PDA

View Full Version : Would you want to be in Iraq with THIS Army guy watching your back?

Accord
11-27-06, 09:40 PM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/Accord32222/FATARMYSOLDIER2.jpg

When I see things like this it makes me so glad to know that when I do eventually go to Iraq, I will have United States Marines watching my back, and not that.

Soon2BeVIP
11-27-06, 09:49 PM
Haha so funny...but I won't be surprised if a group of Army soldiers jump you one day with all this tooling on them you do. It is funny though

LoCapitano
11-27-06, 10:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/locapitano/army-caveman.jpg

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-27-06, 10:24 PM
There will be times when it is a soldier watching your back. I don't know the particulars on the person's history, so I won't comment. I do know they the Army has height/weight standards, and that the person in that picture would not meet those standards. Since he is there, then I assume there is something we don't know.

Soon2BeVIP
11-27-06, 10:36 PM
I'm not really smart at all when it comes to USMC things yet, but isn't the caveman wearing at Marine Cami. I thought Marine ones have that more tiny square boxy look to them (I worded that weird, I know). I could be wrong, but I thought that's how it went. Maybe it is Army though, because it does have the Army symbol thing outside it. I'm confused. Help

ggyoung
11-27-06, 10:41 PM
accord======I had a Marine capt. who looked like the little short one. But by god he was all Marine. You could hit him as hard as you could in the "fat gut" and the only thing that would hurt was your hand. Looks are sometimes not what they seem.

Motorola07
11-27-06, 10:53 PM
I'm not really smart at all when it comes to USMC things yet, but isn't the caveman wearing at Marine Cami. I thought Marine ones have that more tiny square boxy look to them (I worded that weird, I know). I could be wrong, but I thought that's how it went. Maybe it is Army though, because it does have the Army symbol thing outside it. I'm confused. Help

No they got rid of the old camis and got the new digital looking one for. I believe all branches.. my broinlaw is in the army and he has that gear.

Barrette
11-27-06, 10:59 PM
There prob part of the reserves I don't know about the army but when I went to the Marines/Army reserve depot up in western MASS army reserves were running there PFT and I would say about 40% were over weight and they most of them did not run one bit all the pollee were getting a kick out of it because it was pretty pathetic... I'm sorry there no excuse for that my grandfather was in the army for 27 years and even in his 60's before he died he was still running 3 miles a day I still think even the reserves should have to keep up there physical fitness....:yes:

Motorola07
11-27-06, 11:03 PM
My brotherinlaw just got back from Iraq, he is in the Army. His platoon just got replaced by reservist and he said most of them were extremely slow, couldn't PT. Said they were just about all fat. He was the one that convinced me to change my status to active. I don't want to end up like that. Do you?

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-28-06, 12:08 AM
The Army does have a digital pattern as well, but it isn't the MARPAT that the Marine Corps wears. From looking at the cover, he seems to be Army to be me.

hawks
11-28-06, 12:42 AM
Hey Accord, could you link me to the article? Was it a feature on the Army or was it just talkign about the War in Iraq in general and this was just the AP photo to go along with it? Thanks.

Accord
11-28-06, 12:45 AM
Hey Accord, could you link me to the article? Was it a feature on the Army or was it just talkign about the War in Iraq in general and this was just the AP photo to go along with it? Thanks.
This picture has been floating around the internet for a while, I don't know where it originally came from but it's an AP photo.

PerXes
11-28-06, 01:32 AM
My brotherinlaw just got back from Iraq, he is in the Army. His platoon just got replaced by reservist and he said most of them were extremely slow, couldn't PT. Said they were just about all fat. He was the one that convinced me to change my status to active. I don't want to end up like that. Do you?
I'll have you know that reservists are held to the same standard as Active Duty Marines. What's more, it is more challenging for us to remain in tip top shape because we have jobs outside of the Marine Corps that don't allow us as much time as we'd like to PT with. You're going to get fat if you don't PT whether you're in the Reserves or Active Duty..it's all up to you, not your duty status.

USMCVet1992
11-28-06, 10:14 AM
E4B makes about the only valid point here. For a Marine to take shots at the Army is good to go, for a poolee to take shots at ANYONE wearing an AMERICAN SERVICE UNIFORM is not! Poolees have no place making cracks about any Member of any Branch of service, they are CURRENTLY serving, a Poolee in DEP is just that a Poolee, which means that you are still 8 steps below civilian s**t, once you earn the Title, then talk some trash, until then keep the trash talkin garbage to other branches Poolees. The caveman thingy, that is funny..... Sorry 'bout the rant guys, but I hate it when a friggin civvy or a Poolee bags on someone they know nothing about.

rktect3j
11-28-06, 10:21 AM
Yes. He makes for a bigger target when standing next to me.

