PDA

View Full Version : Thomaston Marines return from stint in Iraq

thedrifter
11-21-06, 04:00 PM
1/21/2006
Thomaston Marines return from stint in Iraq
By JOHNNY J. BURNHAM , The Thomaston Express

THOMASTON - It's been less than three years since Shawn Kennedy and Cult Szczygiel walked out of Thomaston High School as graduates. Since that time, their lives have changed.

They've seen things most peopole will never see and some may never wish to see as their work has taken them halfway around the world to Iraq.

The duo made their way back to their alma mater last week in a rather unique fashion, aboard a Black Hawk helicopter.

Upon their return, the 21-year-old Kennedy and Szczygiel, 20, said they're happy with the decision they made to enter the Marines -happy to serve their country.

But, they're both certainly happy to be home, in the friendly confines of Thomaston.

"We haven't been in town in almost a year," said Szczygiel. "It's feels really nice to be home."

Both Thomaston High School graduates are lance corporals in the Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 25th Marines out of Plainville.

"This has been a life changing experience," said Kennedy. "It's definitely a once in a lifetime experience."

The Thomaston duo is fresh off an 11-month absence from their hometown as they underwent four months of training followed by a seven-month tour of duty in the heart of Fallujah, Iraq.

According to Szczygiel, Plainville's 25th Marines were directly intertwined with working and training Iraqi police. In addition, he said one of their main focuses was securing the hostile city while protecting its people.

He added that where the Iraqi people are sick of the violence, sick of the fighting, they thoroughly appreciate all the United States has done in providing them their freedom.

Several times, Szczygiel said, the country's people personally thanked him and his band of brothers.

Kennedy described the situation in Iraq as "slowly, but steadily progressing."

While overseas, both Kennedy and Szczygiel said they saw it all.

"It's hard to describe," said Szczygiel. "It touched on every emotion you can think of."

But, through all the two have seen, all the happiness, sadness, fear and joy that the two young men have experienced, combined with the continual questioning of the war in Iraq from the American people, neither said they would trade it in for the world.

Neither regrets the choice to enter the military and not only serve their country but protect their fellow man around the world.

"No regrets. [The military] has given me so many perks," Kennedy said.

Szczygiel added, "I've never regretted a thing. It's what I wanted to be a part of for a longtime. I still love it."

Where their return home has been emotional, it has the potential to be short lived. Once their leave expires on Nov. 30, they may be recalled to duty at anytime. Both said they would have no objections in doing so and doing so together, side by side with their brothers of the 25th Marines.

"It's great to go with someone you know, someone who's a friend," said Szczygiel of Kennedy. "It's almost like going with family."

Ellie