PDA

View Full Version : Marines Aren't Soldiers Are They?

docsavage
11-15-06, 05:57 PM
although the media seems to think so.

I am not the republican loving lifer that most of the people that visit this site seem to be, but I am a USMC Vietnam Veteran (26th Marines - Khe Sahn Combat Base) and there is one thing that still boils my marine corps blood. And that is when the media suggests that marines and soldiers are one in the same.

Everytime I hear this I cringe. For example in the recent Newsweek review of Flags of the Father, the word marine was not even used. The reviewer noted it was the story of the soldiers that raised the flag at Iwo Jima. I wrote a letter to the editor, but it was not published and I did not hear from the piece's writer.

So what do you all think? I think that any marine worth his/her salt should be insulted when the term soldier is used synonomously in place of marine. Of course, what do I know, I am a liberal

10thzodiac
11-15-06, 07:10 PM

I am not the republican loving lifer that most of the people that visit this site seem to be, but I am a USMC Vietnam Veteran (26th Marines - Khe Sahn Combat Base) and there is one thing that still boils my marine corps blood. And that is when the media suggests that marines and soldiers are one in the same.

Everytime I hear this I cringe. For example in the recent Newsweek review of Flags of the Father, the word marine was not even used. The reviewer noted it was the story of the soldiers that raised the flag at Iwo Jima. I wrote a letter to the editor, but it was not published and I did not hear from the piece's writer.

So what do you all think? I think that any marine worth his/her salt should be insulted when the term soldier is used synonomously in place of marine. Of course, what do I know, I am a liberal

Marines are soldiers

"Manila John" blushed when photographers snapped his picture while being kissed by a Hollywood starlet, smiled broadly when an oil portrait was unveiled in the tiny brick town hall, and was shyly grateful for the $5,000 war bond neighbors gave him. He turned down the bars of a second lieutenant. "I'm a plain soldier," he said, "and I want to stay one." From earliest memory, Basilone had wanted to be a professional fighting man. He had done a hitch in the Army before joining the Marines in 1940, and had served in the Philippines - hence his nickname.

<TABLE border=2><TBODY><TR><TH>http://www.cimorelli.com/pie/heroes/basilone_parade_100a.jpg</TH></TR><TR><TH>http://www.cimorelli.com/pie/heroes/basilone_moh_72.jpg</TH><TR></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SF
10thzodiac

rktect3j
11-15-06, 07:12 PM
He must of gotten one wrong. He was a Marine, not a soldier.

10thzodiac
11-15-06, 07:32 PM
He must of gotten one wrong. He was a Marine, not a soldier.

ALMAR 041/06

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="25%">http://www.usmc.mil/icons/ecblank.gif</TD><TD width="50%" colSpan=2>http://www.usmc.mil/icons/ecblank.gif</TD><TD width="25%">http://www.usmc.mil/icons/ecblank.gif</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="25%">Date signed: </TD><TD width="25%">10/12/2006</TD><TD width="25%">MARADMIN Number: </TD><TD width="25%">041/06</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="25%">

Subject:

