PDA

View Full Version : Couple stops in Yuma in coast-to-coast trek

thedrifter
11-27-06, 07:31 PM
Local News

Couple stops in Yuma in coast-to-coast trek
BY JAMES GILBERT, SUN STAFF WRITER
Nov 27, 2006

Two former Marines left Yuma's Armed Forces Park Monday morning on what was to be the final leg of their coast-to-coast charity bike ride.

"My wife and I are making this trip to raise money and awareness for my sister's charity," said Clayton Walding. "There is so much need for what it does."

Walding and his wife, Laura, began their cross-country trip on Oct. 27 at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island in South Carolina by dipping the back tire of their bike in the Atlantic Ocean.

They say their journey will end at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego on Wednesday morning when they dip the front tires of their bikes in the Pacific Ocean.

"He went to basic training in San Diego and I went to Parris Island, " Laura said.

The couple, who take turns riding while the other drives their car, are making the trip for a charity called Markers for Munchkins, a nonprofit organization to help low-income families who have lost a child pay for proper burials and to buy headstones.

"A lot of children are buried without headstones because insurance companies don't cover the cost of them," Clayton said. "Sometimes there isn't enough money to pay for the entire cost of the funeral."

"No one ever expects to lose a child," Laura said. "It's also about helping families cope by offering grief counseling."

Clayton said he and his wife are raising money in memory of his 6-year-old niece Kylie who passed away in April 2005 from a rare genetic disease.

Kylie is the reason Clayton's sister formed the organization about six months ago, Laura said.

So far the Walding's trek has taken them 31 days and through nine states. The couple, who are traveling with their two small children and a Jack Russell terrier puppy, have been staying at military bases and campsites.

"We both made it through boot camp so we can do anything," Clayton said laughingly. "We are almost there now, though."

Laura said the couple only took up cycling about six months before they decided to embark on their charity bike ride.

"I have always wanted to do a cross-country trip and when I mentioned it to (Clayton) he said why don't we do it now," Laura said.

Clayton said the couple was averaging about 100 miles a day when they first started, but now they are doing about 120 a day, despite fewer daylight hours.

"We take turns riding due to the children and we each ride for a few hours," Clayton said.

While they both say they have enjoyed their trek, met many friendly people along the way and saw some fantastic scenery, they add they are looking forward to finishing.

"All the days are blending together now. It's been a long, hard, tiring trip," Laura said. "It was hardest on the kids, but they have been great."

"The Continental Divide was a hard road to ride and we happened to hit it on my shift of riding," Clayton said. "I'm sore now, but not from the pedaling, from the seat."

For more information about the charity and how to donate, call 263-7114 or visit www.markersformunchkins.org.

James Gilbert can be reached at gilbert@yumasun.com or 539-6854.

Ellie