PDA

View Full Version : Question for ALL poolees and Marines: What are some fun things to do before shipping?

Accord
11-20-06, 05:45 PM
I ship to boot exactly 49 days from tomorrow. I'm trying to think of things that I should do, would be fun, exciting, etc. to do in these last 49 days that I have but I can't think of anything. I've already been to every vacation spot, amusement park, sporting event, etc. that i've wanted to go to and I honestly can't think of anything else that I want to do before I leave.

Poolees: If you were in my position with only 49 days left, what types of things would you want to do besides the obvious spending time with family?

MARINES: What types of things did you do before you shipped? Anything fun, exciting, interesting, etc.?

Soon2BeVIP
11-20-06, 05:51 PM
Me personally...I'll probably go to a concert with some moshing. Last chance to be completely unruly. I really don't know...I'm interested in seeing these answers to because I don't really know what I'd do...

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-20-06, 07:47 PM
If it is something that you think this will be your last chance to do, then you probably should stay away from it. Anything that will get you into trouble 50 days from now will get you into trouble now as well.

I would just spend as much time as possible with your friends and family. Things won't ever be like they are now again, so enjoy it while you can. Sit back, relax, and have a good time. Continue your PT schedule, but don't stress about it unless you know you're behind.

Master Sephiroth
11-20-06, 07:56 PM
I'm no poolee or Marine, but I suggest you spend time with family

jackson07
11-20-06, 09:23 PM
Hang out with your friends. This might be the last time you really get to do so. From what I am told things are very different when you come home. You will be a completly different person (as I am sure you are aware of). Take advantage of what you have now. Go see some movies, eat out at your favorite places, etc.

clemdog
11-20-06, 11:01 PM
PT! You'll be glad you did!

hawks
11-20-06, 11:30 PM
I'm having the same problem with mine really. I ship May 14th, and my finals week is from like the 7-11. So its going to be kind of stressful that week, so hopefully I cna get my professors to move my tests to Monday and Tuesday. My classes really shouldnt be that hard though. I'm definatly going to being playing baseball for my semi-pro team till the 13th.
But one of my friends told me to just splurge on junk food the last few days. And not to really worry about PT, because if you are already ahead a few days is not going to make or break you. Also I plan on doing a bunch of 12 oz curls before hand anyways.

One thing I've noticed that since I have signed my contract, I've been a lot more relaxed and a lot more up for anything. It seems that I always go out and have a good time instead of say spending a night in to do some studying. My grades have actually went up also. It really puts your life into perspective for sure. It also gives you a lot more confidence with a lot of other things in life too.

Barrette
11-20-06, 11:43 PM
I'm in the same position your in 47 days til ship date and I have no idea what to do it seems like I want to do so much in so little time... family wants to spend time with me and so do friends its hard to balence it out... I'm at the point right now where all I want to do is leave for bootcamp already I was nice and calm until about 2 weeks ago when I started to get anxiouse... I guess I'll be eating at favorite places and do what I like to do until day 0....

Marine Shu
11-20-06, 11:56 PM
I would spend a lot of time with my family and friends. And PT PT PT!!

MotivatorJames
11-21-06, 12:09 AM
Go skydiving, its an incredible experience, kind of pricy though.

MC88
11-21-06, 12:55 AM
PT, Hang with Friends, Spend All the time you can with Family! Its what I'm doing now I ship out in Jan.

Master Sephiroth
11-21-06, 06:45 AM
And if you have, spend some time with your better halfs, because next time she (or he) sees you, you'll be in uniform.

Marine84
11-21-06, 07:31 AM
get laid.....................often as you can

Cpl BAJA
11-21-06, 07:49 AM
Good advice!!!...that's good PT (LOL)

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-21-06, 10:59 AM
Marine84, he is a young guy that is in the process of becoming a Marine. That tells me all I need to know- I am positive he is already following your advice, and has been for quite some time.

Marine84
11-21-06, 12:24 PM
Marine84, he is a young guy that is in the process of becoming a Marine. That tells me all I need to know- I am positive he is already following your advice, and has been for quite some time.

LOL!