SkilletsUSMC
11-28-06, 11:18 AM
the Caveman is a Marine FOR SURE... The pockets on the sleeves, no velcro on the sleeves, the Flak-jacket is a solid(coyote)color. Definately a Marine.

USMCVet1992
11-28-06, 11:24 AM
If that caveman is a Marine, why is he not killing something??????

SkilletsUSMC
11-28-06, 11:25 AM
If that caveman is a Marine, why is he not killing something??????

He just got done killing everyone in the vicinity....

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-28-06, 11:59 AM
I'll have you know that reservists are held to the same standard as Active Duty Marines. What's more, it is more challenging for us to remain in tip top shape because we have jobs outside of the Marine Corps that don't allow us as much time as we'd like to PT with. You're going to get fat if you don't PT whether you're in the Reserves or Active Duty..it's all up to you, not your duty status.

Sorry, but I spent enough time in the reserves to know that there are several of them that are over weight and out of shape. While there are some Marines on active duty that are not meeting standards, the percentage seemed to be much higher in the reserves. It also seemed to be much more acceptable in the reserves. I can't remember anyone getting into trouble for being over weight, while it was unacceptable for the Marines in my active duty units and action was taken as soon as it was known they were over their maximum weight.

USMCVet1992
11-28-06, 12:15 PM
Then he should be on the horn calling in fast movers to kill anything that might be just outside the vicinity....

Camper51
11-28-06, 12:34 PM
My step-son was in the Army. He was on a medical profile and the day he was released from the profile he was required to pass a PT, which he of course failed. The Army gave him one week to pass it,...

LivinSoFree
11-29-06, 11:43 AM
Maybe he's speaking out of place, but I'll tell you from my personal experience, the Army reservists I've seen are in fact, straight nasty. I drill at a combined reserve center, and on occasion, the Army's drill weekends overlap with ours. A good number of "soldiers," and I use that term loosely here, in that unit, are obscenely overweight, out of shape, have no pride or idea how to wear a uniform, seem to wander around with a dazed look in their eyes, and generally speaking, have no clue what's going on. When they go to the "field" it's for half a day at the park down the street, and some of them have to be HELPED INTO THE 5-TON because they're too fat to get themselves up. NOT COMBAT EFFECTIVE. I hope to whatever's holy that I NEVER, EVER have to go to war with something like what I've seen.

Now, the other side of all of this is that within the Army, there are some highly motivated, good to go units, who just get the job done as best they can. We rag on them a lot, and on the whole, they're certainly not up to our standards, BUT, there are a number of individuals on the Army side of the house that I'd gladly trust to watch my back. It's all about taking things for what they are.

The photo does tell the tale though...

USMCVet1992
11-29-06, 12:06 PM
I still stand by my theory of any American Uniform is welcome to back me when I need it, I prefer a Marine, but a fat soldier is welcome to shoot at the enemy as well. The photo only shows the cover of the book, what is contained within may tell a completely different story. I have friend that is built very much the same way as the young man in the photo, and he can outrun and out shoot most 0311's I have known because he has the heart and the drive to succeed, and will never give up. Although rare, they are out there, those who win because they know they can.

Osotogary
11-29-06, 01:19 PM
ggyoung-
accord======I had a Marine capt. who looked like the little short one. But by god he was all Marine. You could hit him as hard as you could in the "fat gut" and the only thing that would hurt was your hand. Looks are sometimes not what they seem.

The soldier on the right does look rather hefty but I totally agree with Sgt ggyoung. I would wish to have seen that soldier with better posture ,without leaning on something.

A little story-
Mid-1960's, a Japanese style, traditional karate dojo in San Francisco. I walk in to look around and see if this would be a good place to start taking karate lessons. I notice that there were nothing but Black Belts in attendance kind of casually warming up before either a class or a seminar begins; most all of the karateka are of Filipino or Hawaiian origin. All of a sudden the curtain opens up from the back of the dojo and one huge Hawaiian black belt enters the training area. Everyone bows to him, he smiles and then, in sumo style, makes a motion that would inticate that he has just pushed both of his testicles into his body. He then hands one of the black belts in attendance a baseball bat, pats his stomach and says, "Right here, Brudda." Wham! The sound of a baseball bat smacking flesh fills the air. He is handed back the baseball bat, smiles and say's, "Thanks, Brudda." Then everyone begins to train.
Now, I don't know if this gentleman would have made a good soldier but he certainly looked like a guy you'd want on your side.
Gary

SkilletsUSMC
11-30-06, 12:39 AM
Then he should be on the horn calling in fast movers to kill anything that might be just outside the vicinity....

