PDA

View Full Version : What Exactly Does the Security Force...

WanderWannabe
11-18-06, 08:53 PM
...do? I have gotten quite a bit of half information, and the about.com site doesn't seem to have much more. It sounds almost like a guard.

jinelson
11-18-06, 09:12 PM
by WanderWannabe - It sounds almost like a guard.

Well what exactly did you think it was pup?

WanderWannabe
11-18-06, 10:03 PM
Well what exactly did you think it was pup?

Guessing a guard. Nobody accused me of being smart.

jinelson
11-18-06, 10:57 PM
Im not questioning your lack of knowlege Poolee or trying to make fun of you. I hope that is understood. MSG stands for Marine Security Guard and they are some toughest Marines serving a B-Billet. They guard our most important assets and the enemies most valuable targets. The photo below is a photo of LCpl Jesee Miner one of my brothers partipating in training at Marine Barracks 8th and I Washington DC and they train hard as you can see. He is a 0311 by trade and a Marine that would make Chesty proud. MSG may look pretty but they are some of the best trained and toughest in the Corps. I wish that you could see what the Marine that Jesee has the hand and arm of looks like lol, they. play rough! OORAH!!!

Jim

http://www.leatherneck.com/gallery/files/2/1/7/0/HQMC1.jpg

jackson07
11-19-06, 12:39 AM
Security Force and Marine Security Guard are two different beasts.

WanderWannabe
11-19-06, 06:45 AM
Im not questioning your lack of knowlege Poolee or trying to make fun of you. I hope that is understood. MSG stands for Marine Security Guard and they are some toughest Marines serving a B-Billet. They guard our most important assets and the enemies most valuable targets. The photo below is a photo of LCpl Jesee Miner one of my brothers partipating in training at Marine Barracks 8th and I Washington DC and they train hard as you can see. He is a 0311 by trade and a Marine that would make Chesty proud. MSG may look pretty but they are some of the best trained and toughest in the Corps. I wish that you could see what the Marine that Jesee has the hand and arm of looks like lol, they. play rough! OORAH!!!

Jim

http://www.leatherneck.com/gallery/files/2/1/7/0/HQMC1.jpg

No, sir. I should have thought out my original question a bit more before asking. I can feel stupid all on my own. Thanks for the info again.

Accord
11-19-06, 04:11 PM
...do? I have gotten quite a bit of half information, and the about.com site doesn't seem to have much more. It sounds almost like a guard.
MCSF and MSG's are two different things.

MCSF is Security Forces and is an enlistment option which infantry Marines can get. You're an 03xx Marine, but you spend 1.5 years in MCSF before hitting the fleet as an infantry Marine. MCSF Marines are responsible for the security at locations vital to national security, I originally had a MCSF contract but after talking to countless MCSF Marines, it was definitely something I didn't want to do. Unless you get sent to 8th & I, MCSF sounds like a pretty boring job.

MSG is a B-billet special duty which you can do later in your career, MSG Marines are the ones responsible for the security at every U.S. embassy around the globe. MSG duty is open to all MOS'.

WanderWannabe
11-19-06, 06:13 PM
MCSF and MSG's are two different things.

MCSF is Security Forces and is an enlistment option which infantry Marines can get. You're an 03xx Marine, but you spend 1.5 years in MCSF before hitting the fleet as an infantry Marine. MCSF Marines are responsible for the security at locations vital to national security, I originally had a MCSF contract but after talking to countless MCSF Marines, it was definitely something I didn't want to do. Unless you get sent to 8th & I, MCSF sounds like a pretty boring job.

MSG is a B-billet special duty which you can do later in your career, MSG Marines are the ones responsible for the security at every U.S. embassy around the globe. MSG duty is open to all MOS'.

What was boring about it, from their POV?

Accord
11-19-06, 06:23 PM
You stand a post at some place like stateside like Bangor, WA for 1.5 years while all your buddies from SOI are in Iraq.

Soon2BeVIP
11-19-06, 07:08 PM
Actually I heard the same thing from my friend Kayla's friend. It wasn't that he didn't get the job he wanted, they just made it sound like he'd definitley end up somewhere cool and then he ended up guarding like a prison or something. He said it's not a horrible job, it's what he thought it'd be, just he thought he was going to be stationed at Pendleton or somewhere big.

cmoline
12-26-06, 12:58 PM
Yep... I was at Bangor in Silverdale in 88/89 w/ MSFBn Pac.

It is, however, only as boring as your company gunny makes it. Ours would call alerts and pop cans of gas on us for fun. He was hard corps!
I loved it. Besides, where else can you tell a Captain to get out of his car and remain quiet... nukes on the other side of the line give you a whole lot of authority.

Barrette
12-27-06, 12:15 AM
Ya the not so boring part about it is working your @$$ off in your SOI and MOS school and pick up Fast Company like I am hopefully able to get that why I picked SF there are two security forces codes UV regular security forces and UW it pretty much just a security clearence issue...

Accord
12-27-06, 12:54 AM
Ya the not so boring part about it is working your @$$ off in your SOI and MOS school and pick up Fast Company like I am hopefully able to get that why I picked SF there are two security forces codes UV regular security forces and UW it pretty much just a security clearence issue...
How come you just don't go regular infantry? You know what FAST was doing in Iraq... standing outside the embassy in the green zone checking ID's. I'm sure if something serious at the embassy happened they would do a great job in responding, but still. I was on the verge of going security forces hoping to get FAST but once I found out what FAST was really doing I said forget about it. I'd rather be kicking in doors and hunting down insurgents (Isn't that what every Marine wants to be doing? :)), not checking ID's at a gate in the green zone for my first 1.5 years in the Corps.

Right now is the best time to be a Marine in the fleet, I was worried that if I did infact go MCSF that we would have already pulled out of Iraq and I would miss out by the time I finished my 1.5-2 year obligation before hitting the fleet.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-27-06, 12:59 AM
Sometimes, there is more than meets the eye. Remember, much of what FAST does is on a need to know basis. The more routine parts of the job are all you're going to learn about. <br />
<br />
That said, if I...

Accord
12-27-06, 01:11 AM
That's just a risk I decided I wasn't willing to take, mainly because I don't want to be a senior LCpl or even possibly even a Corporal who just hit the fleet after almost 2 years in Security Forces...