</TD><TD width="75%" colSpan=3>

231ST ANNIVERSARY OF THE UNITED STATES NAVY

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD width="100%" colSpan=4><TT>R 120006Z OCT 06</TT>
<TT>FM CMC WASHINGTON DC(UC)</TT>
<TT>TO AL ALMAR(UC)</TT>
<TT>UNCLASSIFIED//</TT>
<TT>ALMAR 041/06</TT>
<TT>MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC CMC//</TT>
<TT>SUBJ/231ST ANNIVERSARY OF THE UNITED STATES NAVY//</TT>
<TT>POC/SGT M. BELL/ADMIN CHIEF/CMC STAFF GROUP/-/TEL:(703) 614-2326//</TT>
<TT>GENTEXT/REMARKS/</TT>
<TT>1. ON BEHALF OF THE ENTIRE MARINE CORPS, IT IS AN </TT><TT>HONOR TO SALUTE THE UNITED STATES NAVY ON THE OCCASION OF YOUR 231ST </TT><TT>ANNIVERSARY. WHAT BEGAN AS TWO SWIFT SAILING VESSELS FITTED WITH </TT><TT>CARRIAGE GUNS HAS FLOURISHED INTO THE MOST POWERFUL AND </TT><TT>TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED NAVY IN THE WORLD. </TT>
<TT>2. FROM THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR TO THE CURRENT WAR ON TERROR, THE </TT><TT>SAILORS OF THE U.S. NAVY HAVE REPEATEDLY PROVEN THEIR METTLE IN </TT><TT>COMBAT-ALWAYS PERFORMING WITH HONOR, COURAGE, AND COMMITMENT. SINCE </TT><TT>PRESIDENT THEODORE ROOSEVELT DEPLOYED THE GREAT WHITE FLEET, THE </TT><TT>NAVY HAS MAINTAINED A FORWARD PRESENCE AROUND THE GLOBE. TOGETHER, </TT><TT>THE NAVY-MARINE CORPS TEAM HAS ESTABLISHED A LEGACY OF DEDICATION, </TT><TT>FLEXIBILITY, AND SELFLESS SERVICE-WHETHER DEFENDING FREEDOM, </TT><TT>SAFEGUARDING OUR SHORES, OR PROVIDING HUMANITARIAN AID. </TT>
<TT>3. IN HONOR OF THIS ANNIVERSARY, WE ALSO RELISH THE OPPORTUNITY TO </TT><TT>RECOGNIZE THE IMMEASURABLE CONTRIBUTIONS OF THOSE SPECIAL </TT><TT>SAILORS-NAVY CHAPLAINS AND CORPSMEN-WHO MEND BOTH MIND AND BODY, </TT><TT>WHETHER UNDER FIRE IN DUSTY COMBAT ZONES, OR HERE AT HOME CARING FOR </TT><TT>RETURNING VETERANS AND MARINE FAMILIES. </TT>
<TT>4. AS OUR SERVICES CONTINUE TO WORK TOGETHER IN DEVELOPING THE </TT><TT>NAVAL AND AMPHIBIOUS WARFIGHTING CONCEPTS OF THE FUTURE, KNOW THAT </TT><TT>THE "SOLDIERS OF THE SEA" REMAIN PROUD TO STAND SHOULDER TO SHOULDER </TT><TT>WITH THE WORLD'S FINEST NAVY. HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND SEMPER FIDELIS. </TT>
<TT>M. W. HAGEE, GENERAL, UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS, COMMANDANT OF THE</TT>
<TT>MARINE CORPS.//</TT>

SF
10thzodiac

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

GunnyL
11-15-06, 07:49 PM
Well, 10thzodiac has done a fine job of letting us all know that he's one proud SOLDIER!

Eagle57
11-15-06, 07:54 PM
UNITED STATED MARINES, simply, ARE NOT SOLDERS, NOR IS A GREEN BERET, OR A NAVY SEAL.

ALL MEDIA WITH A HALF A BRAIN REPORT THESE CASUALTIES AS SUCH...
BY THEIR TITLE.
SO SEMPER-FI ...MARINE!

ANYONE WHO IS A MARINE, WHO THINKS THEY ARE SIMPLY A SOLDIER, MISSED SOMETHING, AND THEREFOR IS JUST THAT "A SOLDIER".

They should have joined the regular Army or Navy. Military Life would have been a lot easier on them.

Semper-Fidelis,
Danny:thumbup:

SgtHopperUSMC
11-15-06, 08:06 PM
Merriam Webster Dictionary:

2 marine n (1969) one of a class of soldiers serving on shipboard or in close association with a naval force; specif : a member of the U.S. Marine Corps.

1 soldier n one engaged in military service and esp. in the army

2 soldier vi 2: to make pretense of working while really loafing.:banana:

Hey, I didn't write the dictionary!!

I prefer Marine!!

10thzodiac
11-15-06, 08:22 PM
Well, 10thzodiac has done a fine job of letting us all know that he's one proud SOLDIER!

Don't take it so hard GunnyL, we're in good company !

"I'm a plain soldier, he said, "and I want to stay one."

http://www.jacklummus.com/Images/Images_A/BasiloneJ_1.jpg

John Basilone "The Pride of The Marines"

SF
10thzodiac

P.S. Whew, I thought for sure if the Commandant said we're "sea soldiers", you'd believe him at least.

