PDA

View Full Version : A soldier returns home

thedrifter
11-16-06, 01:44 AM
A soldier returns home
By Lydia Crafts/ Staff Writer
Thursday, November 16, 2006

Winchester's Eddie Donohue has returned from his last tour in Iraq. But should the Marines need him again, Donohue said he'd be there for them in a heartbeat.

"I'm happy to be home, but I wouldn't mind going back," he said. "I didn't join the Marines to sit around. I joined the Marines to go out and do whatever needs be done."

Donohue has served the Marine Corps for four years. A few weeks ago he came back from a seven-month tour of Ramadi, where he was involved with suppressing the insurgency, training Iraqi forces and performing civil services.

Donohue's not one to wax on his wartime experiences. He describes Ramadi as, "kind of crazy" and "busy." From day-to-day and week-to-week, enemies and battle zones would change. Although his troop had a fairly clear understanding of the hostile and friendly areas in the city, there were no clearly defined lines. Ramadi is densely populated with plenty of places to hide. "Anything can pop up," he said.

When not on patrols, Donohue and his troop did their best to reach out to Iraqis. They handed out water, for example, or fixed generators. Some Iraqis were receptive, while others would stare at the Marines, or refuse to speak to them. "That didn't really bother us, though," Donohue said.

He had a somewhat different experience in his previous seven-month tour in Karmah. There, Donohue said the Iraqis were more responsive, and the fighting wasn't as dangerous because there was more open space and farmland. "The people in Karmah knew what we were doing there," he said.

But despite mixed reactions from Iraqis, Donohue believes the Marines are having a positive impact on Iraq. He admitted that to win the Iraqi people overall might be a nearly impossible feat. But Ramadi, he believes, was left in a more stable condition because of the Marines' presence; as one example, his troop stopped insurgents from traveling in and out of the city by setting up checkpoints.

Donohue also stresses that he would never take the experience back. Joining the Marines, he said, was the best decision he ever made in his life. "There's something special and intangible about the Marines," he said.

He originally joined the Marines because of his grandfather, Edward F. O'Connell, who spent most of his life serving the public in some capacity. O'Connell was a World War II veteran, Commander of the VFW and served on a number of town boards. "There's always been a sense in my family that you should do some kind of service," said Donohue.

Come March, when Donohue will leave the Marines, he himself will continue to serve the community as a firefighter. "I want to do something to stay active within the community," he said. "I'm not interested in a paper pushing job."

For all his sacrifices, Donohue stresses that he's not anything special. "Everyone over in Iraq is doing something everyday," he said.

Ellie