PDA

View Full Version : Slain La Puente Marine honored at burial

thedrifter
11-26-06, 07:18 AM
Slain La Puente Marine honored at burial
By Claudia Palma Staff Writer
Whittier Daily News

BALDWIN PARK - Family, friends, and fellow Marines honored a hero Saturday with applause and a standing ovation.

Services were held for Mario "Danny" Gonzalez, 21, of La Puente at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Baldwin Park.

The Marine lance corporal was killed Nov. 14 when a roadside bomb exploded near his convoy vehicle in the Anbar province of Iraq.

During the services, Dalila Ramirez, 18, spoke to Danny: "You are everything I ever hoped for in a man. I am thankful to have met you and blessed to have had you in my life." The two were engaged to be married next year.

Gonzalez joined the Marine Corps in June 2004 and was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine Expeditionary Force based in Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

The Purple Heart medal was given to Mario Gonzalez and Patricia Arreola during the burial at Forest Lawn Memorial-Park, Covina Hills for their son's heroism.

His cousin, Pedro Gonzalez, 29, said he was proud of his cousin for deciding, at such a young age, that he wanted a better life for himself and his family.

"He was proud of what he was doing, even though he seemed tired \," Pedro Gonzalez said. "He couldn't understand why he was still overseas, in this war, why nothing was solved after all this time. But he was strong and said he wanted to finish what he started.

"He was always so happy when we saw him on leave. He was proud of being a Marine, of fighting for his country and protecting his family," Pedro said.

Mario Gonzalez said his son "died for a cause that - to many - is an injustice, and we have learned to resign to the fact that many wonderful people like my son will die if it continues this way."

claudia.palma@sgvn.com

(626) 962-8811, Ext. 2123

Ellie