FistFu68
11-15-06, 08:23 PM
:evilgrin: TELL IT TO A GREEN~BERET,MY PAPA WAS A (CAREER SOLDIER);FORMER GREEN~BERET LIFER AND DAM PROUD OF IT!R~A~ALL THE WAY!HE IS HONORED TO BE CALLED A SOLDIER,THE OLD GRIZZLY BEAR OF A MAN GET'S UPSET;TO PUT IT MILDLY IF CALLED ANYTHING ELSE! HEY 26TH.MARINE~MARINE IS SPELLED WITH A CAPITAL (M)!!! SEMPER~FIDELIS :usmc:

FistFu68
11-15-06, 08:33 PM
:beer: YOU KNOW WHAT 'NUMBA 1O? I'M STARTING TO LIKE YOU A SCOSH! THE NEXT TIME I HUMP THROUGH A MINE FIELD I'LL,LET YOU TAKE THE POINT;MY MAN! I'VE HUMPED IT TOO LONG~LOL~S/F SEA~SOLDIER!!!:usmc:

10thzodiac
11-15-06, 08:46 PM
"Chesty" The Story of Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC," by Jon T. Hoffman, LtCol USMCR, in which he named Chapter 1, "Making a Man and a Soldier" Genesis of a Marine.

SF
10thzodiac

10thzodiac
11-15-06, 09:48 PM
:beer: YOU KNOW WHAT 'NUMBA 1O? I'M STARTING TO LIKE YOU A SCOSH! THE NEXT TIME I HUMP THROUGH A MINE FIELD I'LL,LET YOU TAKE THE POINT;MY MAN! I'VE HUMPED IT TOO LONG~LOL~S/F SEA~SOLDIER!!!:usmc:

That would be funny stepping on a retirement investment http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/17.gif

Motorola's involvement with antipersonnel mines first came to light in a film shot in 1995 of a Khmer Rouge guerrilla in Cambodia unwinding the cap of a Chinese Type 72 antipersonnel mine, revealing the presence of a Motorola electronic chip.

By far the most recognizable name on the list of land-mine component producers is General Electric—the U.S. multinational that says it "brings good things to life." For more than a dozen years these "good things" included parts for deadly antipersonnel land-mines.

Subsequent research by Human Rights Watch has centered on GE's business ties with the Italian ex-land-mine producer Tecnovar Italiana. In September 1996 a Human Rights Watch Arms Project researcher visited Tecnovar's facility in the southern Italian town of Bari and saw sacks of GE's Lexan plastic powder on the premises. Tecnovar subsequently wrote a letter to Human Rights Watch stating that GE's Dutch and U.S. subsidiaries supplied Lexan plastic powder and synthetic rubber components to Tecnovar sufficient to manufacture 1.6 million antipersonnel mines and 1.2 million antitank mines from 1979 to 1993. Human Rights Watch has also obtained invoices that identify GE as a supplier of Lexan to Tecnovar.

It is instructive to note where some of the Italian mines ended up. Tecnovar in 1979 beat out half a dozen other big European companies to stock Egypt's land-mine arsenal. From 1979 to 1993 Tecnovar delivered a total of 1.4 million TS-50 antipersonnel mines and 200,000 VAR-40 antipersonnel mines to Egypt.

Guess who bought these from Egypt, yes, Saddam Hussein did and I don't have to tell you who is stepping on them now.

I guess Ole Smedley was right, "War is a Racket", and the Soldier is paying for it. Excuse me,http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/11.gif I meant Marine, forgot who I/we were for a seniors momenthttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/27.gif

SF
10th zodiac

RLeon
11-16-06, 12:14 AM
Technically as designation a marine is a soldier, but when addressing a member of the USMC they should be referred to as a Marine(big M) because it's an earned title not a designation.

USMCBOXER
11-16-06, 08:39 AM
"Chesty" The Story of Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC," by Jon T. Hoffman, LtCol USMCR, in which he named Chapter 1, "Making a Man and a Soldier" Genesis of a Marine.

