PDA

View Full Version : Pullups

irizavrima
11-24-06, 03:52 AM
I kill myself every day doing pull ups and I can never seem to do more then 12 or 15 no matter how hard I work...is there something in my workout routine that I am ommiting???

hawks
11-24-06, 10:27 AM
Are you just maxing your pullups everyday? Mix in weight pull ups. Mix in something like 5 sets of 10 pullups. Ask Accord, he does something like 100 pullups in a session and thats really good for you, try that, but get the right details from Accord first.

Smalcom
11-24-06, 12:30 PM
Follow the armstrong pullup program, and weight lift, do curls, lat pull downs, military press...etc.

JoeSzynal
11-24-06, 12:32 PM
I agree with Hawks. You don't want to max out every set you do.

I was able to get to 20 in a matter of three weeks (my avg. was where you were at, 15-18) just by working in four sets of 10 pullups into my gym routine.

Next thing I know severl weeks of this and we're at the pullup bar doing a mock-pft and i busted 20 while feeling I could still keep going. It was a nice feeling.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-24-06, 01:01 PM
It would be difficult to know if you are doing something wrong in your workout without knowing what your work out is. But, you should try Armstrong or Recon Ron and you will probably get to 20 quickly.

Accord
11-25-06, 02:14 AM
GRIP STRENGTH!!!!!!

This is the KEY. I was stuck at 10 pullups for the longest time, i'm talking months. Despite doing countless pullups and trying every program out there I still didn't gain any pullups. I got stronger, my biceps and lats got a lot bigger, but for some strange reason I just could not get past 10 pullups.

Then I discovered the one thing that almost everyone neglects, and that is GRIP STRENGTH! I had the strength and endurance in my back and biceps all along, but once I started specifically working on grip strength my pullup numbers went way up and very quickly.

You're only as strong as your weakest link, and in most cases it's your grip strength.

Accord
11-25-06, 02:16 AM
Are you just maxing your pullups everyday? Mix in weight pull ups. Mix in something like 5 sets of 10 pullups. Ask Accord, he does something like 100 pullups in a session and thats really good for you, try that, but get the right details from Accord first.
Pyramids.

Do 1 pullup, rest 10 seconds, do 2 pullups, rest 20 seconds, do 3 pullups, rest 30 seconds... and just keep going. The key is to never go to muscle failure. If you can do a pyramid where you work up to just 10 pullups that is 100 pullups right there in a single workout. If you just do max sets you'll burn yourself out very quickly.

irizavrima
11-25-06, 02:35 AM
how do i make my grip strength stronger....do i juss hang on the bar??

Accord
11-25-06, 02:37 AM
how do i make my grip strength stronger....do i juss hang on the bar??
Forearm rolls are the best.

Check out this article: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=260chin2

pooleekoehler83
11-25-06, 10:55 PM
bro, put on a backpack with like 10 pounds in it or 15, 20, whatever.... and do sets of 5 reps. every time you pull, use the weight. i guarentee you will be doing more.