PDA

View Full Version : Whats your workout schedule like?

hawks
11-23-06, 11:17 PM
I was just wondering what your guy's workout schedule is like. I ship on May 14th, so I think I'm going to continue to do a similar workout till I reach my goal of being as cut as possible before Spring Break (we're going down to Tampa I believe) and that is something like March 9-18. Then from after March 18th - May 14th I'm just going to focus on my pullups, pushups, sit-ups, and all the other plyometric and other exercises for MCRD. I also try and do at least 1 thing of cardio every day.
This is my current workout, what is yours? (BTW, everything is 3x6 with hard weight to build muscle mass) -

Day 1 - Chest and Triceps
Bench Press
Incline/Decline Press (Alternate between them)
Dumbell Flys
Pec Deck
Tricep Pulldown w/ Straight Bar
Tricep Pulldown w/ Rope
Skull Crusher
Dips - 3 x max

Day 2 - Back and Biceps
Pullups 2 x max
Deadlifts
Seated Lo Row
Seated Hi Row
One Arm Rows
Row with the Bar
Lat Pulldown
Barbell Curls
Preacher Curls
Pulups 2 x max

Day 3 - Legs/Shoulders/Core
Squat
Leg Press
Leg Extension
Leg Curls
Calf Raises
Shoulder Press
Military Press
Reverse Pec Deck
Various Ab Workouts

I go Day 1, Day 2, Rest Day, Day 3, Day 1, Rest Day, Day 2, Day 3, Rest Day etc etc.

Also for cardio I choose one of the following:
a) 3 Mile PFT Run
b) 3 Mile Run (just regular cardio run)
c) 5 Mile Run
d) HIIT on the Elliptical
e) Bike 10+ Miles
f) Full Court Basketball

I try and run 2 days in a row, then take a day break, and do a HIIT and bike on the break day. All I know is for sure I run at least 4 times a week, and do the HIIT at least 4, and bike twice per week.

Tomorrow (Day after Thanksgiving) - I think I'm going to run a PFT on my own. Ill post the times on here. Im also doing Day 1 tomorrow lifting, of course after my PFT, I think I'm goign to run the PFT as soon as I get up, I'll see.

I'm also throwing in different variations of pushups on days. For example I might do a bunch of diamond pushups on tricep days. I'm going to max my pushups every Sunday, to see if they are going up or not.

What is your guys like? Do any of you guys lift weights or do you just all the stuff to prepare you for MCRD. I know some of you are goign to say just do the stuff to prepare you for MCRD but I think all of this is. My pullups went form 3 at the start of school to 10 now, and I've never really focused that much on my pullups. My goal is obviously 20, which I think will be possible. I might throw in Recon Ron's program soon.

Accord
11-23-06, 11:49 PM
Monday: Back and Bi
Tuesday: 3 mile run and a 2 minute situp test
Wednesday: Chest and Tri
Thursday: 1.5 mile suicide sprint + fartleks and a 2 minute situp test
Friday: Legs and Shoulders
Saturday: 3 mile run
Sunday: rest

Pullups are mixed in between all throughout the week. Sometimes my running on Thursday is replaced by ice hockey.

hawks
11-24-06, 12:05 AM
How long do you do fartleks for Accord?

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-24-06, 12:05 AM
I would suggest changing to a Chest/bi and back/tri split. If you train your chest before you train your triceps, you won't be able to fully work them. They make up a huge part of your arms, and thus your appearance.

Other than that, looks pretty good. I'm doing something a little different right now.

Monday: Chest
Tuesday: Back
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Arms
Friday: Chest
Saturday: calisthenic PT

HIIT cardio on Tuesday and Thursday and a 3-5 mile run on Saturday.

hawks
11-24-06, 12:11 AM
The only thing with the Chest/Bi and Back/Tri splits are that I'm not giving myself enough time to recover on those days. Especially since theyre going to be back to back, I also do not want to give up too much time in between lifting days.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-24-06, 01:04 PM
Hawks, you would need to alter your days to put legs between the two. The light amount of work your chest will get while working triceps and the amount of work your back will get on bicep training days are both quite small. You won't get over trained by following the other split, and you will see quick gains in your arm strength and size. Since you're trying to get cut up for Spring Break, that would help.