Adam1988
11-21-06, 02:46 PM
Don't defend yourself if you're getting jumped.

rktect3j
11-21-06, 03:08 PM
I know this will sound a bit silly, but. Start a journal as soon as possible about your life as it is today. About your family and friends. The way you act towards them and they to you. Day to day events. The things that matter to you. Keep another journal while in boot. Keep doing it for well as long as possible. Go back and read that some time in the future or especially after boot camp. You will definatly get a kick out of it every time you read it.

Do not write anything in there you could get in trouble for.

JoeSzynal
11-21-06, 07:29 PM
Don't get married.

Soon2BeVIP
11-21-06, 08:43 PM
I know this will sound a bit silly, but. Start a journal as soon as possible about your life as it is today. About your family and friends. The way you act towards them and they to you. Day to day events. The things that matter to you. Keep another journal while in boot. Keep doing it for well as long as possible. Go back and read that some time in the future or especially after boot camp. You will definatly get a kick out of it every time you read it.

Do not write anything in there you could get in trouble for.

That's what I actually did. I luckily started it right when recruiters came to my house the first time just to talk to me. I have entries from times they were talking to me telling me about the Corps. Me writing about the pros and cons. I have me writing about my MEPS day. Then when I had mini bootcamp. I already get kicks reading my summer entries about the first talks I had with them. I can't wait to see what I think of my old self in a year

TylerA23
11-21-06, 09:34 PM
so far Marine84 has the best ideas yet... in my opinion... Get Some!!!
I know its worked for me, when girls hear I am shipping out for the Corps 3 days after
high school graduation... they seem to think I'll never be home again and wanna "get it in all they can before I leave".
so....
GET SOME!!!
-Tyler

Cpl BAJA
11-22-06, 07:37 AM
Accord...I don't know if you have see this already, but check it out.
http://www.marines.cc/downloads/MCO/MCO-1510.32D.pdf

rktect3j
11-22-06, 09:04 AM
so far Marine84 has the best ideas yet... in my opinion... Get Some!!!
I know its worked for me, when girls hear I am shipping out for the Corps 3 days after
high school graduation... they seem to think I'll never be home again and wanna "get it in all they can before I leave".
so....
GET SOME!!!
-Tyler
I'd be careful with that. Don't get dropped for an STD. Don't find out in boot you are the father of a child.

quillhill
11-22-06, 01:52 PM
Well, I am also not a member of the Marine Corps or a wannabe, but having watched my brother in law go through this stuff last year before he went to training (he's in the Air Force) if I may, let me offer some suggestions:

-If something comes up that you want to do and you can fit it into your schedule, go for it. If you can include your friends and/or family, do it.
-If you have a good relationship with your family, make an effort to spend time with them. You will be glad for it later and they will be glad for it now as well as later. Trust me.
-If you have a significant other, but you're not married, tell them now to be prepared for things to get rocky and that the relationship may not survive. They may not want to hear this, but do it anyway. Don't feel obliged to spend every waking minute with that person, though, before you leave. You'll hate yourself for that later.
-Enjoy life. This, at times, may be difficult, because you're probably going to freak out at some point about the fact you're on the verge of a major, life changing experience. Don't take this as license to be an idiot, though.
-And I totally agree with the idea for the journal. Especially for the moment(s), however brief it/they may be, you freak out, get nervous, question your decision. I suspect that at some point before you graduate you will realize that you've made the best decision ever in your life and will think back on how you're feeling before you head off and be amazed.

Good luck with your time before you ship. I am excited for you. I know you've worked hard to get to this point.

WanderWannabe
11-22-06, 02:23 PM
4 days to go for me. I'm staying in shape during the day, spending time with my wife during the middle, and drinking every night. Also, sleeping quite a bit. I think I'm going to miss all the above...

Marine84
11-22-06, 03:27 PM
I'm staying in shape during the day, spending time with my wife during the middle, and drinking every night. Also, sleeping quite a bit. I think I'm going to miss all the above...

You won't miss the staying in shape - you'll get a pretty good workout every day.

You may miss your wife but only at night and towards the end of bootcamp - the rest of the time you'll be so busy you won't think about her.

You'll miss having a beer because there will be PLENTY of times when you wish you had one just because.

You'll miss sleep for the first few weeks but you adjust to your new "schedule" after that and it's not so bad. I was there during the summer months and it was hard as hell for me to go to sleep when it stayed light until 9 at night.