PDA

View Full Version : Future Marine

Gabe
11-26-06, 07:37 PM
Hello,
My name is Gabriel Roberson. I am wondering if any of the Marines and poolies could give me any suggestions on how to prepare for the Marines. I am 14 years old( I turn fifteen next month.). I am 6'1 180lbs (YES, I KNOW, I KNOW! My friends call me Hightower.) I am in okay physical shape. But I'm as slow as Christmas. My fastest mile time was 8:30! I am working at it though. I run Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and sometimes Saturday. I alternat between jogging and sprinting. I watch what I eat constantly. I also lift at least twice a week with my dad. I am also in NJROTC at school. I was recently selected as the cadet of the quarter and received a meritorious promotion. I am doing well in it and I hope to join the drill team soon. I will receive my Eagle Scout Award at the end of this year early next year also. I have good grades right now ( all A's only one B) I am VERY motivated to join the Marines. I am just wondering if anybody had any suggestions, comments, or any insights that can help me get closer to my goal.
Thanks,
Gabe

Motorola07
11-26-06, 08:01 PM
Wow you are extremely tall for your age. Do you play basketball?

Umm, well you have a few years before you can go to MEPS. But best thing to do is go ahead and start learning the 11 General Orders, Ranks, and a lot of vocabulary. What my recruiter told me to learn, that and a few other things he circled in the "The Making of A Marine" book you get when you pass through MEPS. I leave June 4th.

Gabe
12-30-06, 08:53 PM
Thank you for the advice sir. I am sorry it took so long for me to reply. Been busy with school. Made "A" honor roll! Any way to answer your question. I don't play organized basketball. I coach it though sometimes. I actually play baseball. I'm a pitcher and catcher. Thank you again for your suggestions. Hope boot camp goes well.
Gabe

stace
12-30-06, 09:48 PM
Concentrate on not just your running time, but endurance as well. I played baseball my entire life before joining the Marines, so I know how running goes :)

Motorola07
12-30-06, 10:44 PM
I also play baseball aswell... 2nd 3rd Base for varsity, also some pitching.

yellowwing
12-30-06, 10:53 PM
How active in the community are you and your BSA Troop?

Accord
12-30-06, 11:21 PM
Join the Young Marines program.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-31-06, 12:38 AM
I am going to say something a little different here. Don't worry about what you can do to get ready for the Marines. Have fun being a teenager. Stay out of trouble and in reasonable condition. Then, when you get a little closer to time to enlist you can begin to worry about specific things you need to do.

devildoghopeful
12-31-06, 04:28 AM
Looks like you're motivated enough to try anything and thats great! For the run-times, I would normally say run more often, but you seem to be running enough. How far are you running? Running longer distances improves your endurance as well as making you faster when it comes to shorter distances. So next time you're feeling moto and have some spare time on your hands, go outside and keep running - you dont have to sprint or even push yourself on your pace. You SHOULD however push yourself on your run-time. The longer the better.

Good Luck,

Alex

PS - Emotions work really well when it comes to running. If you feel a strong emotion like anger or extreme happiness, a great way to harness the energy produced by this emotion is by running long distance.
[My apologies if none of that made sense, if there are any misunderstandings please ask or PM me]

Ceya
12-31-06, 08:22 AM
I am going to say something a little different here. Don't worry about what you can do to get ready for the Marines. Have fun being a teenager. Stay out of trouble and in reasonable condition. Then, when you get a little closer to time to enlist you can begin to worry about specific things you need to do.

Yep stay out of trouble. I didn't head those words in 1985 so it took another 10 yrs for me to get my trash in order and try again.

S/F,
CEYA!

capmarine
12-31-06, 10:22 AM
you are doing just fine,keep up the good work.i was never any speedster,either.things have a way of working themselves out.even today,at 58,i jog on the treadmill and do other aerobic exercises.
i am a big believer in doing bodyweight exercises,too.i dont do just weights.i do pyramids of chinups/pullups,pushups,situps and dips.there are a myriad of exercises you can to sets of,maybe once a week.in bootcamp you dont hardly touch weights,but you will do a lot of upper body work,so pulling yourself up a rope,situp and pushups are important-as important as running.remember you will do the confidence course in boot.
look at --- www.fitdeck.com
this was developed by a former SEAL.
GUY

Gabe
01-01-07, 03:20 PM
Concentrate on not just your running time, but endurance as well. I played baseball my entire life before joining the Marines, so I know how running goes :)