Accord
11-24-06, 02:25 PM
The light amount of work your chest will get while working triceps and the amount of work your back will get on bicep training days are both quite small.
This is definitely true under ideal circumstances and is definitely true for most of us, but a lot of people don't know what they're doing in the gym. A beginner who is not yet capable of utilizing or focusing on a specific muscle or you're doing an exercise with improper form, it's not uncommon to do a back exercise and feel all biceps, etc. I see it all the time in the gym, guys doing things with the worst form i've ever seen and the muscles they're supposed to be targeting aren't doing any of the work.

hawks
11-24-06, 04:35 PM
If I understand you guys correctly, your saying that you do not get any big chest work when you do triceps and the same thing when you work your biceps you do not get much work on your back?
The thing is though I'm concentrating on the opposite. When I do a push up/bench press, my chest gets the bulk of the work, and it works my triceps alot too. When I do a pull up my back and bicep get work. So with splitting them up that much, I could be overworking the tricep/bicep and other smaller muscles.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-24-06, 05:23 PM
If you use proper form you won't overtrain your arms by doing the split I listed above. You will just actually have a chance to work the muscles when they are fresh and not already fatigued from working during the rest of your workout. (Ex. Triceps work some when you bench, but aren't the focus. When you work the tris later in the workout, they aren't fresh.)

But, if you are worried about it, just stick with what you're doing. You aren't doing anything wrong, I was just listing a way that would get you some gains in the arms for the beach while you're on Spring Break.

SmokeyBandit
11-24-06, 06:21 PM
Here's what I'm doing right now
Sunday:
15x20 Pushups
15x25 Situps
4x12 Pullups
15x15 Dips
(All Done back to back)

Run 6 miles

Monday
Run 3 miles

Tuesday
Same as Sunday

Wednesday
Hump-This week is 5 miles 1/3-1/4 body weight in less than 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Thursday
Same as Sunday

Friday
Run 6 miles

Saturday
3 sets of max pushups and situps in 30 seconds
3 max sets of pullups

Run 6 Miles

Smalcom
11-24-06, 06:53 PM
Lift 4-5 times a week swim 2-3 times a week

do a daily dozen... 3 times a day (12 exercises working every major group)

run 2 or 3 times a day

proachbass91
11-26-06, 02:57 PM
Monday: 5 Minutes of Turkish Get Ups with a 24 KG Kettlebell
Clean and Press a 24 KG Kettlebell 3 sets of 3 alternating arms.
Snatches with a 24 KG Kettlebell 3 sets of 3 alternating arms.

Tuesday: 12 Minutes of Kettlebell Swings with a 24 KG Kettlebell

Wensday: Variation day Usually hill sprints, pullups, dips and weighte pullups.

Thursday: 5 Minutes of Turkish Get Ups with a 24 KG Kettlebell
Clean and Press a 24 KG Kettlebell 3 sets of 3 alternating arms.
Snatches with a 24 KG Kettlebell 3 sets of 3 alternating arms.

Friday: 12 Minutes of Kettlebell Swings with a 24 KG Kettlebell

Saturday: Variation Day Usually 3-5 Mile interval run. Pullups, dips, and weighted pullups.

This is the program im on right now. I will be on a new program within 2 weeks.

Motorola07
11-26-06, 08:33 PM
Well, I work out every day in athletic program (Baseball/Football)..

Mon-Sun no matter what I run 1.5-3 miles at night at 2330 Central Time. Then 2 sets of max crunches.

At School

Mon. Study Hall

Tues. Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Tables, and tires. Max Weight on all.

Wed. Run Stairs, Crunches with weights.

Thurs. Front Squat, Deadlift, Tires, Incline. Max Weight on all.

