PDA

View Full Version : Could my recruiter be bsing me and my friend?

PooleeWill
11-15-06, 02:05 PM
Hello,

errrrr......I kind of have a problem as of now and want to get it straigthened out before I leave for boot camp. I recieved a phone call earlier this month my recruiter talking about how a couple guys that were supposed to ship out this month couldn't due to some run ins with the law. Well I said let me talk to my friend (were in the buddy system) and he said he would be willing to do some sort of "bonus/promotion" if we shipped out early. Now you might say "dude what are you thinking this is the Marines not the army".

So far I have not felt betrayed by him, but as far as I am concerned hes a good guy and all and has not let me down once. I just talked to him on the phone today and he sounded kind of unsure of the whole promotion thing but he kept saying don't worry about it. Now I talked to a friend of mine who was a Marine and he said thats a great deal to be promoted to PFC and all but he said I should make sure to get it in writing. And When I asked my recruiter about getting something in writing and he said "no don't worry about it if you don't get promoted before you leave by the time you graduate you will be promoted". I guess im pretty confused on the situation and need some feed back, who I should talk to? Should I just listen to him? Anyways times running short and I want to get everything taken care of before I leave.

also please no bashing or flaming.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-15-06, 02:33 PM
If it isn't in your contract it doesn't exist. Get it in writing.

LDO Capt
11-15-06, 02:44 PM
If you trust your recruiter ship...when I was a RSS NCOIC, if a problem came up like the one you are describing, I would ship another DEPer and give them the credit for a contract(s) that I wrote after they shipped to "take care of them". Of course I could never put that in writing, but on the other hand, if I didn't do what I said I would lose credibility in the community that I was working in, something no recruiter wants. It comes down to the Marine's word...and do you trust him.

PooleeWill
11-15-06, 02:47 PM
If you trust your recruiter ship...when I was a RSS NCOIC, if a problem came up like the one you are describing, I would ship another DEPer and give them the credit for a contract(s) that I wrote after they shipped to "take care of them". Of course I could never put that in writing, but on the other hand, if I didn't do what I said I would lose credibility in the community that I was working in, something no recruiter wants. It comes down to the Marine's word...and do you trust him.

He has gotten me this far and I do trust him but when someone sounds unsure thats when I start to question. I can't go to a different dep this is the only one around here that is closest.

sgt tony
11-15-06, 05:10 PM
If it not in your contract it don't have to happen but also he may be able to do it behind the scene. It does happen and he can also help you after boot camp also. If you trust him then do it if not just tell him and ship on your own date.

Soon2BeVIP
11-15-06, 06:36 PM
Well I say trust your recruiter if you think he's been up front with you til now. Recruiters are good people to have on your side, they can help you out with a lot of things. He's not going to flat out lie to you, at least not the normal recruiter. If anything he might be promising you something that is just a possibility. Consider the differences. If you keep your shipdate you leave later, but lose that promotion possibility. If you leave now you can become a Marine sooner and have a possibility of that promotion being true. I guess you just need to think about if there is anything you need to get done that is important, before you go off to boot camp. If there is nothing really that big happening between the shipdates, you should go with the earlier one. Let us know what you decide

Old Marine
11-16-06, 09:29 AM
Recruiters never fib. Even if they are behind on their quotas.

David Jameson
11-16-06, 09:48 AM
Old MARINE, Have you been drinking ? LOL

kenny256544
02-15-07, 12:26 PM
about the recruiter helping you get a promotion after boot camp... ive seen it happen so if u dont get it as promised he can probally help you out himself

MacAngus
02-15-07, 12:39 PM
I would go for it. The same as everyone else here i say if he's been good to you so far he will be good after.He needs you so he'll probobly give you the promotion after graduating boot.Maybe you should get recriters assistance after boot and he'll give you pfc then. Remeber he's going to want the good street cred with the people and if you go out there and talk with other kids about joining on RA he's gonna come thru for you.Also don't forget if he does get you promoted in boot you have a chance to make LCpl if you really bust your ass in boot. Further more he can get you RA when you are in the fleet so you don't lose your leave days.I hope everything works out for you.

Christ0ph
02-15-07, 02:37 PM
If you are in shape, I say ship out no matter what! No one likes waiting to go to bootcamp!

ggyoung
02-15-07, 05:11 PM
Get in writing and don't be too diapointed when it dos not happen. The only thing that "Mother Green" said that they would do for sure was one warm meal a day. Guess what++++++there were days that we did not even have a meal of any kind.

jinelson
02-15-07, 05:36 PM
Im with Old Marine why should they lie for one and for another it wouldnt be worth their career to get caught. Over the years I have read many comments here that oppose my arguement. If you think...

Wolfpack22
02-15-07, 05:55 PM
i say get it in writing. maybe he's not blowin smoke up your ass, but he not be able to actually deliver either. and then you're starting out with a bad taste in your mouth. my recruiter told me i could take my SAT's in boot camp, which was a half truth. you can take them in the FLEET, but not in bootcamp. he didn't need to make that up to get me in, i was already gonna join, but he did anyway and it ****ed me off. he may be a great guy, but get it in writing. any marine who says recruiters don't lie is either an officer or a recruiter.

ggyoung
02-15-07, 06:40 PM
My recruiter GySgt. Gram niver lied to me one bit. He told me that my first 2 minuits at bootcamp I would hate him. He was right. What I am saying here is once in you belong to Mother Green. They can and will put you were you are needed. As far as what I said about meals is true. Whyle on FSB Ryder we were scocked in by fog for a verylong time. We ended up in the trash dump looking for old C-s that had not been opened. Ham and MoFo's were very good at that time.

jinelson
02-15-07, 08:50 PM
Wolfpack22 - any marine who says recruiters don't lie is either an officer or a recruiter.

Now, I will say that I was neither an officer or a recruiter and any Marine that cant capitalize Marine like it means something isnt much of a Marine! They must be giving Corporol warrants out like bumper stickers today!

Jim

candi
02-16-07, 08:08 AM
If it isn't in your contract, don't hold your breath.
My recruiter told me something similar and my dumb a$$ didn't even check the contract for it..I just signed the dotted line...
But my recuiter was kind of a sketchy character, he had some interesting relationships with some of the recruits and I am not the only one he lied to.

Most recruiters, I am sure, are honest. But still, cover your own a$$.

wdbeck
02-16-07, 11:55 AM
Best advice I've seen thus far comes from Jim Nelson.

s/f

cplbrooks
02-17-07, 12:32 PM

This is exactly what your recruiter is talking about doing. He cant put it in writting because you techinically dont rate a promotion unless you referred two contracts, have 15 college credits or have JROTC time. Your recruiter is doing you a favor by getting you promoted by "giving" you the referals that you should have already gotten on your own. The only thing that a recruiter can "give" you in your contract is a shipping bonus.

You should trust your recruiter. He isnt going to screw you. He is a Marine not a used car salesman. Dont ever forget that.

Recruiters have two missions every month. One is for a certain number of contracts and the other is the number of people shipping to boot camp. Both are vital. Why dont you help out your recruiter and the Marine Corps and ship when he asks you to? If he is rewarding you for it then he is doing you a favor.

Wolfpack22
02-20-07, 03:53 PM
whoops.... my bad Jim Nelson, you're right. that was pretty dumb of me.