PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what Motor T is like.

Bret
11-20-06, 12:30 PM
Hey you all! I know I need to be conserned about getting trough boot first and I am but I'd like for any Marine thats in this feild can tell me what its like and what to expect. If I do happin to make it through Marine boot, I would want to know about this MOS before ahead of time. I leave this Monday afternoon just to let you all know. Take care all!:iwo:

Master Sephiroth
11-20-06, 12:37 PM
PM SSgt. Nelson. He was Motor T

GrecianHoney
11-20-06, 12:50 PM
When I lived on base my best friends husband was Motor T.....he was basically transportation & they would be the mechanics & fix the transportation whether it was a truck or Hum-V .From what I understand that is what Motor -T was about.My husband is not Motor -T but is Field artillery & he says thier are 3 loves of his life.Me ,the kids & field artillery.He's a die hard marine & he would say to give Field artillery a glance as well....either way you will have awesome memories of the Marine Corps,it is something you will always look back & reminiss about.Take care sweetie & thanks for wanting to serve your country.....that makes me proud of you already.Semper Fi & good luck with bootcamp!

Angel

jinelson
11-20-06, 12:52 PM
Well Bret the time has just about come for you to meet the challenge that you have fought so long to meet. I was a 3531 motor vehicle operator and loved that MOS. After you earn the title and successfully complete MCT you will go to MT school at Fort Leonardwood MO yeah its a doggie base lol.
I wish you the best of luck and know that you will give it your all and then some. See you in 3 months Bret as a Marine and brother.

Jim
Here's a story about what its like to be a driver for the Corps in Iraq.

A Day In The Life Of Motor Transport
Oct. 7, 2006; Submitted on: 10/07/2006 07:32:45 AM ; Story ID#: 200610773245

By Lance Cpl. Ryan L. Tomlinson, 1st Marine Logistics Group

AL ASAD, Iraq (Oct. 7, 2006) -- Endless days of traveling across the hot, unforgiving desert of Iraq, that might be how to best describe the lives of some Marines engaged in operations throughout Al Anbar province. They travel along roads susceptible to attack by improvised explosive devices, rocket-propelled grenades and small-arms fire.

Motor-vehicle operators with 3rd Platoon, Combat Logistics Company 111, Combat Logistics Battalion 1, Combat Logistics Regiment 1, 1st Marine Logistics Group (Forward), are not strangers to this lifestyle.

“It’s hours of pure driving or sitting on a (weapon mount) without knowing if you’re going to get blown up (by a road side bomb) or get shot at,” said Lance Cpl. Christopher J. Chaviano, 20, a machine gunner with 3rd Platoon and native of Long Beach, Calif. “It’s a hard job, but a great job.”

The platoon engages in re-supply missions throughout Al Anbar province at least three times a week, running operations from base to base to supply other units with what they need to complete their mission, said Staff Sgt. Michael W. Nichols, 30, platoon sergeant for 3rd Platoon.

He added that re-supply missions are essential to the freedom of Iraq, an objective they’ve been fighting for over the past three years.

Motor-vehicle operators explain that the job is stressful but despite the challenges, they still maintain a positive attitude and focus on the mission.

“My platoon is very spirited. No matter what happens, they are always upbeat,” said 2nd Lt. Wesley B. Lippman, 25, platoon commander of 3rd Platoon and a Darien, Conn., native.

Their positive attitudes are a reflection of their leadership’s enthusiasm.

“My platoon is awesome. Our staff sergeant and platoon commander have pushed us together,” said Chaviano. “We are all like brothers.”

The platoon has been together for five months and commonly refers to each other as family.

“My platoon is like my family. I would do anything for them,” said Lance Cpl. Pedro L. Guzman, 21, a motor vehicle operator with 3rd Platoon and a native of Bronx, N.Y. “If they needed me to tow 20 trucks with one truck, I would do it for them.”

“We have built this bond and this camaraderie,” said Nichols, a Laplace, La., native. “In fact, I am confident that everyone in my platoon would take a bullet for me and I would do the same for them.”

The Marines agree that unit cohesion helps them strive for perfection.

“We as a platoon see ourselves as the best, so we make it our goal to be the best,” said Pfc. Benjamin R. Nadall, 19, a motor-vehicle operator with 3rd Platoon.

