View Full Version : An Interview with Ken Nichols O'Keefe

wrbones
01-25-03, 10:48 PM
JONAH GOLDBERG

For release 1/10/03

SADDAM’S ‘IDIOTS’

By Jonah Goldberg

Tribune Media Services

V.I. Lenin, the founding dictator of the Soviet Union, had a pithy phrase for the Western liberals who took the side of the Soviets in political debates. He called them “useful idiots.”

Today we have a new and improved version of useful idiots; we call them “human shields.” These are the citizens of the United States and Europe who deliberately put themselves between the U.S. military and Saddam Hussein — or Slobodan Milosevic —in order to stop America from its “war of aggression.”

I recently debated a leader of the useful idiots, Ken Nichols O’Keefe, on CNN International’s “Q&A” program. O’Keefe represents something called the Universal Kinship Society (www.uksociety.org) and will be leading its volunteer brigade of human shields to Iraq, where he hopes to make it as difficult as possible for the United States to drop bombs on Iraq.

“If war starts, I will be in the most vulnerable areas. I want to be out where the bombs drop,” O’Keefe told Reuters. “If there is a risk of large Western casualties, that is quite a political liability.”

A former U.S. Marine and veteran of the first Gulf War, O’Keefe renounced his U.S. citizenship in “shame and disgust” in 1999 because, as he wrote in the British newspaper The Observer, “Paying for roads and schools is one thing, paying for ‘Weapons of Mass Destruction’ to the point of insanity and nurturing global oppression is another thing all together.” O’Keefe believes the United States was probably complicit in the 9/11 attacks and that the United States has been orchestrating its war for Iraq’s oil for a long time.

Now, what makes O’Keefe interesting is his foolish and embarrassingly naïve left-wing anti-Americanism. You can find people on every college campus in the world who agree with O’Keefe. What makes him noteworthy is his willingness to put his body where his bunk is. And, on that narrow basis alone, he deserves some praise.

But not much.

When I accused O’Keefe of grandstanding for propaganda purposes, he grew upset. In between calling me a coward, he continuously insisted that he couldn’t be grandstanding for propaganda purposes because he was putting his life on the line. It was clear to me that O’Keefe believes that risking his life somehow makes him more right.

This is a typical misfire of the intellect on the left: the belief that intensity of passion somehow reflects greater reasoning. According to this logic, I would be morally and intellectually right by putting my body between the police and the Mafia. The fact that O’Keefe is willing to follow through on his useful idiocy to the bitter end may make him consistent and, in an odd sense, brave, but it doesn’t make him any less of an idiot.

This illustrates the problem of the anti-war left more broadly. Every day, various regimes around the globe carry out horrible acts of aggression. But, with a very few exceptions, the international peace movement seems uniquely concerned about what it perceives to be unwarranted aggression by the United States, Israel and Europe — in that order.

When Saddam Hussein mobilized to invade Kuwait, there were no human shields heading to thwart him. When Saddam gassed the Kurds, the ranks of international peacnickery didn’t hop aboard planes for Northern Iraq. Every day in Africa, evil and barbarous state-sponsored thugs mutilate and murder innocent men, women and children with machetes, but the peace brigades do not march in their open-toed shoes to step in front of the blades.

The useful idiots were strangers to downtown Kabul when the Taliban or the Soviets ruled Afghanistan, but they hurried there when the United States set about to liberate that country and punish the perpetrators of the 9/11 attacks.

No, it’s not, as O’Keefe and his useful idiots claim, “oppression” or the killing of innocent men, women and children that rankles the anti-war movement; it’s that the United States gets under their skin.

Moreover, they know that the United States (and Israel and the West generally) has a conscience, and they take advantage of that fact. Saddam Hussein, China and the Red Armies of the former Soviet Union would gladly roll their tanks over the screaming bodies of peace activists to achieve their goals.

“Pacifism is objectively pro-fascist,” George Orwell wrote in 1942. “This is elementary common sense. If you hamper the war effort of one side you automatically help out that of the other.”

O’Keefe and his friends are objectively in favor of Saddam Hussein and his murderous regime because they believe he is uniquely worth defending with their bodies. They may be brave, I guess, but they’re still idiots, and I’m sure Saddam is grateful for them.

- - - -

You can write to Jonah Goldberg in care of this newspaper or by e-mail at JonahsColumn@aol.com.

©2003 Tribune Media Services, Inc.

wrbones
01-25-03, 10:53 PM
Sat 25 Jan 9.51.52 PM Sky News - first for breaking newsSky Sports News - sports news 24 hours a day...

O'Keefe: human shield

EX-MARINE'S PEACE PROTEST

A former US marine is leading a campaign against a second Gulf war by going to Baghdad to become a human shield.

Ken Nichols O'Keefe wants to prevent attacks on the Iraqi people. He claims to have been "overwhelmed" by the number of others who want to take similar action.

"I believe our so-called democracies are not representing the views of their people," he told Sky News. "Polls show people are against war but governments are clearly leading us into a conflict."

"George W. Bush has more than 7,000 nuclear weapons. He has said as recently as last month that he is willing to use them. The US must disarm first, then the rest of the world would be justifiably compelled to do the same."

Mr O'Keefe served in the first Gulf War in the early 1990s but later renounced his American citizenship.

He strongly denies he is being supported by the Iraqi government.

"It's a ludicrous suggestion, " he said. "But I'm not a pacifist, either. I just believe people have the right to fight back if they are threatened. I stand by what I believe in - I'm concerned about the state of the world.

"People in the West are lulled into a state of prosperity and comfort which makes them quite naive to the fact that we are on the brink of a global revolution."

Mr O'Keefe warned that the US had no interest in popular democracy in Iraq.

"If that was so, the oil would have to be distributed equitably. Any government after Saddam would be a puppet regime doing the bidding of the US and protecting its oil interests."

Mr O'Keefe plans to leave for Iraq on January 25.

He claims that huundreds of people have volunteered to go there, in what he calls a mass migration, "with the ultimate goal of saving thousands of brothers and sisters whose only crime is the existence of oil beneath their feet".

Last Updated: 12:41 UK, Monday January 13, 2003