SF
10thzodiac

Marines are exactly that, Marines. 10thzodiac - your own sig tag quote by Smedley even points this out. Why do you think he made this distincition if there were not one to be made? He didn't simply state "soldiers." He went on to separate Marines from the bunch. Go figure. Given some of your other posts, and the fact that you wear this quote by Smedley (and all other of his viewpoints) on your sleeve, it would seem you'd have this figured out by now.

DWG
11-16-06, 08:48 AM
Hey Z-10-I'm suprised you aren't raising more hell about being accused of being a "republican loving lifer" than wanting to be a sojer.
:p

OLE SARG
11-16-06, 08:51 AM
I worked hard for the title "U. S. MARINE" AND don't call me no soldier!!!!!!!!!!
AGAIN, as usual, tenth is off in his own little world!!
I swear he has a pile of books of quotes by this computer!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

DWG
11-16-06, 09:01 AM
I worked hard for the title "U. S. MARINE" AND don't call me no soldier!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI, I think that is exactly the difference between a soldier and a Marine-it has been stated before that as soon as you sign your enlistment papers you are a soldier, but Marines are recruits (boots, maggots, scum, etc.) until they are first called Marine on graduation day. Under the broad umbrella of Military you have soldiers as opposed to sailor and airmen; then you have the elite subclass of Marines! We all earned that Vulture, Hook and Eightball! SF
:)

10thzodiac
11-16-06, 10:07 AM
Marines are exactly that, Marines. 10thzodiac - your own sig tag quote by Smedley even points this out. Why do you think he made this distincition if there were not one to be made? He didn't simply state "soldiers." He went on to separate Marines from the bunch. Go figure. Given some of your other posts, and the fact that you wear this quote by Smedley (and all other of his viewpoints) on your sleeve, it would seem you'd have this figured out by now.

Thanks, Skipper, check out my new thread, "This ought to hurt some peoples brains around here !" I was waiting for the right person to bite hard, so we could get a Marine Corps History 101 lesson in .

Bye your leave, sir http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/03.gif

SF
10thzodiac

outlaw3179
11-16-06, 10:39 AM
Zodiac if you not proud to be a Marine thats fine. Go be a communist somewhere else. Why is it that your are always trying to stir the pot. Im a Marine and if you called me a soldier , I dont care how much paraphenelia or pamphlets or documentation you presented Id still punch you in the face. I am a United States Marine. If I wanted to be a doggy then I would have joined the army.

b0x-k1ck4
11-16-06, 10:45 AM
I can recall in boot camp (MCRD PISC) some 15 years ago, being advised by DIs to -Grap, twist, pull, and kick (for those of you who may recall line training) any nasty civillian who (beholding the glorious Dress Blues) dared to call a US Marine a simple soldier. I too am in favor of maintaining the clearly identifiable distiction that separates the USMC from all other inferior branches.

box-kicker

FistFu68
11-16-06, 12:47 PM
:evilgrin: (LMAO) OUTLAW, MY MARINE BROTHER;WHILE YOU'R AT IT WITH THE OTHER HAND THROW A PUNCH IN THAT FRIGGIN LADDERWELL'S FACE TOO!:usmc:

GunnyL
11-16-06, 01:25 PM
10thzodiac,

I'm not taking it Hard Brother; whatever floats your boat!
I'll just let you know: I'm not a soldier, I'm a MARINE.
You can call yourself whatever you want! Makes no difference to me!
And I believe that John Basilone was a Soldier before he joined the Marine Corps.

Dave Coup
11-16-06, 04:37 PM
If Zodiac wants to be a soldier then good for him. As for me, I'm no soldier and never will be. Anyone that doesn't like it can kiss my A$$.

Semper Fidelis

Dave

usmchauer
11-16-06, 05:42 PM
Hoooah? How do you say oorah with a D1CK in your mouth? think about it.

rktect3j
11-16-06, 06:39 PM
</TD><TD width="75%" colSpan=3>

231ST ANNIVERSARY OF THE UNITED STATES NAVY

SF
10thzodiac

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Well, you convinced me. Just call me dogface 10th.

outlaw3179
11-16-06, 06:45 PM
Hoooah? How do you say oorah with a D1CK in your mouth? think about it.

that is probably the funniest sh*t Ive ever heard lol.

