PDA

View Full Version : (U.S. oldest WW 1 vet dies at 111) Ernest Pusey:

thedrifter
11-22-06, 02:15 PM
U.S. oldest WW 1 vet dies at 111. Ernest Pusey: Veteran, neighbor made history

Ernest Pusey saw himself as an ordinary guy even after becoming famous for living an extraordinarily long life.

Mr. Pusey, 111, died in his home in Manatee Memorial Park on Sunday morning just nine days after receiving an award from Gov. Jeb Bush for being the oldest War World I veteran in the United States. He was a veteran of the U.S. Navy and served as a fireman aboard the USS Wyoming.

He was believed to be the third oldest man in the world.

Mr. Pusey outlived two wives and his son. He is survived by a daughter-in-law, four grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

"We're happy that we had so many years with him," said his daughter-in-law, Dora Pusey. "He was fortunate to have lived that long."

Gov. Bush issued a statement Tuesday afternoon after being informed of the death: "I was deeply saddened to learn that Mr. Pusey had passed away. It was my privilege to meet with him on Veterans Day and award him a World War I Victory Medal for his service to America. We should not forget him, and other veterans, who sacrificed so much for this country."

Though acclaimed for his longevity, Mr. Pusey was still young at heart in many ways, family members said. Pusey loved to fish and he loved women.

For his 111th birthday, Mr. Pusey invited belly dancers from Sarasota to perform for him and his guests.

Rose Barton, who was his nurse for 15 years, met Mr. Pusey when he needed help taking care of his ailing wife. "Ernie," as everyone calls him, was on the go until the last few years, she said. Barton loved working around the house with him and giving him a hand preparing for his fishing trips.

"I will miss that," she said. "It's been a pleasure knowing him."

Mr. Pusey's energy also caught the attention of neighbors who often saw him taking a stroll around the park.

Pauline Jenner said that after his walks, Pusey would stop by to chat.

"He loved company. You could see in his face that he was happy to have people around him," she said.

When Mr. Pusey's health began to decline, he started using a cane.

Trouble with his legs kept him from climbing the steps to her mobile home, so he banged on the side of her house so that she could help him up the steps.

"Every year, I would shake my head and say, 'I can't believe he's still hanging in there,' " Jenner said.

A viewing will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday followed by an funeral at 11 at Mansion Memorial Park and Funeral Home in Ellenton. Full military honors will be rendered by the U.S. Navy.

Rest In Peace

Ellie

GySgtRet
11-22-06, 02:19 PM
Rest in Peace.