PDA

View Full Version : Lawful Orders vs. Direct Orders

akclark
11-27-06, 11:23 PM
My Co. 1stSgt said something about the difference between a lawful order and a direct order. What is the difference? Also what are MCOs (PFTs, Uniforms, etc) considered?

Semper Fi,
Aaron Clark

Zulu 36
11-28-06, 06:11 AM
Technically there is no such thing as a "direct" order. Orders are either lawful or unlawful. The informal term "direct order" tends to mean an order given face-to-face from a person in authority to a subordinate. It has zero meaning under the UCMJ as the "direct order" still has to be lawful to have effect.

MCOs are presumed to be lawful orders or regulations.

Article 92—Failure to obey order or regulation

Text.

“Any person subject to this chapter who—

(1) violates or fails to obey any lawful general order or regulation;

(2) having knowledge of any other lawful order issued by a member of the armed forces, which it is his duty to obey, fails to obey the order; or

(3) is derelict in the performance of his duties; shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.”

Also:

Article 90—Assaulting or willfully disobeying superior commissioned officer

Text.

“Any person subject to this chapter who—

(1) strikes his superior commissioned officer or draws or lifts up any weapon or offers any violence against him while he is in the execution of his office; or

(2) willfully disobeys a lawful command of his superior commissioned officer; shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, and if the offense is committed at any other time, by such punishment, other than death, as a court-martial may direct.”

Also:

Article 91—Insubordinate conduct toward warrant officer, NCO, or PO

Text. “Any warrant officer or enlisted member who—

(1) strikes or assaults a warrant officer, non-commissioned officer, or petty officer, while that officer is in the execution of his office;

(2) willfully disobeys the lawful order of a warrant officer, noncommissioned officer, or petty officer; or

(3) treats with contempt or is disrespectful in language or deportment toward a warrant officer, noncommissioned officer, or petty officer while that officer is in the execution of his office; shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

Rioshy
10-17-07, 08:18 AM
Is there any further information that you could provide. I am in the Army and my sergeant asked me a very similar question but I can't find any information other than what is found in the UCMJ and that does not give a clear idea of the difference other than a direct order is one given driectly to the soldier and any order an NCO gives is lawful unless the order clearly isn't

benjaminwfludd
07-04-13, 06:50 AM
what should you do if your given two direct orders at once

Zulu 36
07-04-13, 07:00 AM
By whom? The same person? Or two separate people? In the presence of each other?

cAs
07-04-13, 08:19 AM
what should you do if your given two direct orders at once

You do both of them in order of importance or ask which one they want done first.

Master Yo
07-04-13, 01:07 PM
We were always told to follow the last order, first.

ChuckH
07-04-13, 02:14 PM
Always follow your last order first.

Rocky C
07-04-13, 04:37 PM
Direct Order vs. General Order

Direct orders, as opposed to General orders, are not necessarily written rules.

The Marine Corps has many written directives, operating procedures and laws which all Marines must comply with.

Direct orders as daily instructions must be based on higher orders and be lawful.

Apache
07-04-13, 06:13 PM
Too much thinking and processing.
We're you not trained to obey an order without question ?

If you disagree with said order-- complete mission and then question ?

REALY slim chance you will be given an illegal order---

benjaminwfludd
07-05-13, 09:05 AM
These were two separate orders by two separate Lt's.When I went to obey the first Lt. the second Lt and my Commanding officer at the time said i want you in my office now. so I obeyed the second order. I was told a day later i did not obey the 1st lt's order, and yes this was done in the presence of others . It actually happened in the barracks at lunch. Is there some article written about this that i can stand on.

benjaminwfludd
07-05-13, 09:56 AM
Well my mistake bad verbage , what i should have said is , was there and article i could have stand on. and yes No biggie I just always wondered did this affect my promotion or even my decision to stay in . Just a little something always been on my mind after so many years.