10thzodiac
11-16-06, 08:59 PM
Zodiac if you not proud to be a Marine thats fine. Go be a communist somewhere else. Why is it that your are always trying to stir the pot. Im a Marine and if you called me a soldier , I dont care how much paraphenelia or pamphlets or documentation you presented Id still punch you in the face. I am a United States Marine. If I wanted to be a doggy then I would have joined the army.

SOLDIER :p

10thzodiac

bootlace15
11-16-06, 09:25 PM
LMAO!!!!!!! What the heck are you all grab ashing about. zodiac don't mean nothing,he must have a job in management,always starting crap to have fun.Deal with it,or bite the bag.

bootlace15 out

FistFu68
11-16-06, 09:55 PM
:usmc: DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY~THE MEN'S DEPARTMENT~(LMAO):usmc:

thedrifter
11-17-06, 07:50 AM
Marines not soldiers?

Apparently my school newspaper got a bunch of hate mail recently for captioning a picture as 'Soldier' returns home, instead of 'Marine' returns home. One woman, from a university in California, even wrote a letter, where she said 'Marines are NOT Soldiers. Just as Sailors are not Marines and Soldiers are not Airmen. Every branch of the military has it's own distinct label.' She goes on to suggest that our editor 'walk up to one [a Marine] and ask if he/she is in the Army.'

Now, I called up my mom and asked her, since she's in the army. She told me that Marines are Marines, Soldiers are Army, Airmen are Airforce, and Sailors are Navy. This was not what I originally thought she was going to say, so I was in the wrong. However, as our editor points out (despite her misspelling soldier several times in her editorial): "We're one country; we need to stand united and not let titles stand in our way."

I realize that there is a difference between a cadet and an enlisted man (or woman) or officer, but I don't really see why so many people got upset that a caption claimed a Marine was a soldier. The paper's website lists three complaints about this. Either way, the guy was fighting over in Iraq and is now home. Regardless of whether he was part of the Army or the Marines, he was fighting for our country. And he made it home.

All military members (with the exception of some professionals, such as physcians) have to go through a rigorous training. And the Marine's training is recognized to be the most difficult. So there should be some sort of pride that's associated with making it far enough to be considered a Marine. But to the general public, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the branches of the military, ESPECIALLY between the Marines and Army, since both generally fight on land. But the Army also fights in the air along with the Air Force. The Navy has ships that hold airplanes... are they flown by Airmen or Sailors? Does it really matter?

I'm truly sorry if I have offended any Marines, or family of Marines, but I don't see why everyone has to get so defensive over a title, particularly when all the titles are aiming for the same end. Coming home safe from the end of the war.

Ellie

DWG
11-17-06, 08:22 AM
Since the Marine Corps is the smallest branch of the miltary services we may consider ourselves, rightly so, a "minority". As a minority we reserve the right to be "p***y" about what others may say about or call us. We are just demonstrating our "branchial" pride when we insist on being called Jarhead/Americans, Marines, or what ever other designation we so choose at any given time!

:evilgrin: ;)

10thzodiac
11-17-06, 08:40 AM
Since the Marine Corps is the smallest branch of the miltary services we may consider ourselves, rightly so, a "minority". As a minority we reserve the right to be "p***y" about what others may say about or call us. We are just demonstrating our "branchial" pride when we insist on being called Jarhead/Americans, Marines, or what ever other designation we so choose at any given time!

;)

You can call me anything you want, except late to dinnerhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/02.gif, that's all I ask :thumbup:
SF
10thzodiac

DWG
11-17-06, 08:52 AM
You can call me anything you want, except late to dinnerhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/02.gif, that's all I ask :thumbup:
SF
10thzodiac And if they said "Marines to the front of the line" you be screaming the loudest "THAT'S ME"!

