PDA

View Full Version : USMC was here!

6yrforMar
11-24-06, 08:57 PM
In 1995 I did a short tour attached to a AEF unit in Kuwait I was a member of the Pa.Air National Guard.Written on a A/C unit ,looking like freehand paint was USMC was Here.This Kuwait Air base was likely captured by the USMC,during Desert Storm. Semper Fi

6yrforMar
11-28-06, 04:15 AM
In 1995 I did a short tour attached to a AEF unit in Kuwait I was a member of the Pa.Air National Guard.Written on a A/C unit ,looking like freehand paint was USMC was Here.This Kuwait Air base was likely captured by the USMC,during Desert Storm. Semper Fi Just thought I mention this,it reminded me of something that was done during WW2-"Kilroy Was Here".Seeing that the USMC took this base back from the Iraqis,made me kind of proud of the Marine Corps.

SgtHopperUSMC
12-03-06, 06:13 PM
What area of Kuwait was it. My unit stopped at an airbase because we were moving so fast. The ground War ended before we moved out again.

6yrforMar
12-04-06, 10:54 AM
The air base was located about 70 klicks southwest of Kuwait City,close to the western border of Kuwait-Saudi Arabia.The name of the base is Ahmed Al Jaber named after its base commander.The US Air Force had its own small compound there,most of the area around our compound was heavly mined ands lots of UXO`s around. Semper Fi

SgtHopperUSMC
12-04-06, 03:34 PM
Thats the one. Its where my unit stopped. The cease fire was called while we were there.

6yrforMar
12-05-06, 10:04 AM
The US used "Al Jaber" all way up to "Operation Iraqi Freedom",It was used by Allied aircraft to enforce the "No Fly Zone",which Sadaam Hussien`s forces violated every day.My AG unit deployed there 4 times between 95-01.I deployed there 2 times.The USMC had a large presence there at the US Army`s Camp Doha.I am proud of the USMC being the first ground forces in during Desert Storm.During Desert Storm I was at a Air Base in Saudi Arabia it seemed like it was in the middle of the Desert.The aircraft my unit used were A-10 Wart Hogs [Desert Hogs] I am sure you seen them. Semper Fi

BulldogMP
12-06-06, 01:38 PM
I was with MWSS-271 MP's on the advance party to secure and set up security for a farp site during Desert Storm.Went in on CH46's and set up the perimeter.Was ther 2-3 days then went to Kuwaiti Int'l for a few more.

SgtHopperUSMC
12-06-06, 10:41 PM
The US used "Al Jaber" all way up to "Operation Iraqi Freedom",It was used by Allied aircraft to enforce the "No Fly Zone",which Sadaam Hussien`s forces violated every day.My AG unit deployed there 4 times between 95-01.I deployed there 2 times.The USMC had a large presence there at the US Army`s Camp Doha.I am proud of the USMC being the first ground forces in during Desert Storm.During Desert Storm I was at a Air Base in Saudi Arabia it seemed like it was in the middle of the Desert.The aircraft my unit used were A-10 Wart Hogs [Desert Hogs] I am sure you seen them. Semper Fi I was always happy to see the air support show up!! We could see the anti air fire from the Iraqi positions. I also remember feeling and hearing the thunder of the 52's carpet bombing.