Well calling CAS isnt so easy a caveman can do it:D

Zippo
12-02-06, 03:14 PM
E4B makes about the only valid point here. For a Marine to take shots at the Army is good to go, for a poolee to take shots at ANYONE wearing an AMERICAN SERVICE UNIFORM is not! Poolees have no place making cracks about any Member of any Branch of service, they are CURRENTLY serving, a Poolee in DEP is just that a Poolee, which means that you are still 8 steps below civilian s**t, once you earn the Title, then talk some trash, until then keep the trash talkin garbage to other branches Poolees.

good point Marine. i've been meaning to say the same thing. no matter how nasty the army may be, NONE of you have earned jack sh*t yet. you IN NO WAY rate to make cracks on men who have fought and died on the same soil we have. and i say that loosely as i myself have not been overseas yet, either. but you're ever farther away. lock it up with the cracks on the army.

LivinSoFree, I'm on an army base right now and i'm around soldiers all the time.. it isnt just the reserves who are fat. besides, fatness is more acceptable than many other things they do. i've seen a young soldier salute an officer (after i told him to stand up) at attention with one hand saluting and the other hand behind his back!! (as if at parade rest)

point is, poolee's, if you really want to show the army how much better we are than them, become a Marine and prove it with your actions.

Old Marine
12-03-06, 09:25 AM
If you happen to think that the Marine Corps does not have personel like the one on the right, better think again.

You do not know ehat this guy can do until you strap him on. Maybe he can take your eyes out in one second, or maybe he can hit anything he shoots at 1000 yds plus. Never judge someone because of his looks, you could get a rude awakening.

10thzodiac
12-03-06, 03:47 PM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/Accord32222/FATARMYSOLDIER2.jpg

When I see things like this it makes me so glad to know that when I do eventually go to Iraq, I will have United States Marines watching my back, and not that.

I don't know if things have changed since I was in '60-65, but this guy looks pretty good compared to allot of the Staff NCO's I had in the Artillery. It seemed the more rank they had the bigger they were, from SSgt to SgtMaj. Most times when we deployed the 1st Sgt on up never went. The biggest one I ever saw was my Sgt Maj in HQ/2/12, 1964, he had to be close to #300 all beer belly.

SF
10th

mighty mouse
12-14-06, 05:57 PM
Thats funny lol lol lol

SgtHopperUSMC
12-14-06, 06:51 PM
E4B makes about the only valid point here. For a Marine to take shots at the Army is good to go, for a poolee to take shots at ANYONE wearing an AMERICAN SERVICE UNIFORM is not! Poolees have no place making cracks about any Member of any Branch of service, they are CURRENTLY serving, a Poolee in DEP is just that a Poolee, which means that you are still 8 steps below civilian s**t, once you earn the Title, then talk some trash, until then keep the trash talkin garbage to other branches Poolees. The caveman thingy, that is funny..... Sorry 'bout the rant guys, but I hate it when a friggin civvy or a Poolee bags on someone they know nothing about.We all come from the same dirt.....:p Clay in a potters hands.

yellowwing
12-18-06, 07:35 AM
Something looks odd about the photo. Are those really US Army soldiers? Does anyone recognize their unit patches or equipment and cammie pattern?

But it is funny that the fat guy is leaning against a sh*t can! :banana:

MotivatorOfTheGuard
12-18-06, 09:02 AM
I dont know if its been mentioned, but i have to say it otherwise it will bother me. That caveman photo is no doubt hilarious...however, the photo that was doctored up was a UNITED STATES MARINE! Look at his arm! i KNOW thats not a caveman in a USMC MARPAT Digital Blouse! We'll play games...jk...

:evilgrin:

SpyderGTR
11-04-07, 02:59 PM
Dude are you still a private in the marine corp after 15 years

zackmerc
11-04-07, 03:26 PM
The pattern looks like National Guard cammies.

As for the Caveman thing, the armor looks like the Modular Tactical Vest and the chest strap looks like the one from the ILBE.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-04-07, 03:58 PM
Dude, are you really a Marine that doesn't know you capitalize the words Marine and Corps? Or are you really a Marine that doesn't know there is an S at the end of Corps?

bgsuwoody
11-04-07, 04:03 PM
Dude, are you really a Marine that doesn't know you capitalize the words Marine and Corps? Or are you really a Marine that doesn't know there is an S at the end of Corps?

It's just that "Hollywood Marine" way of doing things I guess...

oh man, I'm going to love this whole PI/SD thing...:)

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-04-07, 04:31 PM
MCRD San Diego is the only place that makes Marines. We just let you all from PI pretend.

Big Jim
11-04-07, 09:48 PM
I agree with USMCVET, poolees need to earn the right to run the holes under their nose!! Until then, stay where you belong... going to your little poolee meetings and high school... until you earn the right!

yellowwing
11-04-07, 09:53 PM
Thanks Big Jim. I don't think this is a good poolee topic.