Thank you for the advice sir. Since I wrote my original post I have dropped my runnining time to 7:45 for the mile and I took a watered down public school PE version of the PFT a couple of weeks ago. He timed us for the mile run, 1 minute push-ups, 1 minute sit-ups and the sit and reach. Like I said I did 7:45 for the mile ( the best time I have ever done). I did 50 pushups in 1 minute and 60 sit-ups in one minute. I don't think that it's that much to brag about but I was very pleased with my mile time. I hate public school ( I was homeschooled untill this year that might be why) but that day was the best day in school that I have had so far. By the way baseball tryouts are January 15th for me. I can't wait. I won't have any trouble making a team. I just don't know which one. My coach said I might be the starting catcher for the JV team or I might be the backup catcher on varsity. Personally I would rather get the playing time with JV. But I am content with just playing baseball. Anyway thank you again for your advice. I really appreciate it. It means a lot to me. Also good luck to you. Have fun at bootcamp!
-Gabe:)

Gabe
01-01-07, 03:33 PM
How active in the community are you and your BSA Troop?

I think I'm pretty active with my troop, I don't know if you'll think so. In 2006 I believe I have accumulated about 150 community service hours with my troop . My troop is fairly active right now. I am trying to get them more active though. Right now I am planning my Eagle Project. I am trying to decide between building a wheel chair ramp through a civitan's club that one of the elders at my church is involved with, or building several clothing racks and other things for the Safe Harbor Women's Foundation my Church and I support. I have been trying to find something that benefit's vetrans through the VA or something similar. But I will decide very soon and get movin' on the project. Thank you for your interest.
-Gabe

Gabe
01-01-07, 03:45 PM
Join the Young Marines program.

I would love to join the Young Marines program but the closest unit is near Daphne, Alabama and that's over an hour's drive to get there. I was surprised they don't have one near where I live. Because I live close to NAS Pensacola. I also couldn't take on another activity. My schedule is crammed full of stuff and I wouldn't have time. My best friend and his family are stationed at MCAS Cherry Point and he just made E-6 in the Young Marines. Like I said I wish I could join but I can't. Thank you for the suggestion though sir.
-Gabe

Gabe
01-01-07, 03:46 PM
you are doing just fine,keep up the good work.i was never any speedster,either.things have a way of working themselves out.even today,at 58,i jog on the treadmill and do other aerobic exercises.
i am a big believer in doing bodyweight exercises,too.i dont do just weights.i do pyramids of chinups/pullups,pushups,situps and dips.there are a myriad of exercises you can to sets of,maybe once a week.in bootcamp you dont hardly touch weights,but you will do a lot of upper body work,so pulling yourself up a rope,situp and pushups are important-as important as running.remember you will do the confidence course in boot.
look at --- www.fitdeck.com
this was developed by a former SEAL.
GUY

Thank you sir. I will look into that.
-Gabe

Gabe
01-01-07, 03:52 PM

Thank you sir for the advice. I guess I'm just really motto right now. I want to be the best prepared, best educated, and the most fit person I can be by the time I get to the Marines. I want to be the best Marine I can be and this website is really helping me get closer to that goal. I will heed your advice though. Thank you again.
-Gabe

Gabe
01-01-07, 04:00 PM
Looks like you're motivated enough to try anything and thats great! For the run-times, I would normally say run more often, but you seem to be running enough. How far are you running? Running longer distances improves your endurance as well as making you faster when it comes to shorter distances. So next time you're feeling moto and have some spare time on your hands, go outside and keep running - you dont have to sprint or even push yourself on your pace. You SHOULD however push yourself on your run-time. The longer the better.

Good Luck,

Alex

PS - Emotions work really well when it comes to running. If you feel a strong emotion like anger or extreme happiness, a great way to harness the energy produced by this emotion is by running long distance.
[My apologies if none of that made sense, if there are any misunderstandings please ask or PM me]

Thanks. I am alternating between sprinting ( 100yds, 90ft(Home plate to 1st base), 180ft (Home to 2nd), 270 ft (home to 3rd, and my personal favorite 360ft (home to home) and long distance (usually a mile but I try to push myself a little bit more everytime I run. I usualy add a half a lap each time I run.). Emotions help me when I run too. I try to sing the few cadence songs I know and that usualy helps me a but when I am mad or happy,that helps me get even farther. Thanks again.
-Gabe :)

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-01-07, 11:20 PM
Thank you sir for the advice. I guess I'm just really motto right now. I want to be the best prepared, best educated, and the most fit person I can be by the time I get to the Marines. I want to be the best Marine I can be and this website is really helping me get closer to that goal. I will heed your advice though. Thank you again.
-Gabe

I don't mean to quit working out or trying to learn things. Running is great, you should keep doing it. Working on some body weight exercises would be a good idea. But, don't make it your whole life. There are some great things ahead of you, and you don't want to miss out on that just because you want to be a Marine. The Corps will still be here when it comes time for you to enlist.

And, make sure you keep coming to this forum. You'll learn so much on this forum that it will help you in more ways that you could imagine.