Fri. Im in baseball, so the coach has us either throw or run. I usually throw first then run 2 miles.

hawks
11-26-06, 10:20 PM
So you only do 1 of each if your doing max weights?

Motorola07
11-26-06, 10:23 PM
Me? No, I do 8, 8, 6, 4, 4.

oneshot649
11-26-06, 11:44 PM
Monday: Rest Day
Tues/Thurs/Sat: 6 mile runs.
Weds/Fri/Sun: Pullup, Pushup, and Situp Pyramids.

bigfoot1188
11-27-06, 10:45 AM
I do cross country fo my school so I do about 4 miles a day. After school I do weights with upperbody and abs on one day tehn the next day lowerbody with back and abs the other day. then i do push ups after running with more sit ups and then I throw pull ups in there.

I also started this new work out. I went and bought a weighted vest that weighs 20 pounds and i go running and do push ups and sit ups in that then late ri will start doing pull up swith it on. I weight about 155 so weighing 20 pounds more sucks but its working pretty well.

proachbass91
11-27-06, 01:38 PM
Me? No, I do 8, 8, 6, 4, 4.

What is your reasoning behind using these numbers??

Based on the lifts you said you do you would probably benifit alot more by doing either a 3X3 or a 5X5 program....

Motorola07
11-27-06, 11:00 PM
What our coaches have us do things... They want us to start small, but not to small and gain weight as you do more sets.. like on squats ill start out on 185 on sets of 8. And by time im on the sets of 4 ill be doing 245-265.

Soon2BeVIP
11-27-06, 11:07 PM
Don't tell anyone, but sometimes to add some more cardio into my workout, I play some DDR after my work out :scared: . Haha

Accord
11-27-06, 11:16 PM
Don't tell anyone, but sometimes to add some more cardio into my workout, I play some DDR after my work out :scared: . Haha
That's probably something you shouldn't tell your DI's :)

proachbass91
11-28-06, 02:05 AM
What our coaches have us do things... They want us to start small, but not to small and gain weight as you do more sets.. like on squats ill start out on 185 on sets of 8. And by time im on the sets of 4 ill be doing 245-265.

Thats one of the most retarded things ever.... take 245 and do 5 sets of 5 reps for ur squats, if thats to much drop to 225 but do 5X5 of the heaviest weight u can manage. Yor gains will come quicker, and it will prove to be much more useful.

SmokeyBandit
11-28-06, 07:06 PM
It doesn't matter. You arn't going to be lifting weights in a weight room in bootcamp...

proachbass91
11-28-06, 08:47 PM
It doesn't matter. You arn't going to be lifting weights in a weight room in bootcamp...

Ok, but bootcamp is only 12(+1) weeks, before and after he will have access to weights.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-28-06, 09:01 PM
Thats one of the most retarded things ever.... take 245 and do 5 sets of 5 reps for ur squats, if thats to much drop to 225 but do 5X5 of the heaviest weight u can manage. Yor gains will come quicker, and it will prove to be much more useful.

It isn't nearly that bad. I used to use a similiar system and made good gains. The key is not allowing your body to adapt to any one routine. If you do your five sets of five reps for too long, your body will stop making gains as quickly, or possibly stop gaining anything.

Rob45
11-28-06, 10:56 PM
Wow sounds like most of you guys have a pretty intence workout routines. All im doing is maxing out on push ups, sit ups, pull ups and running as much as possible (1-5 miles) like every day or every other day. also doing my once a week PT function with the RSS. Sounds like i need get with the freekin program but i dont know what i should be doing or what i need to be doing. any advice?

proachbass91
11-29-06, 12:12 PM
Wow sounds like most of you guys have a pretty intence workout routines. All im doing is maxing out on push ups, sit ups, pull ups and running as much as possible (1-5 miles) like every day or every other day. also doing my once a week PT function with the RSS. Sounds like i need get with the freekin program but i dont know what i should be doing or what i need to be doing. any advice?

Training to failure is debatable but most prefessionals say it is not worth it. Break your work out down into more sets. It is the volume (Sets X reps X weight) that is going to help. And as E4B said vary your routine every couple of weeks.