:marine:

recon532002
11-17-06, 09:03 AM
:evilgrin:
Brothers;

All the Time I was In I was never called a soldier I found the word offensive. To think a Marine is a simple dog face is just don't cut it. (Devil Dog) Hell Ya!. Even the Army Personnel I served with called me Marine. I had the same opportunity to correct a reporter here in Canada about the term Soldiers Raising the Flag at Iwo. He was very opologetic and forwarded the Info I gave him to his Editor. Some of these putts have no Idea what it means to be a MARINE Don't hold it against them they have no Experience

SEMPER FI RECON:iwo:

10thzodiac
11-17-06, 09:41 AM
And if they said "Marines to the front of the line" you be screaming the loudest "THAT'S ME"!

Is that the chow line or the front http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/03.gif

DWG
11-17-06, 10:05 AM
Since you were talking about "don't call me late to dinner", I would say, chow line-BUT! With the Corps, it might be at the front line-it never hurts to ask a question or two.

;)

10thzodiac
11-17-06, 10:19 AM
Since you were talking about "don't call me late to dinner", I would say, chow line-BUT! With the Corps, it might be at the front line-it never hurts to ask a question or two.

;)

Whew, you had me worried there for awhile, which front http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/11.gif

DWG
11-17-06, 11:18 AM
That not paying attention to detail is why you never got those dress blues-read before you sign-Lot of difference between Peace Corps and Marine Corps.

:banana: :scared: :(

10thzodiac
11-17-06, 01:06 PM
That not paying attention to detail is why you never got those dress blues-read before you sign-Lot of difference between Peace Corps and Marine Corps.

:banana: :(

In my five years in all three active divisions in the Corps, I could count on both hands with fingers left over how many Marines that I knew with Dress Blues below the rank of sergeant.

Did you own a set back then, or ever ?

SF
10thzodiac

DWG
11-17-06, 01:11 PM
:devious:

SF
10thzodiac
Hell no! Them suckers cost 50 bucks, damn near (or over) a months' pay! And I assure you that I wasn't anywhere near honor man for thr platoon. Never saw any reason for them for myself.
$50.00=:beer: x many

10thzodiac
11-17-06, 01:26 PM
Hell no! Them suckers cost 50 bucks, damn near (or over) a months' pay! And I assure you that I wasn't anywhere near honor man for thr platoon. Never saw any reason for them for myself.
$50.00=:beer: x many

Sure, "you can sh*t a sh*t bird, but you can't snow the snow man, "Never saw any reason for them myself." LMAO

You must think you were the only one that didn't fall off the tunip truck, "Never saw any reason for them myself" !

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:1mqQwU1HgpiKdM:http://www.oo-rah.com/Store/gifs/seastories/ssimg17.gif (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.oo-rah.com/Store/gifs/seastories/ssimg17.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.oo-rah.com/Store/seastories/ss17.asp&h=280&w=300&sz=25&hl=en&start=17&tbnid=1mqQwU1HgpiKdM:&tbnh=108&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddress%2Bblues%2Bmarine%26svnum%3D10%2 6hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG)

rktect3j
11-17-06, 01:27 PM
In my five years in all three active divisions in the Corps, I could count on both hands with fingers left over how many Marines that I knew with Dress Blues below the rank of sergeant.

SF
10thzodiac
I bought mine when I made LCPL. Along with two of my buddies.

DWG
11-17-06, 01:39 PM
Sure, "you can sh*t a sh*t bird, but you can't snow the snow man, "Never saw any reason for them myself." LMAO

You must think you were the only one that didn't fall off the tunip truck, "Never saw any reason for them myself" !

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:1mqQwU1HgpiKdM:http://www.oo-rah.com/Store/gifs/seastories/ssimg17.gif (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.oo-rah.com/Store/gifs/seastories/ssimg17.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.oo-rah.com/Store/seastories/ss17.asp&h=280&w=300&sz=25&hl=en&start=17&tbnid=1mqQwU1HgpiKdM:&tbnh=108&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddress%2Bblues%2Bmarine%26svnum%3D10%2 6hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG)

:confused: Never saw any reason for them for myself. I would have never worn them and they were expensive. Like I said $50.00(in TJ) x:beer: = many, many,many

Hank6667
11-17-06, 03:15 PM
:usmc: First time on board ,Once a Marine always a Marine ,not soldier:evilgrin:

outlaw3179
11-17-06, 08:55 PM
I bought mine on visitors Thursday.

