PDA

View Full Version : Another Poser

Ed Palmer
11-15-06, 10:07 AM
National veterans groups say Clarence Lee's claims to have been a decorated helicopter pilot and a prisoner of war during the Vietnam War are bogus. <br />
<br />
The wheelchair-bound Lee was featured in a...

crate78
11-15-06, 01:13 PM
Sounds like a lot of holes in his story.

Regarding "wannabe's" who have never been in the Corps, the quickest way to nail them is to ask what their MOS was. Duty stations and organizations can be researched and faked, but the typical wannabe hasn't a clue as to what an MOS even is. And no Marine, past or present, ever forgets his MOS.

SF
crate

CplGJHarris
12-05-06, 06:09 PM
Additionally, the easy question to ask them to find out if they aren't a legitimate POW is to ask them when their "REFNO" was. Each POW, returnee or still missing were all given a Reference Number aka REFNO. If has to hesitiate before giving it or if he doesn't know what you are talking about then you have your proof.
If you'd like to go an take a look at the thousands of men and women who have claimed POW status, the MOH, SF and Green Beret .... it will make you sick. As the family member of a Marine that is still missing in action in South Vietnam, it angers me beyond belief that someone would pretend to be what my cousin gave his life for and what I still fight for.
If I ever come face to face with one of these individuals, they better know to duck ....

Mary Ann

CplGJHarris
12-05-06, 06:11 PM
Additionally, the easy question to ask them to find out if they aren't a legitimate POW is to ask them what their "REFNO" was. Each POW, returnee or still missing were all given a Reference Number aka REFNO. If has to hesitiate before giving it or if he doesn't know what you are talking about then you have your proof.
If you'd like to go an take a look at the thousands of men and women who have claimed POW status, the MOH, SF and Green Beret www.pownetwork.org .... it will make you sick. As the family member of a Marine that is still missing in action in South Vietnam, it angers me beyond belief that someone would pretend to be what my cousin gave his life for and what I still fight for.
If I ever come face to face with one of these individuals, they better know to duck ....

Mary Ann

greensideout
12-05-06, 07:07 PM
Quote: "Lyndel Evens wrote the following in an e-mail: "If Lee was a Marine Corps helo pilot, he was the only one ever. The Marine Corps, to my knowledge, and I retired from 30 years in the Navy, has never had warrant officers as pilots, period."

LMFAO---This squid must not have spent much time around the FMF. 30 years and not a clue. We had Warrant's at the stick.:D

crate78
12-05-06, 08:14 PM
I was just going to comment that sometime in the late 1950's a buddy of mine was accepted for training as a helo pilot. Although I never saw him or heard from him again, I'm sure part of the program was that somewhere along the way he would emerge as a WO.

crate

Sgt Leprechaun
12-06-06, 06:49 AM
One good thing, members of the media are starting to do some more basic research on these fakers. And, it's easy to do with the internet these days. Still, these people continue to BS their way thru life.

Heck, just check out 'myspace' and you'll see tons of posers. All the geeks on there who have been "Special forces, ranger, recon, CIA", notice how you never see vets who were in supply, admin, motor T, etc? LOL.

drumcorpssnare
12-06-06, 10:16 AM
A few years back, when I still partook of "brewed refreshments", I was in a local pub with an 'alleged' Vietnam veteran. He was clearly beyond being drunk, and began babbling about 'flashbacks' and threatening to kill the bar patrons. When he brandished a 10" Bowie knife and challenged anyone there to a fight, the barmaid freaked! I gave her one of those, "Don't worry," signs, finished my 20 oz. draft, and threw the empty glass as hard as I could, at the menacing 'veteran.' It caught this guy right between the eyes! Everybody gasped. He sat for about 3 seconds, unphased...then fell over backward on the floor. I took his knife and threw it across the street into some bushes. Went back inside and this guy had just got to his feet. I asked him what unit he was with in Vietnam. He was like..."Vietnam?...I was never in Vietnam. Did you just hit me?"
Anyway, I was the local hero for a day or two.:banana:
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

Sgt Leprechaun
12-06-06, 10:25 AM
Hilarious. I run into these guys all the time in my line of work (PD). I enjoy having some fun with them most of the time, letting them dig themselves in deeper and deeper before I drop the hammer on em LOL.

ggyoung
12-06-06, 10:48 AM
GSO+++++++++++I don't remember any warents as pilot but the Marine Corps had "the flying sergents" They were still flying as late as 1964-65.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-06-06, 10:56 AM
Wasn't there a CWO helo pilot shot down and POW'd during Gulf War I?

ggyoung
12-06-06, 01:11 PM
Sgt Leprechaun+++++++I just remembered that I had talked to a Marine CWO while visting with my Navy son at NAS Leemore, Calif. He was a helo pilot and he told that there a lot of Warrent pilots now.

SuNmAN
12-06-06, 01:18 PM
I was told by my recruiter that all Marine pilots are full commissioned officers.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-06-06, 01:24 PM
I know fixed wing pilots are...but not sure on the helo drivers...

SuNmAN
12-06-06, 01:39 PM
I know fixed wing pilots are...but not sure on the helo drivers...

I've been talking to the OSO (Officer Selection Officer) Captain Schoonover and his assistant Gunny Perkins at the University of Illinois about going to OCS and becoming a pilot.

They said it depends on your rank on a test or something and your rank at TBS then they will assign you to fly F/A-18s, C-130s, Super Cobras, V-22s, Super Stallions or whatever

you really have no choice lol, unless you rank high, then you get dibs

Zulu 36
12-06-06, 01:47 PM
Wasn't there a CWO helo pilot shot down and POW'd during Gulf War I?

He was an OV-10 pilot. I think he was a CWO4 and one of the last WO pilots still around.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-06-06, 02:08 PM
Ahhhhh. Thanks!