PDA

View Full Version : Recruiters Beware

tkmac58
11-21-06, 03:40 PM
I havent posted anything for awhile, after the election things kind of slowed a bit. I want to start by wishing every Marine living and/or gone to heaven "Happy 231st Birthday". Thats how I am going start out my post, I have been retired now for almost 14 months after 27 great years in the Corps, I had my good and bad times but after being out here for a year I really miss belonging to a family. A few weeks ago I decided to attend the Marine Corps Ball with my bride of 22 years, we attended the Recruiting Station Oklahoma City Marine Recruiting ball at the Marriot. Yes I got pretty wasted, drank and toasted a few shots, and boogied the night away. I will always love the ceremony, and hoopla of our birthday balls until the day I die. This year I could sense allot of changes in our fellow Marines, at least in the recruiting arena. Most of our young recruiters today have done 1-2 tours in Iraq, some have purple hearts, bronze stars and silver stars, and most of them volunteered. Either they were trying to get a break from deployments or they(and I believe that most of them) are trying to make a difference. I spent 15-16 years on Recruiting duty after 10 years in the fleet and the far east so I can know what is right and wrong to this duty. Me and my wife were seated next to my old recruiters who are now NCOICs and have there own recruiters. I would not of had it any other way, these are good men and loyalty is there middle name. They seemed troubled and not motovated to me, when I asked what was going on they sang like birds. The things I heard embarassed me and left me very disapointed in the way buisness is being conducted. Here are a couple thing I want to share;

1. GPS tracking systems on all govs.
2. Senior SNCOs being called liars and being investigated about everything.
3. New Recruiters fresh out of Recruiting School being told at all levels to call the CO, SGTMAJ or Recruiter Instructor if the NCOIC does something they perceive as wrong, or there work hours, or if they get harassed or picked on, they have also left the door open for there wives. The rumor is that they are also being told this in Recruiting school.

Now is this happening because the military is in the spotlight because of the war, the media, the minimul amount of recruiting fraud. Its seems to me that the recruiters in the Corps are kicking ass on active duty enlistments, so what the **** is happening. This info comes from a GySgt and and a meritorious SSgt, one with combat tours
The GPS thing is BS!!!!!!! And it is because a few ****ed up, DWI, Speeding, taking them home etc.. Its kind of funny is that in my days especially earlier in the biz, Officers, SNCOs all took there GOVs home. GPS is not the answer when your dealing with Marines that most have given sacrifice after sacrifice to our Corps. One of my big Pet peeves is that you have Career Recruiters 8412s who have been to boot camp, mos school, one year at a base, and 20 years on recruiting and are MSgts, MGYSgts, etc. and some were reservists and have never seen the fleet. I was an 8412 but did my time and never forgot who I was and what these Marines mean to me. I always believed in tough love and respect. My father was a Korean war Marine (Chosin) and said that Chesty was what a man was about. I have Marines on this website that will tell you what I am about. I have been relieved, shot at, screwed over, ****ed over, but I always fought back because the Corps is about us, its an enlisted Corps that will not die.
I got off the subject a bit, I am concerned and cant be convinced about why this is the right way to do things. I can not explain everything right now, but I want to communicate with all of you to get your opinion, you dont have to be PC about it, we are not disrespecting the Corps or breaking the law, we as Marines have to make a difference, just like the old recruiting video, "Such as regiments pass down", we need to continue to pass down for good or bad.
Last time I posted I received over 100 replys, so lets kick some ass and maybe the right person will be listening. Even if you dont like recruiters please give me your opinion, I didnt like my recruiter either, but I wanted to be a Marine.

Semper Fi
TKMAC58

YLDNDN6
11-21-06, 04:08 PM
I got the poop a few weeks ago about several women enlistees/poolees reporting that their recruiters were sexually abusing them, and using their authority as the girls' ticket into the Corps (or...

GySgtRet
11-21-06, 05:26 PM
from April 1980 - June 1983. My Commanding Officer was then Major Pace now Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff. This is not about recruiting or the way things are done this is the way it is beacuse at least on my promotion warrants it has words such as; trust and confidence. And the oath of enlistments that I took read something like protect and defend against enimies foreign and domestic. To some these up they arn't just words they used to mean something/ I feel that they are just words now and have no meaning in the Marine Corps.

