PDA

View Full Version : Iraq Marines were the stars of Veterans Day parade

thedrifter
11-27-06, 07:27 PM
Article published Nov 27, 2006
Iraq Marines were the stars of Veterans Day parade

CMDR. Griffin T. Dalianis
Ask The Commander

History was made a week ago Saturday when seven Marines from Bravo Company, just back from Iraq, marched in the Veterans Day parade in Nashua. This is the first group of troops that have marched in a Nashua Veterans Day parade since World War II.

Remember, Korea was the forgotten war and we all know how the troops from Vietnam were treated. There was a large parade for Gulf War veterans in New York City.

The Marines’ attendance at the parade came about because they came back from Iraq and were welcomed home at Nashua High School South. Several of us were invited to the homecoming and several parents started connecting with me as they read my column. A couple of weeks ago in my column, I had several of the Marines in a picture meeting Sen. John McCain at the VFW in Nashua.

The Bravo Company family network is very strong and very proud of their sons. In speaking with some of the families, they got very excited about their sons being in the parade. (I thought to myself, surely these young Marines have better things to do with their time.) To my surprise, Hilda Russell called to say at least seven wanted to march in the parade. She also asked if the mothers and fathers could march, too. Hilda said they had a 25-foot banner. It stretched across Main Street and the letters were almost three feet high. It read “Welcome Home Bravo Company, 1st of 25th Marines.”From the beginning of the parade, when people saw the mothers carrying the banner with the seven Marines marching behind it, they all went crazy with emotions. People started running out of the crowd to shake their hands or just touch them. There were tears of happiness throughout the march down Main Street.

There were many Marine Corps veterans in the crowd – they immediately came to attention and saluted these young Marines.

After the parade reached the bottom of Library Hill, I told the Marines that if they wanted to, they could break ranks and walk along side where the people were standing. The Marines broke ranks and they split into two groups, one on each side of the street. The crowd couldn’t get enough of these young Marines.

As we went past the reviewing stand, I called “eyes right hand salute.” It was done by these young Marines with precision.

Several of the fathers of these Marines had served in the Armed Forces. The father of Tony Allardo marched with the Disabled American Veterans division. Hilda Russell’s father had served in the armed forces. Hilda herself served in the Air Force and with her son, Derek, just back from Iraq, this made three generations who served their country.

The younger brothers of two of the Marines also participated in the parade by carrying the DAV banner. Russell was the brother of Derek Bice and Michael was the brother of Nick Koutolukis.

A week after the parade, people were still talking about the Marines in the parade. A bank employee, Ms. Whitman, said when she saw the Marines in the parade “it put a face on the war” to her. Sue from Chuck’s Barbershop said she gave several of them haircuts before they left for Iraq and told them when they got back they would get free haircuts. She stated she had already given three free haircuts and was honored to do so.

Bill String, commander of the Nashua VFW, said when he saw the Marines he had a flashback of himself, at their age, in Vietnam.

I could go on for several more pages about the comments from the residents of Nashua. Let’s just say – they made an impact on our city.

Let’s give the parade committee a big thanks for again putting on a great parade and the American Legion for serving lunch for everyone who marched in the parade.

God bless our troops.Did you know?
n I received some complaints about the moss growing on the bricks at the Veterans Memorial Walk. It was also brought up at the Mayor’s Veterans Council meeting.

Kudos to Nick Caggiano of the Parks and Recreation

Department. He had the bricks sprayed and they now look great.

Ellie