PDA

View Full Version : Active Reserve+ROTC?

SmokeyBandit
11-18-06, 08:07 AM
Anyone know if it is possible to join the Active Reserves and then enter the ROTC program. I've been looking in a few places and can't find a good answer.
Thanks!

Barret
11-18-06, 10:21 AM
I've heard that they do not accept Reservists doing ROTC. I'm almost positive that ROTC will kick you out once they discover this, though I've heard some Marines talk of people doing it, but those are just rumors. I do know for a fact that their once was a Marine that didnt tell his ROTC program about his Reserve status, and was kicked out after a bunch of time and work was put into the Program by himself.

proachbass91
11-18-06, 05:40 PM
You are not allowed to be a Reservist while in ROTC. However we had a Reserve Marine pick up a ROTC scholarship while at bootcamp, once he graduated the Marine Corps "released" him so he could do ROTC. Either way, you cannot do both at the same time.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-19-06, 10:03 PM
Either the messed up when I enrolled in the class for "the fun" of it, or it could be this way on purpose. But I was under the impression you could take the ROTC classes while in the reserves, you just couldn't take the scholarship.

I took one of the classes just to see what it was like, and nobody said a thing- even when I had to miss one of their functions to go to drill.

proachbass91
11-26-06, 07:02 PM
Either the messed up when I enrolled in the class for "the fun" of it, or it could be this way on purpose. But I was under the impression you could take the ROTC classes while in the reserves, you just couldn't take the scholarship.

I took one of the classes just to see what it was like, and nobody said a thing- even when I had to miss one of their functions to go to drill.

You can sign up for the classes, usually leadership classes, naval or military history ect... however any college student can take these classes. By completing all of the classes you can get a minor in military science (at least here at FSU) however taking these classes is not participating in NROTC. NROTC also consists of a lab, PT, Drill and other events that must be completed in order to recieve a commisioning.