The endless day in the hot sun payoff when the Marines go home knowing they completed their mission.

“The most rewarding factor is the fact that I can go home knowing that I did something to better myself and learned a lot about life,” said Nadall, a Dallas, native.

Third Platoon members will continue their mission to re-supply bases around Al Anbar Province to ensure the success of Operation Iraqi Freedom until they travel back to the Unites States in spring 2007.

FistFu68
11-20-06, 02:25 PM
:usmc: GOD~SPEED,BRET~WALK TALL, YOUNG MAN;YOU'R IN GIANT~COUNTRY:usmc:

crzyredneck
11-20-06, 03:09 PM
No offense SSGT Nelson, But why you calling where i live a doggie base? Lol.... Though you got a point. I am from Fort Leonardwood, Actually just right outside of it, though i enlisted in the Marine corp, from lebanon due to it being the closest depot for me to talk with. But myself i am going to Basic Jan 3rd and to be honest im actually quite excited about it, though i am not going to be Motor T, i am going to be Crash Fire and Rescue, once i earn the title, and complete MCT.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-20-06, 03:42 PM
Marines don't go to basic, they go to boot camp. Ft. Lost in the woods is, in fact an Army base- which makes it a doggie base, because soldiers are doggies or dog faces.

Bret
11-21-06, 10:54 PM
so when im in motor T, will I be operating vechiles and also bein a mech or is just doin one of them? Do I get my CDL while bein in motor T? I asked my recruiter and he didnt know for sure. So if any you all can tell me by experience, please do! Aslo another Q. What do motor-T Marines operate? Anything from tanks to hummves? I have no idea and would like to know. THX AGAIN FOR ALL UR HELP!:thumbup:

Christiansen
11-21-06, 11:05 PM
Here's the homepage of Marine Corps Detachment-Ft. Leonard Wood:

http://mcdetflw.tecom.usmc.mil/

Heres the Motor Transport page, along with what looks to be some course summaries and pictures of vehicles used:

http://mcdetflw.tecom.usmc.mil/MTIC/MT.asp

Google is an amazing thing...

Achped
11-21-06, 11:13 PM
FYI Bret, my friend is a reservist motor vehicle operator and got his CDL free of charge courtesy uncle sam :)

Bullrider
02-26-07, 11:26 PM
I actually a few questions

But what about life outside of Iraq?, is it just driving and delivering necessities to others.

Is the CDL that the Marine Corps provides nationally accepted?

And what are the odds of ending up as a mechanic?, when im at MOS school do I hang around the mechanics and show a strong interest?

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-27-07, 12:08 AM
WOW, blast from the past with this thread.

I'm not, nor have I ever been Motor T, so I won't answer most of this.

But, your MOS is assigned. You can be assigned to be a driver or a mechanic. It has nothing to do with you asking to do it, it is just how you're assigned by the Corps.

Bullrider
02-27-07, 12:16 AM
I didnt want to start a new thread so I just simply looked it up. I thought it was assigned, I was just told by an old friend when I was sure I was going infantry to get buddy buddy with an 0352 if you wanted to be a 0352. Thank you though.

aviator101
02-27-07, 06:38 AM
Bret, it may just be my computer acting funny, but didn't you say you haven't gone to Boot? If that is true why does your avatar say you are a Marine(could be my computer giving me the wrong image)?

Bret
02-27-07, 08:43 AM
As of March 23,07 I have become a proud new Marine!!!:flag: I leave for MCT within another week then to my MOS schooling. So anymore info anyone can share with me before goin to my MOS school would be great!

Soon2BeVIP
02-27-07, 08:52 AM
As of March 23,07 I have become a proud new Marine!!!:flag: I leave for MCT within another week then to my MOS schooling. So anymore info anyone can share with me before goin to my MOS school would be great!
Wait maybe I'm confused, but isn't March 23 like a month away. Typo?

Achped
02-27-07, 08:58 AM
February.

And if you looked at the original post, you'd see it was made in November, he hadn't earned the title yet, which is why he said "Im going to boot."

Bret
02-27-07, 10:14 PM
My bad... yeah Feb23rd,07 SRY

ZSKI
02-28-07, 11:57 PM
I went to MOS in lenardwood. It is a ****ing doggie base. I loved huslting the doggie's there for school out of there hard earned money. Amazing how much someone would pay for a cig.