PDA

View Full Version : Soldiers to receive holiday stockings

thedrifter
11-17-06, 06:37 AM
Soldiers to receive holiday stockings
By Charlie Breitrose/ Daily News Staff
Friday, November 17, 2006

NORTHBOROUGH -- The 65 Marines of Lima Company of the Third Battalion, Second Division will receive some holiday cheer this Christmas through the efforts of folks at Whitney Place Assisted Living Residences and the U.S. Marine Corps League.

Marlborough-resident Tiffanie DiDonato, who works as a receptionist at Whitney Place, is organizing the Christmas Stocking Drive to help the unit in which her boyfriend is stationed.

"We are going to send it to him and his company. There are a lot of guys," DiDonato said. "We are trying to do as many as we can."

Her boyfriend, Cpl. Eric Gabrielse, of Lyons, N.Y., is no the only connection DiDonato has with the military, it runs in the family. DiDonato’s mother was in the Air Force and her grand-father -- a Whitney Place resident -- served in the Navy World War II. She also has an "adopted brother," Mike Gilchrist, from Auburn, who was recently called up by the Marine Reserves.

She would have joined herself, DiDonato said, but she is physically disabled.

"Instead, I serve my country by trying to rally the community to let the troops know we love them," DiDonato said.

DiDonato is hoping people will bring all kinds of toiletries and snacks, and maybe some things to keep the Marine’s occupied.

"We would like to put in them, deodorant, granola bars, candy canes, holiday candy thing from home," DiDonato said. "And magazines, even DVDs, movies that people don’t want, they will watch it."

Other favorites are snack packs of the Cheez-its and the "On the Go" pouches of Crystal Light drink powder. They also need medicated foot powder and gloves and hats, but they must be black.

"We don’t want our troops running around with bright orange or fuchsia gloves," DiDonato said.

Another positive aspect of the stocking drive, DiDonato said, is it connects the veterans from the home with those in Iraq. In August, DiDonato had a similar care package drive and the seniors wrote letters to put in the boxes.

"A lot of the veterans (at Whitney Place) wrote personal letters to the Marines," DiDonato said. "I actually have some pictures, I sent disposable cameras, and I have pictures of all the Marines opening care packages and reading the letters."

The Whitney Place residents really seem to enjoy the connection with the troops.

"You can see the sparkle in their eyes," DiDonato said. "Some of the residents snuck in some cigarettes and some money, they remember when they were in the serving in World War II."

On Dec. 3 from 2-4 p.m. Whitney Place will host a ceremony for the drive. A color guard from the Marine Corps League and there will be a cake. Items can be dropped off at Whitney Place, or mailed there before Dec. to: Care of Tiffanie DiDonato, Whitney Place Assisted Living, 238 W. Main St., Northborough, MA 01532.

For questions or more information call 508-667-1332.

(Charlie Breitrose can be reached at 508-490-7461 or cbreitro@cnc.com.)

Ellie