Camper51
01-02-07, 02:17 PM

Yep stay out of trouble. I didn't head those words in 1985 so it took another 10 yrs for me to get my trash in order and try again.

S/F,
CEYA!

These two posts are right on. Enjoy the next couple of years as a teenager and keep your nose clean. It looks like you are already on the right track and do not need to do "more excercise, etc..."

Enjoy your friends and fellow scouts, get that Eagle project DONE. Making Eagle Scout will truly follow you throughout your life. If you don't believe me then check out some of what was written about Gerald R. Ford who died last week. He was an Eagle scout and it followed him till the day he died.

You have more than enough time to enjoy as a teenager, DO IT...

KruSol187
01-02-07, 09:10 PM
I am going to enlist very soon. I've already spoken to two different recruiters, and I will be going into the DEP for about a month in order to get in somewhat better shape than I already am, considering the fact that I am a smoker. I've read through all of these posts, and it's good that you are as active and involved as you are, but remember that you do have a lot of time ahead of you. Be sure to plan ahead of time and have confidence in yourself. I wish you the best of luck in all your ventures.
----------
DuVall

Gabe
04-10-07, 01:05 PM
Hello everyone at Leatherneck.Com,
Thought I'd give ya'll a sitrep. It's been awhile since I've posted on here. I've been pretty busy. Baseball season is in full swing right now. I've started every game this year playing catcher. I've got a .350 avg. right now. Might get a call up to varsity soon! I'm doing pretty good in the academic world too. I've got a 3.7 GPA. Latin's really screwin' me over right now though. I'm also doing well in NJROTC right now. I've been promoted to C/PO3. I also received the American Veterans (AMVETS) NJROTC medal.
Gettin' a little closer to that EGA every day.
Thanks for all the support ya'll,
Gabe

yellowwing
04-10-07, 01:13 PM
How is the Scouts activity going? If you make Eagle Scout, give heavy consideration to Annapolis. We need good leaders.

Gabe
04-10-07, 01:36 PM
Well, I've had to put scouts on the back burner because of baseball and school. We have three games left in two weeks so right after the season I will get back scouts. I haven't stopped doing scouts completely right now. Actually I am going on a survival campout this weekend. I am one of the survival instructors but I teach the guys SERE techniques out of the FMF manuals instead. I get in a little bit a trouble doing that but I'm one of the senior scouts in the troop so I don't get in a whole lot of trouble. Besides I'm a future Marine I can take all the adults leaders on. Anyway, As soon as baseball is over I promise I will get my Eagle done. Scout's Honor.
Thanks,
Gabe

yellowwing
04-10-07, 01:40 PM
Annapolis, fight with an F-18 or 30 of the most wicked mofos' ever bred on the planet. Its not a bad deal, if you are up to the task.

Gabe
04-10-07, 02:00 PM
Yes sir!
That's my dream. I want to fly F/A-18's. I've wanted to fly since I was 4, but if aviation falls through I want to go Recon. Anapolis is my other dream. I trying to do all I can to get both the ROTC and congressional nominations.
-Gabe

yellowwing
04-10-07, 02:11 PM
Never Quit! When life is hard never quit. When you are surrounded, never quit. That will ensure your victory. Even if you make Eagle Scout you still have 231 years of Marine Corps History to live up to.

Gabe
04-10-07, 02:24 PM
Aye Aye Sir!

Gabe
02-07-09, 09:29 AM
It's been almost two years since I posted this. I've been pushing towards my goal of becoming a Marine. Right now, I'm a Junior in High School, and a Freshman at the local Junior College. I have maintained a 3.89 Cum GPA my high school career. My senior year, I will take all of my classes at the JuCo and also at the local University.
Now, I am 6'3 and I weigh 195. I'm still working out three to four days a week. I bench 250 and squat 370.
I'm in the process of finishing up my Eagle Project. After my first post in '07, I undertook a large eagle project. For my Project, I am building a $20,000 Memorial for a Local Marine who died in 2006. I've been planning this for two years now, and it's coming together. And to Camper51, I promised you I'd get Eagle, and I will come through with my promise.

I am in the process of looking for colleges. My life's ambition is to go to the Naval Academy. However, I am not strong in math. I am a History, English, and science guy. Math just gives me nightmares.
Any suggestions?
I have received several letters from Auburn University ( War Eagle!) and North Georgia College and State University. If the Naval Academy nomination doesn't come, the are my next two choices. I would go on an NROTC scholarship with Marine Corps Option. There are also a few other colleges including Covenant college in TN ( my denomination's college) Again any insights, comments or verbal abuse?

This is where I'm at in life right now. I would love to hear any advice, that you could give me.
Thank you again,
Gabe