at my RSS and I feel that the best way to lead my peers is to lead by example. I push myself past my limits and help other poolees push themselves too. When someone gets out of line I talk to them, poolee to poolee, and tell them what they did wrong so it can corrected. If they dont listen to me the recruiters usually straighten them out. If someone is being a real moron and wont take direction from you then mention it to the recruiters and they should ethier give you guidance on the situation or handle it themselves. I dont often have problems because many of the poolees I "lead" are friends of mine outside of the recruiters office.

sams6
11-29-06, 10:02 PM
I really don't feel that I am always trying to yell at my fellow poolee's, it is just sometimes I need to be stern with them because if there is no recruiter around it is like I am speaking for one of them (well that is what I am told by them). I just feel that sometimes I need show them that I cannot be walked all over. So I am just trying to do as ordered. But I really appreciate all of the advice that I have been recieveing, it is helping out a lot for out next PT.

Semper Fi

Sam

devildoghopeful
11-30-06, 08:44 AM
Sound's like you're doing everything fine, just keep consistent and be firm with them like you have described.

Sorry to bring this up, but if you look at rule six, on the Poolie/wannabe rules that Echo Four Bravo kindly posted for you...

USMCVet1992
11-30-06, 10:09 AM
For those that have earned the position of leadership, congrats. I have been in many leadership roles myself and fully realize the responsibility involved. I returned from New Orleans in April where I was a Security Contractor and the Team Leader of a PSD Team. My Team and I spent many months down there after Katrina. When you are in a leadership role, the most important thing to remember is that you have to EARN the respect of those whom you lead. You can yell and be the harda** as much as you want, if you have not earned that respect, they will not follow you, they will just go where they are told. You can be firm without being arrogant. Irregardless of how you handle things, you will always find at least one who is not happy with how you do things. Just remember to be a LEADER, and not just someone who tries to shout orders and gain compliance through intimidation. Never ask a Team Memeber to do something you have never done or are not willing to do yourself. Lead by example.

devildoghopeful
12-01-06, 02:32 AM
Hear hear. Well said sir!