PDA

View Full Version : From the halls of music - to Iraq

thedrifter
11-27-06, 07:30 AM
From the halls of music - to Iraq

Free guitars for Marines strum a patriotic tune

By Dick Foster, Rocky Mountain News
November 27, 2006

There's a memorable line in the movie, Major Payne, in which the Marine Corps officer played by Damon Wayans tells his girlfriend, "I always figured if the Marine Corps wanted me to have a wife they'd have issued me one."

The Corps doesn't issue everything to its Marines, and so entered Edith LeMaster of Aurora earlier this year when her son, Cpl. Joe Kaniatobe, was sent to Ramadi.

Out in the barren, hostile expanse of western Iraq there are few amenities, and LeMaster thought her son, who loved playing the guitar, could use one to relax during his off hours.

LeMaster knew other Marines would like to do some picking, too. She talked to them last March in California before Joe's unit left for Iraq.

"His wife and I spent three weeks out there just before he left, and I spent some time with some of his buddies," she said.

While she was playing pool with them at a bowling alley, LeMaster asked what they would enjoy having in Iraq that they weren't taking along.

"We could sure use some guitars over there, but you can't afford that," one of them told her.

"What if I get them donated?" she asked.

"Well, we don't take charity. We're Marines," the troops responded.

"What if you take them as a gift from a grateful nation?" she asked.

"Ma'am, that would be awesome," one responded.

Thus was born LeMaster's idea, Music for Marines.

She contacted Denver Musicians Association President Pete Vriesenga with the plan to solicit donated guitars.

"We made this an adjunct effort with our annual Showcase fundraiser last April," Vriesenga said.

LeMaster and Vriesenga contacted Brandt Erickson, American Legion Post No. 1 adjutant, for help sending the guitars to Iraq.

Erickson told them simply, "You get 'em, we'll ship 'em."

Things started slowly. One guitar was donated at the Showcase, from Brian Bougault of Curtis Park Music in Denver.

That one went to Kaniatobe.

"We had a lot of free time. And that's when you start missing home and thinking about stuff that's going on around you," said Kaniatobe, who returned home last month.

"The guitar definitely raised our morale and filled a lot of that free time," he said.

By summertime, more guitars began arriving.

In June, the Denver Grateful Dead tribute band, JUBA JUBA!, won a guitar in a battle of the bands in Glenwood Springs and donated it, said lead guitarist Steve LaZar.

Then, Denver Musician Association members Jim and Nancy Grafmyer donated two vintage instruments, a banjo and a ukulele.

They were traded to the Denver Folklore Center for four guitars, a banjo and a mandolin that were sent to the Marines, and center owner Harry Tuft tossed in two additional guitars.

As fate would have it, some of the Marines were experienced players.

"Not only did they entertain. But they were teaching us how to play," Kaniatobe said.

"Sometimes we would play some things together, but we didn't form a band or anything. We're not Phish," he said.

So far, Music for Marines has sent nine acoustic guitars, one banjo and one mandolin.

The guitars were snatched up.

"I put up a sign that said: 'Free Guitars. First Come, First Served.' I gave away all the instruments in 10 minutes," Kaniatobe said.

He gave three to soldiers, one to a sailor and the rest to Marines.

"Over there, you're a service member. I'm always a Marine first, but the Army and Navy, we're all fighting together," he said.

Kaniatobe set up one ironclad rule: The guitars stay in Iraq.

"I specified that these are to be turned over to the next unit that relieves you. They're not to be sold," he said.

And while the guitars haven't replaced the battery-operated CD players, live riffs now echo through some barracks and bases of western Iraq.

More are on the way, promises LeMaster, who is seeking donations from whoever wants to give.

She's convinced the guitars will help Marines cope with combat stress and could even bridge cultural gaps with the Iraqis themselves.

"It's an actual physical thing that causes post-traumatic stress disorder in your body," LeMaster said of the combat stress condition known as PTSD.

"In order to ward that off, you need to do something along the way to lighten the spirit. That's why I wanted to get guitars into Ramadi," she said.

Kaniatobe agreed.

"In Ramadi there isn't a whole lot to do. There's a lot of sand," he said. The guitars "raised morale and they gave us something to do."

How to help

To donate guitars, harmonicas or cash to purchase instruments for members of the armed forces in Iraq, contact the Denver Musicians Association, 1165 Delaware St., Denver, CO 80204, or call 303-573-1717.

fosterd@RockyMountainNews.com or 719-633-4442

Ellie