PDA

View Full Version : Marines' top officer candidate is CASHS graduate

thedrifter
11-21-06, 09:26 AM
Marines' top officer candidate is CASHS graduate
By Tracy Panzer Staff writer
Chambersburg Public Opinion

The halftime ceremony at Saturday's West Virginia University football game will be about more than music for a Chambersburg graduate as he receives a national military award for his achievements at officer candidate school in Quantico, Va.

Lance Cpl. Stephen Wellman, 21, will receive the United States Marine Corps Commandant's Trophy -- the highest award bestowed on officer candidates -- during a ceremony at Saturday's game against the University of South Florida.

Wellman learned of his honor just days before his Aug. 18 graduation from the school. But on Monday he was modest about his accomplishments.

"It's a good feeling (to receive this award)," Wellman said. "It definitely gives me more confidence in myself."

Wellman, one of 170 students in this summer's program, said the Commandant's Trophy is given to the top officer candidate in the class. Students are evaluated on academics, physical fitness and leadership, according to a release issued by WVU, during the intensive six-week program.

"I am overjoyed. I am extremely proud of my son," said his mother, Debora, of Chambersburg.

She said she will be at the game Saturday, along with Wellman's three brothers and grandparents.

"We're so very proud of him," she said, "and we definitely want to be there."

Capt. Fabyan Smith, retired Gen. Earl E. Anderson and retired Maj. Gen. Kenneth D. Gray will present Wellman with the trophy during Saturday's halftime festivities. Wellman will then pass along the trophy -- engraved with his name and the names of past recipients -- to WVU President David C. Hardesty Jr.

"Only one college has the honor of displaying the trophy a year," according to the release. "WVU plans to house the bronze Marine statue in the Mountainlair Vandalia Lounge in recognition of his achievements."

Wellman is a 2003 graduate of Chambersburg Area Senior High School, and a sophomore criminology major at West Virginia University. Upon graduation from high school, he enlisted in the Marine Corps, and went through boot camp in Parris Island, S.C.

He joined a reserve unit in Moundsville, W.Va., and was deployed to Iraq for nearly eight months in 2005 with Company K 3rd Battalion 25th Marine Regiment.

Wellman, whose three siblings each serve in different branches of the military, said he plans to make the marines his career. Upon earning his degree, he said he will be commissioned to second lieutenant, and hopes to be accepted into a two-year flight school.

"My whole family is pretty much in the military," Wellman said. "I guess you could say it's kind of like a family tradition for us."

----------

Tracy Panzer can be reached at tpanzer@publicopinionnews.com or 262-4754.

Ellie