PDA

View Full Version : Commandant calls for new PT uniform

thedrifter
11-28-06, 07:57 AM
November 27, 2006
Commandant calls for new PT uniform

By John Hoellwarth
Staff writer

The new commandant has called for a new physical-training uniform for all Marines, saying he wants leathernecks to look more squared away in their exercise clothes, according to a Corps spokesman.

Before the Thanksgiving holiday, Commandant Gen. James Conway directed officials with Marine Corps Systems Command in Quantico, Va., to help develop the new uniform. SysCom’s infantry combat equipment branch “is currently working on the new PT gear under the commandant’s guidance,” said SysCom spokesman Capt. Jeff Landis.

Landis said a new PT uniform “has already been in the works since about two years ago, when some prototype designs were created but never came to fruition.”

He said manufacturers have already submitted proposals to SysCom for the next generation of PT gear and that SysCom’s next move will be to solicit feedback from Marines in the fleet.

The commandant did not set a deadline for fielding the new gear, Landis said.

Right now, Marines wear “green-on-green” PT gear — a green cotton T-shirt and green shorts. On cold days, Marines typically wear green sweat pants.

Soldiers wear a gray T-shirt and black shorts, both of which feature “ARMY” written in reflective letters.

What would you change about the physical-training uniform? Should it be more like the Army's?

Ellie

drumcorpssnare
11-28-06, 09:21 AM
My vote would be for a yellow t-shirt with scarlet Marine Corps emblem on the front, and block letters USMC on the back, and red shorts/sweatpants with yellow Marine Corps emblem at thetop of the right thigh.

SEMPER FI:usmc:
drumcorpssnare

SuNmAN
11-28-06, 09:27 AM
yellow is such an ugly color though...lol

SuNmAN
11-28-06, 09:28 AM
make the shorts longer...short shorts are ridiculous too they're like for girls

outlaw3179
11-28-06, 10:12 AM
not only that...morning wood in those sucks. Id do black shorts/windpants and dark green t-shirt or sweatshirt.

Sgt Leprechaun
11-28-06, 10:47 AM
Outlaw, I like that idea! Maybe with some kind of logo or some such on it, like the cops have on the reverse (say, an EGA or some such).

SkilletsUSMC
11-28-06, 10:47 AM
I think its a good idea, but I can see it turning into one more excuse not to PT... Thats the beauty of boots and utes:D

Sgt Leprechaun
11-28-06, 10:50 AM
Oh yeah! Of course...that used to be 'officially discouraged', due to the possibility of hurting little ankles and whatnot... is that still the case?

Jon Taylor
11-28-06, 10:58 AM
I WILL NEVER DEVIATE FROM MY BELOVED SILKIES! (two sizes too small, of course) SEMPER FI VISIBLE WEINER VEINS!

SkilletsUSMC
11-28-06, 11:04 AM
Oh yeah! Of course...that used to be 'officially discouraged', due to the possibility of hurting little ankles and whatnot... is that still the case?

Every once and a while you hear stuff about "no boots and utes" or no "running the hills". We do it all the time no matter what anyone says. When in combat will you put on some PT shoes, and run 3+ miles in a formation? Combat soccer (Smear the queer in flak and kevlar) is another game we like that is "not allowed" The most realistic PT I can think of is bound and overwatch drills in a full combat load for about an hour.

SkilletsUSMC
11-28-06, 11:05 AM
I WILL NEVER DEVIATE FROM MY BELOVED SILKIES! (two sizes too small, of course) SEMPER FI VISIBLE WEINER VEINS!

:sick:

FistFu68
11-28-06, 01:36 PM
:usmc: BLACK & GOLD~WOULD BE BOLD~OOHRAH!!!:usmc:

SuNmAN
11-28-06, 02:30 PM

omg ew lol

kentmitchell
09-10-08, 03:08 PM
The yellow (gold) shirt and scarlet pants is old stuff. It was introduced in Oct. '56. We hated it then and I can bet the current Marines would hate it just as much.
Pate was Commandant, a REMF from the old WWII 1st MarDiv club. He also made swagger sticks mandatory.
When Gen David Shoup took over in '60 the swagger sticks and other wussification went out the door and we became REAL Marines again. Shoup got the Congressional at Tarawa so you can imagine what his focus was. All of us who served under Shoup in the 3rd MarDiv already knew what was coming. We loved him and were in awe of him.

Mikewebe
09-10-08, 03:54 PM
I agree with no more Ranger panties. But as for color I went through red shorts green shirt, stupid. Then green on green, we had no sweats. I think black shirts green shorts or vice versa would be best. The yellow shirt isn't bad if its like the one issued in Boot. Black and gold isn't a bad thought either

Mikewebe
09-10-08, 03:55 PM
And my time in the guard we wore black on black but we were a specialized unit, a LRSD

HurricaneRJ
09-10-08, 04:12 PM
My twin brother is LRS airborne. Swear jumping out of planes is where it's at.

I rather it stay the same. I won't lie, I wear skivies too short for my own good.

Alpha1Devildog
09-10-08, 04:21 PM
I'd like to see a maroon wind suit, something that breaths well, w/EGA emblem in gray or white, and perhaps a bigger EGA on the back. Top should be V-Neck, and ankles should have zipper for open/closed feature.

Could have same colored stripes down the sides. . .