View Full Version : 2 Stories; Father and Son

virwar
01-25-03, 05:36 PM
I got this in an e-mail from my father. I hope you all enjoy it. <br />
<br />
STORY NUMBER ONE: <br />
<br />
World War II produced many heroes. One such man was Lieutenant <br />
Commander Butch O'Hare. He was a fighter...

thedrifter
01-26-03, 06:57 AM
GARDEN CITY, N.Y.(April 9, 2002) -- Sergeant Major Anthony Hope graduated from Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, S.C. in 1978 as his recruit company's Honor Grad. Twenty-three years later his son, Joseph, did the same.

"I was more proud seeing my son march across the parade deck than I was the day I marched across if that could be possible," said Hope, currently serving as the sergeant major for Recruiting Station Buffalo, N.Y. Private First Class Joseph Hope graduated from Marine Corps recruit training Jan. 4, and is currently at Heavy Equipment Diesel Mechanic School at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. He is set to graduate Friday with orders for Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C.

According to the senior Hope, the decision to become a Marine was entirely his son's idea.

"I never pushed him to become a Marine," said the sergeant major. "He was on his way to Auto Diesel College in Nashville, when he decided he could learn as much in the Marines and be able to carry the title United States Marine."

Though he had graduated from recruit training as the Honor Graduate, Hope says he didn't hold it to his son to do the same.

"Never in a million years did I expect him to graduate as an honor grad," Hope said. "I know that he lived through 18 years of boot camp with me and knew the discipline and the drive to succeed was there ... I just never expected him to be the honor grad."

Since the younger Hope's graduation, the sergeant major says the bond between father and son has strengthened with the relationship between Marines.

"There isn't a day that goes by when we're not on the phone with each other. If he has a question, I am the first person he calls and that makes me feel good," said Hope. "There is an indescribable bond between my son and myself."

Recruiting Station Buffalo's sergeant major says his son is enjoying his time in the Corps so far, and looks forward to getting to his next duty station. As for Sgt Maj. Hope, he hopes for one more event to culminate the father-son Marine Corps experience. "We hope to be stationed on the same base before I have to retire."

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
01-26-03, 06:59 AM
By Sgt. Brian J. Griffin
11th MEU
August 3, 2002

ABOARD THE USS DENVER -- For CWO-2 Armando Garcia, Battalion Landing Team 3/1 Gunner, taking his son on a six-month deployment with him never crossed his mind.

At least not until the Marine Corps sent both his son, Cpl. Armando Garcia, and him to BLT 3/1, 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable). Now the father and son team are traveling the world together, just on different ships.

"I see deploying together as being something unique, out of the ordinary and a great opportunity for me and my son," said CWO-2 Garcia, aboard the USS Belleau Wood (LHA-3). "We had to leave our family back in San Diego, but at every port, we reunite with each other. It is just like having a piece of home wherever we are."

Corporal Garcia, who lives on the USS Denver (LPD-9), understands the deployment with his father is something not many people get to experience.

"My dad and I went out and had dinner while out on liberty in Singapore," Cpl. Garcia said. "How many people can say that?"

Both father and son also point out the fact they get to watch over one another and make sure each stays safe.

"I'm concerned at times from the parent standpoint, but I know the training provided has prepared him for anything, and that puts me at ease," CWO-2 Garcia said.

Worry not only falls on the father's shoulders, but also the son's, who has the same concerns about his father. "Of course I naturally worry about him because he's my father, but I know he can take care of himself and he knows I can take care of myself," Cpl. Garcia said. "It does make me more comfortable though."

Sergeant Jose Bernal, a friend of the family also on the deployment, sees this as a good experience for the Garcias, and is also slightly envious of their opportunity to deploy together.

"One of the best parts must be they don't have to worry about each other as much," Bernal said. "They know almost exactly what the other is doing because they are with each other, just on different ships. Seeing them together makes me wish I had my dad here also."

Traveling the world as a father and son team is a rare experience for Marines, and the Garcias know it. They are looking forward to future stops and spending time together.

"I'm looking forward to visiting other places in the world with my dad," Cpl. Garcia said. "This is really something not many other people can say they have done."

His dad couldn't agree with him more, as he looks forward to spending time together with his son on deployment. Then when the deployment is over, he looks forward going home together to tell stories about his once in a lifetime opportunity to have his son on deployment with him.

"I'm glad we're here together. This is a great opportunity for both of us," CWO-2 Garcia said. "We are looking forward to a safe return together back to the States."

Sempers,

Roger