Hank6667
11-17-06, 09:29 PM
Me either until I got out then there was the Ball

Hank6667
11-17-06, 09:33 PM
I used them at one of my duty stations , but they didn't fit any more sure could use them for MARINE CORPS BALL , BUT to many $$$$$ now .:usmc:

RLeon
11-17-06, 11:29 PM
Like a typical boot I went out and bought my bress blues on Camp Geiger as a Pvt. I Never used anything more than the Dress Blue "D", and that was 3 years later when I was a Cpl.

jinelson
11-17-06, 11:41 PM
Hank6667

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/156100.jpg

SuNmAN
11-19-06, 12:47 AM

Dear Sergeant,

Please allow the college boy with no war experience and studies military history to offer his two cents on why you should not be offended by the term "soldier".

The term soldier is a generic term for someone who fights under disciplined command. As opposed to a "warrior" who fights but for himself and is loath to obey orders from anyone.

sol‧dier  /ˈsoʊldʒər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sohl-jer] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 3. a person of military skill or experience: George Washington was a great soldier.

A soldier may not be a Marine, but a Marine is a soldier. On the same token - Force Recon Marines are also soldiers, as are US Army Rangers, Delta Force Operators, Navy SEALs or British SAS Operators.

lol...I thought I was being smart but now I don't know how to further elaborate

hope it helps lol

SuNmAN
11-19-06, 12:53 AM
heres a good thread

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37145

agree completely.

RLeon
11-19-06, 03:00 AM
Semper Fi my fellow soldiers.
:sick:

Hobson
11-19-06, 05:28 AM
I don't know about you, but I am a ****ing Marine! If you say, "ALL SOLDIERS STAND UP" I will stay sitting down until you address me by my proper title! Marine! That's all. Semper Fi.

WALLY
11-19-06, 09:01 AM
Anyone Defending Or Fighting For Cause Is An Soldier But When It Becomes Military Yes We Are Soldiers But We Are Foremost Marines

DWG
11-19-06, 09:49 AM
I don't know about you, but I am a ****ing Marine! If you say, "ALL SOLDIERS STAND UP" I will stay sitting down until you address me by my proper title! Marine! That's all. Semper Fi.
I agree with Hobson; I ain't answering to soldier (unless it's for some cool free stuff{like beer}; then I'll go into a slouch and shuffle on over,LOL) :beer:

FistFu68
11-19-06, 01:58 PM
:usmc: ONCE UPON A TIME~I HAD THE HONOR OF ATTENDING;THE U.S.ARMY'S FORMAL AIRBORNE SCHOOL.FORT BENNING,GEORGIA!347~GREEN~BERET'S WERE IN MY CLASS.THE ARMY TAC.OFFICER'S,WHO TRAINED US~5~MARINES,PLUS ALL THE MEMBER'S OF OUR CLASS #40.WE WERE ALWAY'S CALLED MARINES,NEVER JARHEAD'S,LEATHERNECK'S!IT WAS ALWAY'S MARINE,LOUD AND CLEAR!THEY HAD ALOT OF FRIGGING RESPECT FOR US!I WANNA, LIVE A LIFE OF DANGER; I WANNA BE A RECON~RAIDER!:usmc: OOHRAH~SEMPER~MARINE

RLeon
11-19-06, 03:08 PM
Forget what some silly article says, forget what books in the past were titled, or what recruiting posters have stated...none of thats matters one bit.
It's what a Marine wants and deserves to be called, not what others want to call us.
Thank you, thank you very much.

:flag: Semper Fidelis Marines! :flag:
:usmc:

10thzodiac
11-19-06, 09:30 PM
Dear Sergeant,

Please allow the college boy with no war experience and studies military history to offer his two cents on why you should not be offended by the term "soldier".

The term soldier is a generic term for someone who fights under disciplined command. As opposed to a "warrior" who fights but for himself and is loath to obey orders from anyone.

sol‧dier  /ˈsoʊldʒər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sohl-jer] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 3. a person of military skill or experience: George Washington was a great soldier.