Achped
11-29-06, 05:33 PM
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4769/w00tqb4.jpg

Semper Pooldelis. ;)

SmokeyBandit
11-29-06, 05:53 PM
Hey, it's John Wayne...lol

Accord
11-29-06, 07:19 PM
You need to tilt the helmet at a 45 degree helmet.

ZooKeeper
11-29-06, 07:41 PM
http://www.tigerboard.com/userimages/cutepoolee.jpg

sorry, you asked for it :p

Achped
11-29-06, 08:09 PM
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3030/ach3copyal4vn1.jpg

ZooKeeper
11-29-06, 08:28 PM
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3030/ach3copyal4vn1.jpg

nicely done Rambo.

proachbass91
11-30-06, 10:57 AM
Airsoft?

Achped
11-30-06, 03:33 PM
Nope, just got it that day. Olympic Arms XM177

jcdc1
12-01-06, 06:51 PM
I don't know why you guys are trying to bulk up. If I was a poolee and I knew what I know now I would be doing 4 sets and 10-12 reps of everything and running at least 3-5 miles A DAY. preferrably 5 miles. You all have different routines. Some I see, are better than others but who cares, for now, as long as your weight training. For boot camp, though, muscle endurance will help better than having a barrel chest and python arms like me, LOL:nerd:

SEMPER FI,
Pete

p.s. stretch, stretch,stretch.
Can you say achiles tendonitis

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-01-06, 10:43 PM
**caution--rant Alert**

get Your Mother Effing Finger Off Of The Trigger!!!!

Achped
12-02-06, 10:40 AM
Echo Four Bravo, I had a picture with my finger off the trigger, as is every pic I've ever taken. But, in this pic for some reason it made my finger look like ET's alien pointer. It just looked incredibly long and gangly, Accord will vouch for that too, that I have really long weird looking pictures.

I just thought it would look better. I understand your point though and it is noted and will not happen again. For the record though I had inspected that thing about a million times before my finger even touched the trigger so I wasn't worried about anything. Still I know that's no excuse and I shoudln't do it. As a matter of fact that picture is on my Myspace and here's what my PFC buddy had to say of that.

"Do we not remember our 4 weapons safety rules? Rule 3: Finger straight and off the trigger until your ready to fire, Devil Dog."

SmokeyBandit
12-02-06, 10:11 PM
It just looked incredibly long and gangly...that I have really long weird looking pictures.

I just thought it would look better.

Gotta go and try to be all cute looking...

lol, jk with ya

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-02-06, 11:09 PM
I will readily admit to breaking that rule after careful inspection of my weapon. Heck, I practice dry fire for about 45 minutes a day in my house. But it is one of the Marine Corps four BIG rules about weapon safety, so the NCO in my had to have a little fit about it.

CPLWARREN
12-06-06, 09:49 AM
All i have to say,

Is get use to running at least Mon, Wed, Fri. Those are PT days while you are in. You can use Tuesday, Thursday and your weekends to do other training. Like working on your inspection gear/uniforms or sounding off with go to go cadence. Nothing worse then when someone gets called out in a run to sing cadence and they can't think of anything.

Drink more beer!

Semper Fi

CPLWARREN
12-06-06, 09:51 AM
Here is a link to some different cadence.

http://home.inreach.com/marine/usmc11.html

Drink more Beer!

Semper Fi.

Accord
12-06-06, 09:54 AM
All i have to say,

Is get use to running at least Mon, Wed, Fri. Those are PT days while you are in. You can use Tuesday, Thursday and your weekends to do other training. Like working on your inspection gear/uniforms or sounding off with go to go cadence. Nothing worse then when someone gets called out in a run to sing cadence and they can't think of anything.

Drink more beer!

Semper Fi
Do the Drill Instructor's in boot camp ever call out any recruits to call cadence?

CPLWARREN
12-06-06, 10:35 AM
They did when i was in boot camp. Not sure how often they do it, but our Senior D.I. did towards the end of our training.