View Full Version : Something borrowed, something blue

thedrifter
11-27-06, 07:44 PM
Monday, November 27, 2006

Something borrowed, something blue
New generation of war moms flying 'blue star' flags in homes, supporting troops
By Peggy Kreimer
Post staff reporter

When Kimberly Piol's son was deployed to Iraq on Nov. 6, his grandmother, Lorene Friedman, suggested the family get a flag with a blue star on it to hang in the window of their home in Florence.

Such flags were common in World War II, with each blue star denoting a son or daughter in the military.

Piol ended up with more than a flag. She's now the president and founder of Blue Star Mothers of America Northern Kentucky Chapter 5.

"When my mother started talking about getting a flag, I didn't know what she was talking about," said Piol. "She said her grandmother had one in the window for years. When she was a little girl, my mother was fascinated with the flag and always asked her about it."

But Friedman couldn't remember exactly what it looked like.

"We were going to try to make one, but a friend said there's an organization where you can get those," Piol said.

She found the Blue Star Mothers on the Internet and contacted the group.

"The next thing I knew the national president was asking me to start a chapter of my own," Piol said.

She was sworn in on Nov. 15, and the new chapter already has 19 members who are mothers and 47 associate members. They have adopted a Marine battalion in Iraq and are preparing Christmas boxes for the troops.

"We have to raise $2,400 for postage in the next week to get them there in time for Christmas," Piol said.

"Normally, we'd have fund-raisers through the year, but we're so new, we don't have time, so we're asking people to help."

The U.S. Postal Service provides free "gallon boxes," slightly larger than a shoebox, to be sent to military bases.

"But the postage isn't free," Piol said. "It's $8 a box."

Time Auto in Richwood donated $500 for postage and 600 Frisbees. Southgate VFW donated $1,000. Roeding Insurance Group has been collecting gifts and several personal checks.

"We're on our way," Piol said.

The group will be packing more than 300 boxes on Dec. 3 at the VFW Hall in Richwood.

They're sending wet naps - a hot item in areas with limited washing facilities - socks, disposable razors, toothbrushes and toothpaste, AAA and AA batteries, hair gels, combs, and snacks and candy that won't melt.

"We want to put one ornament in each box - non-breakable. We're hoping someone will have a box of ornaments they can donate," she said.

"And we're putting in pictures of home - dogs, flowers, people, houses."

The boxes are going to a Marine battalion recently landed in Iraq.

"I found them with the help of the Marine commander in Hawaii, where the Marines are deployed from," Piol said. "They were the latest troops out of Hawaii and they're going to the ground. They won't have tents to go to."

Piol also will be packing a special box for her son, Anthony, 20, who is a Marine in a different battalion in Iraq.

"I'm sending him a watch that his grandfather wore in the military, and some special ornaments and a picture of myself and our family - things to carry in his backpack," Piol said. Anthony's grandfather, Charles Matthew Markesbery, served in Korea and Vietnam and is now living in Colorado.

Piol is also sending her son crayons, paper, pens and children's books.

"We had a letter from a boy in my son's platoon. The children there don't have any school supplies. They've lost everything in the war. They wanted books for children from grades 2 to 6. That's what they asked for for Christmas," she said.

She has two sons. Jonathan, 21, will be heading to Baghdad on Jan. 16. He had been a police officer in Oakland, Calif., and now is in the Marines military police.

"Part of me is just so proud of them that I can't even speak about it. Another part of me is so terrified I can't even sleep about it," Piol said.

"It doesn't help to worry. So I'm doing what I can to help."

The flag with one blue star is hanging in her front window.

"My one-star flag will be replaced with two stars when Jonathan leaves," she said.

Membership in the Blue Star Mothers of America is $10 for mothers, which pays for the flag and a pin that shows a blue star in a red crest. There's no fee for associate members, but they can purchase flags and pins.

The group's mission is to support the troops serving on hostile foreign soil, and to support families at home.

"Blue Star Mothers of America also supports fire departments and police departments in the U.S.," Piol said. "When a family is in need, we try to help."

The blue stars signify children serving in the military. If those children are killed, the blue star is replaced by a gold one.

"One of my jobs is to give the gold stars," Piol said.

"That's the hard part. That's the sad part."

Ellie