Trust, what an important part of being a Marine. To trust a fellow Marine with your life and not trust that the job is getting done? Well, let me tell you all something right here and now. The command groups that are letting crap like this happen are brining shame into my beloved Marine Corps. We trusted these Marines with the lives of other Marines and cilivilians and yet we cannot trust them for a "B" billet?

Confidence, this states that I am very confident in your abilities to get the mission accomplished. Your are not waivering in your comminment to the mission placed upon you by the MOS and or billet you are holding. This may seem very harsh to some and believe me I am not PC to any degree here. Damn Marines of my day and that isn't very long ago had pride in what they did how they looked what they did in public, etc... Now we have to have babysitters in the command element? Shame again.

Our oath of enlistment has a seperate but a binding in words that cannot be misconstruded into anything but being loyal to God, Country, and Corps. I now am a Docent as a volunteer at the National Museum of the Marine Corps. Boys and girls let me tell you something. I have had the distinct pleasure in meeting and speaking with survivors of Iwo Gima, Tarawa, Guadla Canal, and a lot of other battles the my Marines Corps has had the
Distinction of leading the way for freedom. These are the men of distingtion I am speaking of they have heart, they know the meaning of sacrifice, not that the recruiters that you speak of don't poses these qualities maybe they just haven't been guided in the right direction to recognize that they have these leadership traits. It is the responsibility of every SNCO to make sure that this happens. I don't give a damn if the current policy states that you can't do it that way screw a bunch of political crap and lets get my Marine Corps back. I amnot saying old corps here or anything like this lets get back to leadership, I think that is the only thing that is lacking here. After that has been restablished then maybe we can turst and have the confidence in our Marines again.

I have read on this and other sites that Marine Recruiters are raping and having sleepovers with poolees. WTF Over? This only feeds the negative. If it accomplished something other than a good Marine getting into trouble then not problem. When I went on recuiting duty I was a 29 year old SSgt. I reported in confident that I would overcome all odds. Not because the CO had a mission over my head, not because the RI would have ripped my lips off for rolling donuts. Because I had pride and the backing of every single Marine at RS Buffalo that is why I had a sucessful tour. I had as far as I am concerned the best Marine Commanding Officer in the Marine Corps past, present, and future. Maybe I am just a rambling old Marine to some of you devel dogs I don't care what you think...!!! Get down to the task and stop embarrasing me and the Marine Corps.

I want to thank every Marine that reads this for their service.

Semper Fi

tkmac58
11-22-06, 02:03 PM
These are isolated and some are unfounded, these happen everywhere, the fleet, other branches, corporate america, etc. and all are isolated cases and will be prosecuted if caught. The extreme pressure to succeed for the 95% good Marines is hard enough before you put in GPS etc. Have you been on this duty, I have Marines that compare the personal stress to being shot at, sounds crazy but true. All of this boils down to losing Command and Control in certain cases, leadership, discipline, management, Traits and Principles. New NCOICs that are there because of high recruiting numbers, some are selfish, some are distracted, some are surviving, some are overwhelmed. This also includes that upper echelon to. YOU HAVE TO KNOW YOUR MEN< YOU HAVE TO LEAD LIKE A MARINE< YOU CANNOT SHOW FEAR< YOU CANNOT SACRIFICE MARINES TO SAVE YOUR ASS> YOUR CAREERISM STARTS THE DAY YOU SELL YOUR SOUL< IF A MARINE IS RAPING LITTLE GIRLS OR USING HIS INFLUENCE TO GET SEX I WILL FIND OUT< YOU WANT REFERENCES I CAN GIVE YOU A BOAT LOAD> my point is that we react with measures that dont work, what if those recruiters wanted to get relieved or booted, it happens, I am not picking on no one and I agree with your last paragraph. This problem will get bigger and than we will start missing mission, and more rule will come in to play...Pray for the Corps, Thank God for the Marines today,
thank god for CPL D and Sgt P. we love you!

TKMAC58