A soldier may not be a Marine, but a Marine is a soldier. On the same token - Force Recon Marines are also soldiers, as are US Army Rangers, Delta Force Operators, Navy SEALs or British SAS Operators.

lol...I thought I was being smart but now I don't know how to further elaborate

hope it helps lol

You hit the nail on the head :thumbup:

SF
10thzodiac

P.S. My Cousin is a sergeant/sniper on your police department in your village

RLeon
11-20-06, 12:56 AM
Just to be a hard a$$...US Navy SEALs are Sailors, and the reason Delta, Rangers, and Green Berets are soldiers is cause they're Army.
Thank you, thank you very much!

Butskie51
11-20-06, 03:34 AM
Be all u can be and I am more than that B.S., cause I am MARINE!!!!!
Stick that s--t in your stars
Dan Fischer
P.S.
Army of one or GUNG HO? ( Thats Chinese for working together )

DWG
11-20-06, 06:21 AM
Be all u can be and I am more than that B.S., cause I am MARINE!!!!!
Stick that s--t in your stars
Dan Fischer
P.S.
Army of one or GUNG HO? ( Thats Chinese for working together )

Dude, that's so old school-now it's "Army Strong", Guess when you're numbah 2 ya gotta keep trying different slogans til one works-like SEMPER FI!
:iwo:

10thzodiac
11-20-06, 09:18 AM
I personally like the three "D's" as a slogan: "Don't do anything dumb, dangerous or dirty."

You'll be happier and live longer http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/27.gif

SF
10thzodiac

DWG
11-20-06, 09:21 AM
I personally like the three "D's" as a slogan: "Don't do anything dumb, dangerous or dirty."

You'll be happier and live longer http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/27.gif

SF
10thzodiac
The Air Force already has claim to that one!:D

10thzodiac
11-20-06, 10:34 AM
Wonder if they search Air Force personal when they fly in uniform on commercial airlines. <br />
<br />
If you ask my five grandchildren, 3-13 y/o what are the three D's, they can tell you; the 9 y/o is the...

DWG
11-20-06, 10:41 AM
In the future, when you fly, could you stand up and identify yourself? If I happen to be on board I would like a chance to change my mind about the trip.
:scared: :(

10thzodiac
11-21-06, 07:14 PM
WHAT IS A MARINE?

The USMC is 231 years of romping, stomping, hell, death and destruction. The finest fighting machine the world has ever seen. We were born in a bomb crater, our mother was an M-16 and our father was the devil. Each moment that I live is an additional threat upon your life.

I am a rough looking, roving soldier of the sea. I am cocky, self-centered, overbearing, and I do not know the meaning of fear, for I am fear itself. I am a green, amphibious monster made of blood and guts who arose from the sea, festering on anti-Americans throughout the globe. Whenever it may arise, and when my time comes, I will die a glorious death on the battle field, giving my life to mom, the Corps, and the American flag.

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army. On the 7th day, while God rested, we overran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since.

We live like soldiers and talk like sailors and slap the hell out of both of them. Soldier by day, lover by night, drunkard by choice, MARINE BY GOD!!!

RLeon
11-21-06, 11:31 PM
WHAT IS A MARINE?

The USMC is 231 years of romping, stomping, hell, death and destruction. The finest fighting machine the world has ever seen. We were born in a bomb crater, our mother was an M-16 and our father was the devil. Each moment that I live is an additional threat upon your life.

I am a rough looking, roving soldier of the sea. I am cocky, self-centered, overbearing, and I do not know the meaning of fear, for I am fear itself. I am a green, amphibious monster made of blood and guts who arose from the sea, festering on anti-Americans throughout the globe. Whenever it may arise, and when my time comes, I will die a glorious death on the battle field, giving my life to mom, the Corps, and the American flag.

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army. On the 7th day, while God rested, we overran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since.

We live like soldiers and talk like sailors and slap the hell out of both of them. Soldier by day, lover by night, drunkard by choice, MARINE BY GOD!!!

There you go, God trumps all. Marine all the way!
:D

RLeon
11-21-06, 11:40 PM
My mother was an M14 by the way.
http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/gallery/albums/closeup/Birch_M14.jpg

Dave Coup
11-21-06, 11:48 PM
M-14 Ooh Rah. The safety is off on that weapon!